U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2022, 12:17 PM

66,628 posts, read 55,868,733 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrie22 View Post
and then at the same time...people gravitate to their own.....because people do better among their own
This isn't always the case. How I have done never depended on being around my own..
Rate this post positively

Old 07-31-2022, 12:23 PM

20,308 posts, read 13,326,487 times
Diversity is great and it is what has made America Great but humans are tribal types that prefer to hang out with others that look, act, think and feel like them.

My wife has an example of this from before I met her. She is from Ireland so there was very little diversity when she was young. Brown eyes were an oddity for example. Years ago she worked at a manufacturing place that had a diverse group of employees. During the shift everyone would get along just fine but at lunch she noticed that the Black women would hang out together and the White women would be in their own groups. It wasn't racism but it was the pure fact that the White Women had little in common with the Black ones.

I saw it for myself when I worked in an area that had a lot of immigrants from Brazil. We could all work along side by side during the week but on the weekends the Brazilians, the Blacks and the Whites would all do their own thing with their own people.

I think most of don't care what someones skin tone is as long as they are a decent human than we can be friends. Being Nice goes a long way toward fostering Diversity. Being a classless jerk shuts that down pretty quickly.

The ultimate problem with all of this is that the Left is forcing Diversity on us and Demanding that we accept everyone and if we do not then we are the problem. I think most folks accept gay people but the Left is forcing Transgendered and Drag Queens on us and our kids.

The want/need for diversity comes down to a few things, Class and if the person is Nice.

Old 07-31-2022, 01:04 PM

3,208 posts, read 4,224,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
Utter nonsense. Poor, poor me. Victimhood strikes again.
Oh ok. So all the stuff people are seeing and experiencing is none sense? You sound more like the victim here.

Old 07-31-2022, 02:52 PM

13,232 posts, read 4,727,200 times
of course, you're right....
just look at some of the state posts right here on CD....
Where is the most gay friendly town?
Where is there an asian community?
Black neighborhoods....
on and on.....

people want to be around their own.....and as a general rule....they do a lot better when they are

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
Diversity is great and it is what has made America Great but humans are tribal types that prefer to hang out with others that look, act, think and feel like them.

My wife has an example of this from before I met her. She is from Ireland so there was very little diversity when she was young. Brown eyes were an oddity for example. Years ago she worked at a manufacturing place that had a diverse group of employees. During the shift everyone would get along just fine but at lunch she noticed that the Black women would hang out together and the White women would be in their own groups. It wasn't racism but it was the pure fact that the White Women had little in common with the Black ones.

I saw it for myself when I worked in an area that had a lot of immigrants from Brazil. We could all work along side by side during the week but on the weekends the Brazilians, the Blacks and the Whites would all do their own thing with their own people.

I think most of don't care what someones skin tone is as long as they are a decent human than we can be friends. Being Nice goes a long way toward fostering Diversity. Being a classless jerk shuts that down pretty quickly.

The ultimate problem with all of this is that the Left is forcing Diversity on us and Demanding that we accept everyone and if we do not then we are the problem. I think most folks accept gay people but the Left is forcing Transgendered and Drag Queens on us and our kids.

The want/need for diversity comes down to a few things, Class and if the person is Nice.

Old 07-31-2022, 03:09 PM

1,100 posts, read 523,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
Utter nonsense. Poor, poor me. Victimhood strikes again.
You responded to a very grounded take. At least throw him a complete thought.

Old 07-31-2022, 03:22 PM

66,628 posts, read 55,868,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
I get it. Being Jewish, I don't want to be in a place with a large Muslim community.

I don't think all muslims hate Jews, but wherever they seem to go in large groups, a lot of anti-Jewish rhetoric and targeted crime seems to follow.

It is a strange feeling when the only thing you really have against another group, is their hatred of you.
I'm not thinking "I don't want to be around (insert ethnicity)". I'm thinking of this. I know Blacks are 13% of the population. I also know that some people move to certain places BECAUSE hardly any Black people live there. In my case, I wonder "will this place be accepting of me or will I be treated badly?". I've dealt with racism before, so I don't have the option not to think about that.

Old 07-31-2022, 03:40 PM

41,330 posts, read 22,626,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrie22 View Post
and then at the same time...people gravitate to their own.....because people do better among their own
Not entirely true on the underlined... I would say people feel more comfortable with their own kind.

People can be comfortable in dysfunction. I've seen it.

Old 07-31-2022, 04:34 PM

7,237 posts, read 5,186,026 times
When I was a sailor we lived and worked together, we slept 16 to a room, no problem. When we went ashore on liberty there was no discussion, we self segregated. We went with those that we were most comfortable.with.

When I was in high school in NYC, it was not prudent to be the only white in a locker room where there were a large number of blacks.

Years later I encountered a number of Navajos who were content to remain on the reservation with other Navajos.

Old 07-31-2022, 04:38 PM

12,360 posts, read 11,381,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post

How has diversity made America better?

I hear this all the time. But there is never a reason for why simply racial diversity makes America better.

Old 07-31-2022, 05:04 PM

5,942 posts, read 3,207,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arr430 View Post
These two concepts seem to be at odds. First, striving for a goal of a nation in which all communities have good representation of all identifiable minorities, such as Muslim, LGBTQ, mixed-race couples, etc.. But then, members of those same minorities are asking in a relocation forum, where can they settle in communities friendly to their particular persuasion.

How can it be both? (Please don't answer if all you want to do is cut-paste your usual mindless political-labeled bashing. There is no agenda here -- just wondering if anybody has any thoughtful ideas of how these two trends might play out.)
It's a question of critical mass vs. dominance.

You have to contextualize it situation. In America only groups that are 1, hyper-concentrated, 2, have a large population does this question is actually at odds with anything.

For example let's look at 4 different groups. African Americans vs. Indian Americans vs. Nigerian Americans vs. White Americans.

If an African American comes to the Austin forum wanting to relocate to an area with Black people, this means a place where Black people are more than 20%. This is roughly the same for Indian Americans although you could argue 10% Indian American is good enough. Why do I say this percentage, because then their will be an expected segment of cultural amenities such as places that can cut your hair that you would expect. A majority Africa American neighborhood doesn't exist in Austin, hell one that is 40% Black probably doesn't exist in the city either. Their not looking to surround themselves with black people, their looking for a critical mass with a certain amount of amenities available. This sentiment will ring true for suburban/rural black people, and black people who grew up in the Western half of the U.S. With African Americans income also plays a role, as their might be a massive black population that is 90% black even but it's completely impoverished and as a result the areas that their upper middle class income can afford are largely less than 5% black. So their looking for a happy medium.

For Indian Americans across the country this is largely true as well. Although their is a segment that seeks out predominantly Indian areas, even with this said. Sugar Land, the most Asian city in Texas was 10.7% Indian in 2010 (It's 40%+ Asian now so higher in 2020 but ethnic breakdowns aren't out yet). Now their are neighborhoods like parts of Riverstone and Aliana nearby that are probably 50%+ Indian, but again it's tiny areas were the majority of Indians in Fort Bend County don't even live. More Indians live in South Katy, which is an area that's roughly 20% Asian than live in the entirety of Aliana and Riverstone neighborhoods that are majority or plurality Indian. Frisco a city that get's hate for how Indian it is, and it's insular population is only 28% Asian American, half of that likely not even Indian. Now I know again certain neighborhoods on its East and Northern parts have the "Indian majority" neighborhoods but this is a city as a whole with that stereotype and it isn't even 20% Indian. On top of this there are the ethnic divisions within India.

Now, Nigerians we are a smaller minority, so when we call Houston, especially Southwest Houston the mecca of Nigerian American culture we don't even make up 20%, we are maybe 10% of just the Black population in Houston by itself let alone a specific neighborhood. We don't even be asking "where the Nigerians at..." because historically we were spread out throughout the U.S. and have a relatively staggered migration. Besides Yoruba and Igbo no ethnic group is big enough in America to form an enclave. A Nigerian might ask where are the Africans located or were is diverse because to even get a smidgen of our food or culture we need at least a couple hundred of us located in a smaller area. For Nigerian ethnic food a lot of Nigerians in SW Houston by fish from the Vietnamese markets for example, because they carry fish Nigerians like. A presence is good enough. For many Islamic immigrants they can't even focus on ethnicity/nationality and a place with a high enough Muslim population to support a mosque is good enough.

Now with white Americans very few of them, will consider 20% adequate enough for them to even feel comfortable. If someone white was to ask where are the White areas outside of the Texas Border or Hawaii it wouldn't make much sense because almost every other part of the country is at least 30% white. Or the desirable parts of that region have a high white population. Even a place like San Antonio or Houston that is 30% white. Most desirable areas of those cities are 40%-70% white roughly, and at the minimum 30-35% white.

Once you have this nuance. It makes sense why a Black person moving to Austin vs. a White person moving to Dallas asking "where can I find my folk" is seen in different light, one is almost surely asking for a diverse neighborhood with a larger black population while the other is more than likely asking for an area 75% their race or more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.