Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-16-2022, 06:41 PM

27,427 posts, read 28,498,647 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
You're missing my point. I'm talking about living in places where there might be things I like, but some of the locals don't want me there. Black on Asian murders in poor Black neighborhoods have nothing to do with that.
The main lesson is to never think you’re more important than anybody else because of your race. Don’t go down that rabbit hole.

Not one iota.

Old 08-16-2022, 07:25 PM

62,727 posts, read 28,935,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
The main lesson is to never think you’re more important than anybody else because of your race. Don’t go down that rabbit hole.

Not one iota.
From his posts I'd say you pegged him. I asked him about illegal immigration and he said it doesn't bother him (or something like that) because he doesn't feel it impacts him or his race. Well it does but I surmise his attitude was "to hell with the rest of us then".

Old 08-16-2022, 08:52 PM

72,874 posts, read 62,362,868 times
Quote:

Not one iota.
I never thought I was more important than anyone else because of my race. In fact, I'm having to consider that some people would see me as "less than" or "inferior" to them because of my race. I never once said or even tried to imply that I was more important than anyone else. My point was that despite some people not wanting me in their neighborhood, I have the right to live wherever I please. I have that right, and so does anyone else. This is a huge country. Why should I confine myself to a few places?

Old 08-16-2022, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentonite View Post
I've read many of your posts and you're not "pompous" in the least, Mariner. In fact, that's the last thing I'd call you. I appreciate your patient attempts to get through to those who only want to finger-point and attack.

I can't say the same for snooty, pontificating gasbags to whom one-upmanship is more important than communication.
I feel like trying to get through to some people feels more like a fight. All I wanted to do was drive a point home. For some people, living somewhere isn't about "I want to be around my kind". It is about other things.

Old 08-18-2022, 02:02 AM

24,452 posts, read 9,315,996 times
Quote:

Not one iota.
Well stated, I don't care if my neighbors look like me, I care if the property value appreciates.

Old 08-18-2022, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
Well stated, I don't care if my neighbors look like me, I care if the property value appreciates.
Well, I actually do care in this case. I want both decent property values and to be in a place where I get along with my neighbors.

Last edited by green_mariner; 08-18-2022 at 06:56 AM..

Old 08-18-2022, 07:33 AM

356 posts, read 367,930 times
“Diversity” is code for I want the same political views.

Old 08-18-2022, 08:49 AM

27,427 posts, read 28,498,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leopard2 View Post
“Diversity” is code for I want the same political views.
I dislike having to explain my political views to my neighbors. They should already get why I think the way I do.

Saves a lot of drama.

Old 08-18-2022, 11:23 AM

1,719 posts, read 724,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by b29510 View Post
Black person chooses to live in white neighborhood = not okay.

I have no issue with a Black Person living in my neighborhood, just dont bring your culture and hood rats with you
Which "culture?" The black people who live in my neighborhood and with whom I've worked are responsible, hardworking, educated people who eschew "hood rats" and other troublemakers. All black culture isn't ghetto, any more than all white culture is trashy redneck.

Old 08-18-2022, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentonite View Post
Which "culture?" The black people who live in my neighborhood and with whom I've worked are responsible, hardworking, educated people who eschew "hood rats" and other troublemakers. All black culture isn't ghetto, any more than all white culture is trashy redneck.
This also require someone to understand that Black American culture does not automatically equate to ghetto culture. I went to jazz concert one night. Majority Black audience. No ghetto behavior from anyone. Just good music and good vibes. Contrast this to my side gig that I do in addition to my regular job. Driving for Door Dash has exposed me to places where there is ghetto behavior and a ghetto underclass culture. It's easy for me to tell the difference. However, some people won't understand that. It's not hard to differentiate between Black middle class professionals vs those individuals immersed in ghetto "hood rat" culture. I can see it, you can see it. However, some people don't seem to know the difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.