Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2022, 10:51 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,851,639 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by _OperationGumSlop_ View Post
If most people just had pistols then that would suffice. Simply because there’s only him.

I’m just picturing some Mel Brooks movie where a mom pulls out an AR from under her stroller and puts on a bandana.
I'd watch that movie. He's awesome

Quote:
Rambo is fiction.
You take that back!

Quote:
Too many Americans think they live in a movie.
Yes we do love our "heroes". It's our history of using violence to fight for our freedoms. That's what guns are about protecting our freedoms and saving lives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2022, 10:59 AM

11,143 posts, read 10,704,481 times
Quote:
I don’t wanna disarm citizens. I just don’t think a weapon like that should be easily obtainable.
Sorry, but the only logical conclusion to the “that weapon” argument is total disarmament. But for fun, I’ll play along.

Assuming AR-15s were to be banned, what would your reaction be to the next school/mass shooting that uses a different type of firearm? Would that firearm then be the justifiable target of bans, in your opinion, or would you simply say “Well, we banned AR-15s, nothing more to do.”? Because if you ban the Ar-15 or any other type of firearm it isn’t going to stop crazy people from doing violent things.

Old 07-27-2022, 10:59 AM

15,398 posts, read 7,464,179 times
Quote:
Cops were afraid to apprehend a perp with an AR during Uvalde. Think about that for a minute.

The ode weapons are designed to rip you to shreds. Which it literally did to those kids, which made many of their bodies unidentifiable.
Any centerfire rifle would have caused the same damage. The AR-15 is not some super powerful firearm, it's far less powerful than the average deer rifle.

Old 07-27-2022, 11:04 AM

29,443 posts, read 14,623,440 times
Quote:
If most people just had pistols then that would suffice. Simply because there’s only him.

I’m just picturing some Mel Brooks movie where a mom pulls out an AR from under her stroller and puts on a bandana.

Rambo is fiction.

So, you have issue with semi auto rifles, but are okay with pistols.

You sure about that ? What are your feelings on this one ? I've got a CPL so, can legally carry this concealed, or in my vehicle. Oh, and 33 round magazines are available for it.

https://www.extarusa.com/shop/pistols/ep9

Old 07-27-2022, 11:19 AM

11,143 posts, read 10,704,481 times
Quote:

Rambo is fiction.

You’re against AR-15s, which are used in a very small number of crimes. Yet you have no problem with handguns, which are used in the vast majority of crimes involving firearms. Explain the logic on that, if you would.

Old 07-27-2022, 11:25 AM

Quote:
While true, handguns aren’t the ones used to mow down entire crowds.
You are aware that rifles are used in a small percentage of mass shootings , aren't you ? The majority of them, handguns were used.

Again, explain your logic.

Old 07-27-2022, 11:27 AM

3,989 posts, read 6,573,136 times
I don't buy that banning anything will solve this issue. If someone wants to shoot up a school, they will just use something else. I equate it to drug use - most drugs are illegal, but people who want them still can find ways to get them.

Unfortunately, I believe this ongoing school violence problem has become a mix of mental health issues, tied to a need to be "noticed"/notoriety by the nut jobs that do it, further fueler by the media and its obsessive coverage of said incidents. There is more complexity to it than that, of course, but bottom line in I don't think (in this country), banning anything will solve the problem.

Old 07-27-2022, 11:30 AM

9,501 posts, read 4,332,846 times
Quote:
Cops were afraid to apprehend a perp with an AR during Uvalde. Think about that for a minute.

The ode weapons are designed to rip you to shreds. Which it literally did to those kids, which made many of their bodies unidentifiable.
1) There is nothing special about an AR that made cops afraid to apprehend a perp during Uvalde. You made the up. Try harder.
2) ARs aren't designed to "rip you to shreds". You made that up as well.

The entire premise of this thread is nonsensical and based on the bizarre notion that a particular firearm must have a proven track record of savings lives to be legal. That is, of course, beyond asinine.

Old 07-27-2022, 11:33 AM

21,461 posts, read 10,562,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
Using the cataclysmic failure of government agents to do their job as an argument to disarm citizens is ridiculous. Those cops would have been scared of a BB gun.
I know right? Don’t they realize they are making OUR argument? We will always be our first responders in any emergency. You can’t rely on the police.

Old 07-27-2022, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Hmm, that’s interesting.

Most of them I’ve seen happen from rifles. Can you refresh my memory on any significant mass shootings involving handguns?

It’s so common now that I lost track.
Now this cuts off in 2019, so the numbers might be changed slightly. Spend some time on that site and educate yourself. It will help you in these discussions.

Between 1988 (when officials began documenting detailed information) and August 4, 2019, assault rifles were used in only 14 percent of those events.

https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/res...ass-shootings/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies