Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2022, 06:37 PM

30,432 posts, read 21,255,233 times

Advertisements

Seems Walmarts have bad carts bart. None want to roll right dwight. Seems like everyone in in the way stocking stuff when i go there 7 am on a Sat about every 6 weeks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2022, 07:02 PM

29,823 posts, read 24,908,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ1988 View Post
Seems Walmarts have bad carts bart. None want to roll right dwight. Seems like everyone in in the way stocking stuff when i go there 7 am on a Sat about every 6 weeks.

I shop at small mom and pop markets for the most part. The prices aren't much higher, and the shopping experience is much more pleasant. Very often, I find things I like at those smaller markets that I can't find at the big supermarkets and such.

Old 07-26-2022, 07:27 PM

9,880 posts, read 4,646,105 times
Retail big box stores have been spotty for years. It usually means they're under staffed or the management isn't paying attention to detail. Also the work load/productivity requirements keep most employees focused on their primary assigned task only.

Also many people pay trash no mind regardless of setting which it will be ignored even in the workplace.

That and some the public/customers are slobs.

Old 07-26-2022, 07:53 PM

5,992 posts, read 3,731,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
What you refer to as a "Swing shift" doesnt exist in the context im discussing.

Im saying a company highers you at the promise of 26 hours per week, and then only gives you 1 4 hour shift per week.

the premise that retail looks anything like it did 30 years ago is laughable, retail doesnt even look like it did 10 years ago.

using myself as an example, i was a full time college student in 2011 getting 40 hours a week at the same company I work at now. that isnt possible any more. They have literally cut hours to a point that only Department supervisors get full time hours. And any college student is lucky to get one shift.

hopefully this helps you guys understand.
You are (or were) a college student and you don't know the difference between "hire" and "higher"????

Old 07-26-2022, 08:08 PM

12,387 posts, read 8,152,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas863 View Post
You are (or were) a college student and you don't know the difference between "hire" and "higher"????
Or it just is proof that when time pressed and an organization is running too lean that even things like English recognizing software misses things and a sentence can "be a disaster" as easily as the floors of a given store can. No of course someone like a lawyer who bills by hours can just charge off proofreading as more hours he can charge.

Old 07-26-2022, 08:09 PM

10,456 posts, read 4,040,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankNSense View Post
There are plenty of jobs that need doing. Doesn't mean that a person stocking the shelves at a grocery store needs to make $50,000/year.

They are called "Entry Level" jobs for a reason. If a store wants to pay someone $30/hr to stock shelves more power to them. But if they are going to then charge me $8 for something I can get at a different store for $4. Guess what...I'm going to the $4 store.

Unless you are going to pay every single person the same amount regardless of what they do, there will always be a "better" job.
And this way of thinking is exactly why so many manufacturing jobs left the USA and went to China.

Old 07-26-2022, 08:25 PM

3,560 posts, read 1,654,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankNSense View Post
There are plenty of jobs that need doing. Doesn't mean that a person stocking the shelves at a grocery store needs to make $50,000/year.

Doesnt mean they need to expect $7 an hour workers to afford $1500 a month rent. If workers are only worth $7 an hour, then those $1500 ENTRY LEVEL apartments may only be worth $200 a month. So how about those apartment owners only charge $200 a month since thats all they are worth?

See its proportional. COST OF LIVING does matter. Cheap labor doesnt just live on the air in Cincinnati, they dont just go poof into netherworld when their shift is over and poof appear again at start of new shift. They have to eat, put roof over their head, and somehow get to that miraculous job only worth $7 an hour. Wont even mention MEDICAL CARE. We are only first world country that doesnt have national health. Heck even many second tier countries have some kind national health and dont play the "bankrupt the sick" kind of game.

Old 07-26-2022, 08:26 PM

5,992 posts, read 3,731,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
Part timers don't want to work 32 hours. A part timer working 32 hours is an employee who would like to be working 33+ hours and getting full time benefits. Who the heck would say "Nah, I don't want vacation time." A person who wants to work actual PT hours wants to work a few days a week, maybe 12-20 hours, NOT nearly full time with no benefits.
I understand what you're saying, but an employee's ability to dictate work hours, pay, and benefits depends directly upon his value to the employer. If an employee isn't satisfied with a job that has no benefits, then they need to do something to acquire the skill or knowledge that will make themselves valuable enough to an employer who DOES offer good pay and good benefits.

As a kid in high school many years ago, I carefully observed guys who were 10 to 15 years older than me as to their jobs and incomes. It didn't take long to figure out that the ones who had the best incomes either had a college degree or had acquired some skill or training that made them valuable to an employer.

That made me determined to get a college degree even though my parents were poor and couldn't afford to pay for my college education. I worked plenty of parttime jobs that had zero benefits and low pay... and I was glad to get the jobs at the time. Years later, once I had obtained an engineering degree, I had my choice of many good jobs with good pay and benefits.

So, the solution to low paying jobs with no benefits is to improve/change yourself, not try to force the employer to pay you more than you're worth because that doesn't work.

Old 07-26-2022, 08:28 PM

78,416 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyebee Teepee View Post
things are so disorganized, they can't even use good titles on their marquees
The major news networks websites are no better.

Or just be looks at threads title thingy. Gud grammy there.

Old 07-26-2022, 08:30 PM

78,416 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cttransplant85 View Post
Discount retail stores like Walmart and Dollar General have always been a bit messy and unkept but in my area(greater Charlotte) even Target and higher end grocers are a mess and the discount retailers are a total disaster. Very few staff, nothing in the right place, bare shelves, dirty. Is this the case in your area as well?
Wow. Dollar general and Walmart are not up to your high standards?

This past week I dined at McDonalds and the waitress took forever to come take my order and then one of my cheeseburgers was a little dry so I asked to speak to the chef.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies