Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2022, 11:54 AM

62,859 posts, read 29,098,263 times

Advertisements

There is a huge difference between a white nationalist (a positive thing not just by whites but all Americans) and a white/brown/black supremacist which is a negative thing. I can't believe how people don't know the difference between those two very different agendas.

Old 08-11-2022, 12:15 PM

72,959 posts, read 62,547,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
But CRT--as it is practiced and taught--is not the resolution for these lingering issues. They have a different cause and are, in fact, a different kind of phenomenon even if it looks the same on the surface.
I've never really looked into what CRT is about. This is what I do know. While Jim Crow laws are dead and gone, housing discrimination is illegal, there are lingering problems that have never gone away. There are still some issues with racial tensions. Some of it under the surface. Some of it more blatant. The 1992 L.A. riots (tensions between Blacks and Koreans were a big part of it), and the violence between Blacks and Hispanics in some parts of Southern California, the Charlottesville controversy, there are still issues going on even now,

Old 08-11-2022, 12:15 PM

28,660 posts, read 18,761,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
There is a huge difference between a white nationalist (a positive thing not just by whites but all Americans) and a white/brown/black supremacist which is a negative thing. I can't believe how people don't know the difference between those two very different agendas.
Wow.

A no on that one.

Old 08-11-2022, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Wow.

A no on that one.
Agreed. One can be a patriot. Being a patriot is a good thing. Being a "white nationalist", no, not at all. It goes against being American.

Old 08-11-2022, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I've never really looked into what CRT is about. This is what I do know. While Jim Crow laws are dead and gone, housing discrimination is illegal, there are lingering problems that have never gone away. There are still some issues with racial tensions. Some of it under the surface. Some of it more blatant. The 1992 L.A. riots (tensions between Blacks and Koreans were a big part of it), and the violence between Blacks and Hispanics in some parts of Southern California, the Charlottesville controversy, there are still issues going on even now,
CRT is about the situation--racist laws and policies--as they existed in the late 70s. Remember at that time the very War Generation and Boomer Generation individuals who had put those racist laws and policies into effect were still in those legislative and policymaking positions. The War Generation and Boomer Generation judges who had been trained in law school to rule racially were still on the majority of benches.

CRT is fighting "last generation's war." It does not have the tools to fight the kind of racism that may be generated spontaneously in the Millennial or Y-generations. Those are generating from completely different sources and need different tools to deal with them.

Old 08-11-2022, 12:38 PM

Quote:
CRT is about the situation--racist laws and policies--as they existed in the late 70s. Remember at that time the very War Generation and Boomer Generation individuals who had put those racist laws and policies into effect were still in those legislative and policymaking positions. The War Generation and Boomer Generation judges who had been trained in law school to rule racially were still on the majority of benches.

CRT is fighting "last generation's war." It does not have the tools to fight the kind of racism that may be generated spontaneously in the Millennial or Y-generations. Those are generating from completely different sources and need different tools to deal with them.
If this is true, then there are other things I have to think about. I think about the racism I've dealt with. I was born in 1986, so I never dealt with Jim Crow. My mother, who was born and raised in Louisiana, went to segregated schools until she was in the 3rd grade. My father, a Milwaukee native, never technically had Jim Crow schools to deal with, but the neighborhoods were certainly segregated.

I bring this up for this reason. I was never told "we don't rent to Black people" or "we don't hire Blacks". I was called racial slurs to my face. Some idiots have threatened me and harassed me. And it wasn't just some White persons who did this. I deal with racism from some Hispanic individuals, primarily at a job I worked at. I certainly dealt with overt, in-your-face stuff. However, I've also seem some "smile in your face, stab you in the back" kind of crap.

If CRT is dealing with last generation's war, there really needs to be some updating. Most of the overt stuff I dealt with came from people in MY generation. It came from millennials. Some of it at the hands of "pro-Confederate, Confederate flag waving" subculture. Some of it from the non-Black minorities. I got told a few times "interracial marriages are wrong and immoral", not by old people, but by people born in my generation. The way I see it, THIS generation might not be making ugly policies. However, some of the stuff from last generation got passed down. Some of it got sophisticated. Some of it isn't. If CRT is dealing with yesterday's problems, perhaps it needs to look at today's problems.

Old 08-11-2022, 01:09 PM

88,504 posts, read 84,673,021 times
Quote:
A primarily black neighborhood is more likely to be a primarily poor neighborhood.

It's going to be more a matter of moving up versus moving down economically.

A black family moving up economically into a primarily all white neighborhood is not likely to encounter physical hostility because people higher on the economic ladder don't behave that way.

There are a few higher -economic black areas in places like Maryland, Virginia, and Georgia...but the result would be the same for a white family moving into those areas: No physical hostility because higher economic groups--black or white--don't operate that way.

In either case, however, you might not get invited to any house parties.
As soon as I read that statement, The Jefferson's theme song started playing in my head.

Old 08-11-2022, 01:11 PM

Quote:
If this is true, then there are other things I have to think about. I think about the racism I've dealt with. I was born in 1986, so I never dealt with Jim Crow. My mother, who was born and raised in Louisiana, went to segregated schools until she was in the 3rd grade. My father, a Milwaukee native, never technically had Jim Crow schools to deal with, but the neighborhoods were certainly segregated.

I bring this up for this reason. I was never told "we don't rent to Black people" or "we don't hire Blacks". I was called racial slurs to my face. Some idiots have threatened me and harassed me. And it wasn't just some White persons who did this. I deal with racism from some Hispanic individuals, primarily at a job I worked at. I certainly dealt with overt, in-your-face stuff. However, I've also seem some "smile in your face, stab you in the back" kind of crap.

If CRT is dealing with last generation's war, there really needs to be some updating. Most of the overt stuff I dealt with came from people in MY generation. It came from millennials. Some of it at the hands of "pro-Confederate, Confederate flag waving" subculture. Some of it from the non-Black minorities. I got told a few times "interracial marriages are wrong and immoral", not by old people, but by people born in my generation. The way I see it, THIS generation might not be making ugly policies. However, some of the stuff from last generation got passed down. Some of it got sophisticated. Some of it isn't. If CRT is dealing with yesterday's problems, perhaps it needs to look at today's problems.
But that would not be "CRT" which explicitly deals with racism as it is embedded in laws and policies of the nation.

Old 08-11-2022, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Agreed. One can be a patriot. Being a patriot is a good thing. Being a "white nationalist", no, not at all. It goes against being American.
Wrong! A nationalist simply means being a patriot and any American of any race can be and should be a nationalist. Being a nationalist/patriot is being pro-American. Once again you and yours are confusing supremacy with nationalism and they are totally two different things!

Old 08-11-2022, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Wow.

A no on that one.
Really how? I guess you don't know the difference between being a nationalist and a supremacist? Why just make this only about white Americans anyway? There are plenty of brown and black supremacists also and that's not a good thing either but being a nationalist of any race is akin to patriotism.

Here's the definition of a nationalist. Where in this description does it include white supremacy or racism against Americans of other races?

na·tion·al·ist
[ˈnaSH(ə)nələst]
NOUN
a person who strongly identifies with their own nation and vigorously supports its interests, especially to the exclusion or detriment of the interests of other nations:

synonyms:
loyalist · lover of one's country · flag-waver

Last edited by Oldglory; 08-11-2022 at 02:47 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.