Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2022, 01:33 PM

5,981 posts, read 2,235,359 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
Should medical marijuana licenses be handed out based on race?

There is an article in today's USA Today papers saying black farmers are being discriminated against. I can't paste it yet because it's today's paper. But as far as I can tell, they didn't meet the requirements that were set forth in the rules and now they are claiming racism. Should they even be able to get licenses because they are black?

https://wusfnews.wusf.usf.edu/politi...ical-marijuana

Black farmers vie for Florida license to grow medical marijuana

Florida voters in 2016 passed a constitutional amendment that broadly legalized medical marijuana. That led to a 2017 law establishing guidelines for the industry, including earmarking a license for a Black farmer because none of the African-American farmers in Florida could meet eligibility requirements for an earlier round of state licenses..
Florida's Medical Marijuana Grower Licenses were Rigged from the start and likely discriminated against anyone not bankrolling campaigns with deep pockets.

Florida let 1 big grower essentially write the legislation which ensured only big companies could afford to even grow for Florida. Florida requires you to control the grown marijuana from farm to store. In other words, you have to have the money to start growing, store and package the Cannibus, and have the storefronts to sell it. Florida is a HUGE STATE, very few have that kind of startup money. It's like forcing Pfizer to both make the drug and have the retail stores sell it, no CVS for you.

You cannot be a "Retailer" only or a grower only. You must own the entire supply chain and that is just way too much for most to get in. A lot of Orange Grove farmers that are losing crops to fungus thought this would save them by having a new crop that has actual profit margins worth the work of farming but NOPE. It was rigged big time.

And the Medical Marijuana customers are getting fleeced since there is little price pressure or competition with so few licensed retailers/growers in Florida. Florida is milking the Blue Hairs and retirement communities.

Last edited by Daryl_G; 07-26-2022 at 01:43 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2022, 01:37 PM

8,168 posts, read 3,126,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl_G View Post
Florida's Medical Marijuana Grower Licenses were Rigged from the start and likely discriminated against anyone not bankrolling campaigns with deep pockets.
That's correct. Modern government, both local and federal are a total sell-out.

Old 07-26-2022, 02:13 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 22 days ago)

29,552 posts, read 16,539,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Well, not surprisingly black people and other minority groups have less overall money so they are more impacted by lobbyists making it a big expensive legal mess to get licensed so that their big operations can monopolize the process.

In the interest of bi-partisanship, this goes directly to republicans noting excessive govt. regulation that hampers free market competition.

In this case, the target of such legislation isn't specifically meant to hurt any groups, it's just meant to limit competition in general and focus the profits in the hands of the connected.

I think my initial focus would be on excessive regulation as a barrier to entry.
you and i disagree alot.... like a lot, LOL. But you can be objective sometimes.

Because I live on the state line, i have been following this for years

Here are things you need to grow marijuana

1. A farm(LOL)
2. a Ag sells business sellers license for 5 years ( you dont need a business license to own and operate a farm, and you dont even need an Ag license if you dont sell to a retailer)
3. A medical director with a medical degree
4. A retail space to sell it( growers must grow, process, and sell own product, so no mills, no farmers markets)
5. Armed security for the farm, retail store and any other facility
6. 60,000 application fee for license.

there are more barriers to this than just what I listed, but these are the main ones. some websites i have seen have said that even if a company had all of this already in place, it would still take 1 million to get off the ground.

So imagine being a farmer(of any color honestly) and trying to purchase a store front, and a small processing plant, and someone with a medial degree to be your medical director, and then finding out that even though you have been legally farming in Florida for 6 generations, you cant get a license to grow marijuana simply because you didnt have the right kind of business license.

quick google search says only 22 companies have a license in florida

Old 07-26-2022, 02:17 PM

18,447 posts, read 8,272,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
Your entire post is made up and juvenile. Calling regulations excessive when they are, is called the truth. You should try it out vs making things up like you did in the post I'm quoting.
failed the regulations did you....LOL

what I posted is 100% true....what's next...lowing the qualifications to graduate school?.....too late for that one

you don't lower requirements because some people are "special" and can't do it

Old 07-26-2022, 02:43 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 22 days ago)

29,552 posts, read 16,539,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrie22 View Post
you mean like lowering the regulations to get a drivers license...
If the regulation to get a driver's license was a 5 million dollar fee that stopped everyone except the very rich, then yes.

Old 07-26-2022, 02:53 PM

25,573 posts, read 17,281,298 times
"Medical Marijuana" has about as much credibility as "Medicinal Brandy".
Neither one solves a problem.

Old 07-26-2022, 04:06 PM

8,609 posts, read 2,308,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
Should medical marijuana licenses be handed out based on race?

There is an article in today's USA Today papers saying black farmers are being discriminated against. I can't paste it yet because it's today's paper. But as far as I can tell, they didn't meet the requirements that were set forth in the rules and now they are claiming racism. Should they even be able to get licenses because they are black?

https://wusfnews.wusf.usf.edu/politi...ical-marijuana

Black farmers vie for Florida license to grow medical marijuana

Florida voters in 2016 passed a constitutional amendment that broadly legalized medical marijuana. That led to a 2017 law establishing guidelines for the industry, including earmarking a license for a Black farmer because none of the African-American farmers in Florida could meet eligibility requirements for an earlier round of state licenses..
I didn't think you could be more wrong than usual, but then you typed this.

Nowhere in the article you linked does it indicate what you claim about meeting requirements, nor them claiming racism now because of these requirements.

And I can't even begin to wonder what you mean by "Should they even be able to get licenses because they're Black?"

Were you attempting to question A license getting set aside for a "Black farmer"?

Old 07-26-2022, 04:56 PM

39,869 posts, read 26,508,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
Smart move keeping the business for people in have lived state vs carpetbaggers. But why does anyone need a license?
Quote:
foothold in Florida’s medical-marijuana industry, where licenses regularly fetch upwards of $50 million.
Greed on the part of government.

Old 07-26-2022, 08:08 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,012,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FC76-81 View Post
Curious if there are any black farmers who want to grow anything besides drugs. Seriously, I'm reading this for the very first time, that there are black farmers wanting to grow something and it's not food, it's drugs.

If you read the article you would see that many of the Black farmers applying have been farming for years and years and years.

Lots of stories have been done on how the system was set up to squeeze black farmers out of programs for years.....the USDA apparently even manipulated data so that it wouldn't prove there policies were racist.

Here's one story but there are tons of them.
https://fortune.com/2020/10/09/black...acism-pigford/

Old 07-26-2022, 08:09 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,012,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
"Medical Marijuana" has about as much credibility as "Medicinal Brandy".
Neither one solves a problem.

Are you a doctor?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies