Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2022, 08:12 AM

6,022 posts, read 2,843,063 times

Advertisements

https://www.axios.com/2022/07/24/bio...nst-jason-crow

I cannot believe what I am about to type, but I actually agree with this Democratic Congressman. I find it prudent to point out that this comes from a Democratic member of Congress, as these types of stories are usually labeled as "far-right, nutjob conspiracy theories".

Fortunately, I came to the conclusion the Congressman did, years ago. My trust in institutions dropped like a rock, about two and a half years ago, so I figured why should I trust a company to keep by DNA safe... It sounds as though I was right to be skeptical...

From the article: (Representative Crow is talking about biological warfare.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AXIOS
"That's what this is, where you can actually take someone's DNA, you know, their medical profile, and you can target a biological weapon that will kill that person or take them off the battlefield or make them inoperable," Crow said.

"You can't have a discussion about this without talking about privacy in commercial data, and the protection of commercial data, because expectations of privacy have degraded over the last 20 years."

“People will very rapidly spit into a cup and send it to 23andMe and get really interesting data about their background — and guess what? Their DNA is now owned by a private company. It can be sold off ... with very little intellectual property protection or privacy protection, and we don't have legal and regulatory regimes that deal with that."

"That data is actually going to be procured and collected by our adversaries for the development of these systems," Crow warned.
While I share the Representative's sentiments, I fail to see how a law would prevent this. Laws do not prevent anyone from doing anything. They provide the basis to punish people. Criminals do not care about laws.

I, also, find Senator Ernst's comments frightening and worrisome:
Quote:
Originally Posted by AXIOS
"If we look at food security, and what can our adversaries do with biological weapons that are directed at our animal agriculture, at our agricultural sector?" Ernst asked.

"Highly pathogenic avian influenza, African swine fever, all of these things have circulated around the globe, but if targeted by an adversary, we know that it brings about food insecurity. Food insecurity drives a lot of other insecurities around the globe," she added.

"There's a number of ways we can look at biological weapons and the need to make sure not only are we securing human beings, but then also the food that will sustain us," Ernst said, adding that she believes food will be increasingly weaponized in the future, pointing to how Russia has weaponized food in its war in Ukraine as an example.
This is why I have soured, quite a bit, on modern technology...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2022, 08:24 AM

30,253 posts, read 23,733,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordBronco1967 View Post
https://www.axios.com/2022/07/24/bio...nst-jason-crow

I cannot believe what I am about to type, but I actually agree with this Democratic Congressman. I find it prudent to point out that this comes from a Democratic member of Congress, as these types of stories are usually labeled as "far-right, nutjob conspiracy theories".

Fortunately, I came to the conclusion the Congressman did, years ago. My trust in institutions dropped like a rock, about two and a half years ago, so I figured why should I trust a company to keep by DNA safe... It sounds as though I was right to be skeptical...

From the article: (Representative Crow is talking about biological warfare.)

While I share the Representative's sentiments, I fail to see how a law would prevent this. Laws do not prevent anyone from doing anything. They provide the basis to punish people. Criminals do not care about laws.

I, also, find Senator Ernst's comments frightening and worrisome:

This is why I have soured, quite a bit, on modern technology...
“People will very rapidly spit into a cup and send it to 23andMe and get really interesting data about their background — and guess what? Their DNA is now owned by a private company. It can be sold off ... with very little intellectual property protection or privacy protection, and we don't have legal and regulatory regimes that deal with that."

And that is exactly why I've refused to take those tests. People never look forward, they only think in the "right now".

And let's not forget about water. People always talk about food, but never about water. You can last longer without food, and you can find things to eat that you wouldn't normally eat, but no water? You're doomed.

I drink a lot of milk...a LOT! And every time I'm done with the gallon of milk, I clean out the plastic jug, let it dry, rinse it out again just to be sure, and then fill it with water. I have over 30 gallons of water sitting in my closet right now, and I add to it, weekly. It's not enough to last forever, but I'll last longer than others if water is also used against us. The fact that no one talks about it is why I decided to focus on it.

Old 07-25-2022, 08:38 AM

15,945 posts, read 12,285,067 times
I'd be more worried about the large number of men who will suddenly realize they are not the fathers of their children. In any case, if China unleashes a serious bio-weapon targeting specific genomes, we can simply use nukes and turn their entire country into glass. Still think our species is going to survive extinction the next 200 years? Between our own nature and potentially sentient AI that might want to kill us, I'd put my bets on the long odds in vegas, but I wouldn't be around to enjoy the money.

Old 07-25-2022, 08:40 AM
Status: "Apparently the worst poster on CD" (set 27 days ago)

27,646 posts, read 16,129,622 times
China probably already has all the dna info necessary.

Old 07-25-2022, 08:44 AM

9,870 posts, read 4,641,933 times
It's amazing the number of people the voluntary give up what should be or most consider private medical information. But this is the 'me' era. And blissful ignorance. They're going to hope, use the sheer luck that their 'personal' information is not abused, misused etc.

More importantly people are not just giving up their information but blood family information. Why does the world need access to private family medical information.

Old 07-25-2022, 10:07 AM

3,220 posts, read 1,604,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltine View Post
China probably already has all the dna info necessary.
They already got a copy of the OMB database. Anyone who ever had a security clearance, they have your file with your whole life history, your fingerprints, etc.

They can add the dna info to that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies