Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2022, 10:15 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,707,495 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
I give Trump credit for actually positing a solution to this problem.

For the most part all Republicans like to do is complain about stuff like this. To actually solve the problem would is not on their radar because they would have one less thing to complain about.

Their only solution is to demand that homeless people straighten up and act right.

But they don't think the government should be involved in helping them do so.

It would be nice if the private sector and charities could handle this problem, but it is simply too big a problem.

So kudos to Trump for offering a solution, however, the tent thing is kind of funny.
The charities typically act as financial conduits between government $ and the needy.

Old 07-27-2022, 10:17 AM

8,609 posts, read 2,306,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
A relocation program of undesirable people to camps, nah no parallels there.
well, since your source of the clip ended it mid-proposal, hard to say what the rest of it was.

The Ninth Circuit ruled that a local government couldn't criminalize the act of homelessness UNLESS shelter was available.

A tent city would be available shelter.

Old 07-27-2022, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
SCOTUS no longer respects any precedents and will do whatever the GOP (Trump) wants.
not surprised to see your information base is about as strong as your stock market acumen.

Old 07-27-2022, 10:20 AM

14,762 posts, read 8,093,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyebee Teepee View Post
not surprised to see your information base is about as strong as your stock market acumen.

No personal attacks just because you don't like someone else's idea or opinion.

Old 07-27-2022, 10:26 AM

17,303 posts, read 12,228,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyebee Teepee View Post
well, since your source of the clip ended it mid-proposal, hard to say what the rest of it was.

The Ninth Circuit ruled that a local government couldn't criminalize the act of homelessness UNLESS shelter was available.

A tent city would be available shelter.
"You have to move people out, some people say that's horrible"

Sure sounds like a forced relocation to me.

He also mentions using the Secret Service to clear tents in the same speech.

Old 07-27-2022, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
They still have done that in modern times. My cousin and her husband bought a townhouse in a then-smallish-town about fifty miles upstate from NYC back in the late 80s or early 90s. They got it brand-new, signing on before it was even built. Eventually they started a family and planned to sell the townhouse and buy a single-family home in which to raise their kids.

However, the mayor of New York City made arrangements to ship a pile of homeless people to that town, turning an abandoned business into a shelter for them. They sent them up there with the promise of shelter and food around the same time my cousin and her husband were looking to sell their townhouse, which was not far from this new shelter. Well, they couldn't sell it because anyone coming up that way would see homeless people on the street begging for money, using the streets and sidewalks for a bathroom, or just generally loitering around. The small, pretty, town in a semi-rural area now looked like gathering place for vagrants.

I don't remember if they sold the townhouse at a loss or let it go into foreclosure, but they moved in with my aunt and uncle in their home in New Jersey, where they still live. Uncle's long gone, but my elderly aunt is still there, and I believe the last kid just graduated from college.
therein lies one major issue - lack of enforcement.

I assume most cities have certain anti-begging laws (in my neck of the woods a permit and sometimes a safety vest is required), surely have anti-public urination/defecation laws, most drugs are illegal.

I'm sure that you, like me, never see this enforced.

Old 07-27-2022, 10:29 AM

1,134 posts, read 404,517 times
Quote:
Reagan's California was the canary in the coal mine on deinstutionalization leading to such increased homelessness. But the good intentions of deinstutionalization won out over the concerns of what was happening on the streets. Then it went national.

The institutions were absolutely problematic. But I'm not so sure the alternatives have worked out better for anyone involved.
Fully agree. Unfortunately the alternatives are what we're experiencing now. And it's REALLY bad in Los Angeles and surrounding areas. People that appear to be almost raving lunatics, as well as alcohol and drug addicts and petty thieves.

Some are just down on their luck, but that's a smaller percentage for sure.

Old 07-27-2022, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Reagan's California was the canary in the coal mine on deinstutionalization leading to such increased homelessness. But the good intentions of deinstutionalization won out over the concerns of what was happening on the streets. Then it went national.

The institutions were absolutely problematic. But I'm not so sure the alternatives have worked out better for anyone involved.
oh, it's a huge issue. the inability (or at least excessive hoops) involved with involuntary committal, and the lack of facilities of some type, have allowed the issue to fester slowly until we get where we are.

Old 07-27-2022, 10:30 AM

13,232 posts, read 7,286,273 times
Quote:
"You have to move people out, some people say that's horrible"

Sure sounds like a forced relocation to me.
Only way to resolve it is deal with the problems they have which mostly are a result of opioids. Not sure if you notice but after the FDA, and DEA cracked down on doctors over prescribing opioids a lot more homeless showed up on street corners panhandling.

Old 07-27-2022, 10:30 AM

46,943 posts, read 25,964,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesychios View Post
Sounds like a concentration camp.
Presumably, they'll be offered a chance to work. Perhaps an arrangement where the hardest workers could win their freedom from the camp? Would make for a cool motivational motto over the camp entrance, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies