Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2022, 07:48 AM

5,764 posts, read 11,373,540 times

Advertisements

Simple bridge? The thread title is waaaay understated - it should say very famous bridge. The 6th St Viaduct is an icon of central Los Angeles, having appeared as a set location in over 40 Hollywood films, many of them classics or cult films - Live & Die in LA, Terminator 2 & 3, Grease, Gone in 60 Seconds, etc. Add in a few dozen TV shows or series, music videos, and even video games like Grand Theft Auto. And it is surprising that lots of people want to make a selfie video on the famous bridge of some car stunt or other dumb stuff to post online? No, it should not be a surprise.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sixth_Street_Viaduct

What is needed is a plan to deal with the issue. The bridge was recently re-opened after a long period of being closed during renovation and reconstruction. Maybe they need to close the bridge for awhile, install speed bumps (lowrider and fast cars hate those), a lot of noisy and car-rattling plastic raised road dots, annoying traffic lights and speed cameras, and a divider in the middle.

I also don't like to read threads that trash talk an entire younger generation for dumb stuff that a relatively small number of people might like to do. What current older generation, including boomers from my generation, did not do their share of dumb and revolting stuff?

Old 07-27-2022, 07:53 AM

16,590 posts, read 8,610,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
A bridge is just a means for travel by cars and pedstrians.

The lawless thug culture so prevalent throughout inner city America has even ruined something as simple as being able to drive across a basic bridge. You can't build a simple bridge for transportation anymore without lawless thugs causing so many problems that the bridge becomes unusable.

Police have had to shut down the 6th street bridge 4 nights in a row since opening a mere week ago. The bridge has now been shut down permanently until a median barrier and surveillance cameras can be installed.

I can't begin to imagine this kind of lawless thug mentality in the 1950s or even the 1990s. This, and street takeovers for donuts and wheelies. Large areas of American cities are descending into an entrenched third world mentality, and I fear there is no going back.

This is ridiculous. No manners. Rude. Completely inconsiderate. I would expect this kind of behavior from unruly, bratty, spoiled toddlers not from adults.

How did society devolve to this point and when did it happen? A bridge is just a thing needed to drive somewhere. This childish, unlawful behavior is just absurd. Do wee need to adopt public canings to address this problem, or what?

This malevolent subculture is rapidly destroying civilized society.

Two words - Modern Democrats

People need to stop voting for the modern Democrat party, which is no longer the party of your grandparents or even your parents.
I have not voted for a Democrat for at least 15 years, and considering the current crop, I can't envision voting for any in the future.
Heck, I have relatives & friends who were lifelong (D's), and several of them left the party because the party abandoned them.

Old 07-27-2022, 08:17 AM

17,795 posts, read 13,692,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by recycled View Post

I also don't like to read threads that trash talk an entire younger generation for dumb stuff that a relatively small number of people might like to do. What current older generation, including boomers from my generation, did not do their share of dumb and revolting stuff?
Yes, it's pretty ridiculous. However, it works both ways. The younger generations blame the older ones for the ruination of society because of their greed and the like.

It's been that way pretty much forever. Old people blaming young people for being too wild and crazy. Young people blaming old people for stealing their future.

Old 07-27-2022, 08:21 AM

37,971 posts, read 22,151,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by remco67 View Post
nope dont sell the cars. Sure some extra money would be nice but the Police need to fight back the modern thug way. Create a youtube channel and allow donations/following with proceeds going to some police fund or similar. Then Crush the Cars slowly on livestream advertising the owners name and how much they spent on the car so they and the World can see their toy destroyed. Perhaps with a nice music soundtrack.
They will just collect a check from their car insurance provider. Just take their freaking car and sell it at auction. This way the punk will still have to make the monthly car loan payments for a car he doesn't even own anymore.

Old 07-27-2022, 09:23 AM

41,957 posts, read 75,192,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by recycled View Post
The 6th St Viaduct is an icon of central Los Angeles, having appeared as a set location in over 40 Hollywood films, many of them classics or cult films - Live & Die in LA, Terminator 2 & 3, Grease, Gone in 60 Seconds, etc. Add in a few dozen TV shows or series, music videos, and even video games like Grand Theft Auto. And it is surprising that lots of people want to make a selfie video on the famous bridge of some car stunt or other dumb stuff to post online? No, it should not be a surprise.
Truth. Why the city didn't think this would happen is the real surprise.

Quote:
What current older generation, including boomers from my generation, did not do their share of dumb and revolting stuff?
Exactly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
Two words - Modern Democrats

Old 07-27-2022, 11:17 AM

21,474 posts, read 10,575,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenRider View Post
Those guys doing haircuts on a stool set up in the middle of a four lane road on the bridge, the foolishness is almost unbelievable. Anything for social media views and comments I guess....
This is what TikTok has wrought. It’s ridiculous.

Old 07-27-2022, 11:56 AM

8,553 posts, read 10,978,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
Street takeovers happen in most major metros now. Half the cars in the videos are either Chargers or Challengers.
When the chargers and challengers went into production, Dodge went out of it's way to produce commercials with this exact behavior, which is why they are still being done on the streets of many cities presently.
I ranted, even to the company that the ads influenced young people to purchase one of their cars so they could emulate what they saw in the Dodge commercials, and they should stop these type commercials.
Obviously, Dodge never responded to my inquires.

Old 07-27-2022, 01:47 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
A bridge median should probably have been in the original design but too late now. I guess you can't film things like a plane landing on a bridge though...priorities.

I like the idea of putting up the temp median strips and confiscating any vehicles caught being disruptive. Sell, destroy, whatever but don't give it back to the owner under any circumstances.

Old 07-27-2022, 02:04 PM

8,609 posts, read 2,308,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
The report didn’t say, but was there an awful head-on collision or some pedestrian killed? They kept claiming to want a barrier or median so I assume there is nothing to prevent the cars from drifting into oncoming traffic. But I agree with you, simply having a patrol car there should do the trick. Unfortunately, the way people just don’t follow the law these days and police are hindered from enforcing it, that might not work anymore.
the bridge is curved and 2/3 of a mile long. that can't reasonably be handled by 1 car or even 1 at each end. there's not a hard barrier between traffic lanes (and no, the traffic lanes aren't divided by barrier either) and a pedestrian walkway. and some idiots are walking up the arch supports.

Old 07-27-2022, 02:33 PM

43,094 posts, read 18,269,535 times
Just your "typical Americans" causing havoc for everyone else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies