Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2022, 12:09 PM

1,719 posts, read 731,191 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
This also require someone to understand that Black American culture does not automatically equate to ghetto culture. I went to jazz concert one night. Majority Black audience. No ghetto behavior from anyone. Just good music and good vibes. Contrast this to my side gig that I do in addition to my regular job. Driving for Door Dash has exposed me to places where there is ghetto behavior and a ghetto underclass culture. It's easy for me to tell the difference. However, some people won't understand that. It's not hard to differentiate between Black middle class professionals vs those individuals immersed in ghetto "hood rat" culture. I can see it, you can see it. However, some people don't seem to know the difference.
Or they don't want to acknowledge the difference, even if they're aware of it.

Old 08-18-2022, 12:23 PM

88,562 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentonite View Post
Which "culture?" The black people who live in my neighborhood and with whom I've worked are responsible, hardworking, educated people who eschew "hood rats" and other troublemakers. All black culture isn't ghetto, any more than all white culture is trashy redneck.
Same here. I know hundreds of black engineers, business owners, financial types. I have neighbors who are retired mail carriers and office workers. I know very few ghetto rats. It makes me question what type of people are the ones who only know black hood people. What type of person are you if in this day and age in America you don't know normal middle-and-upper class black people? Or think the hood rats are the rule and not the exception? That tells a lot about the person who thinks that way.

Old 08-18-2022, 12:44 PM

73,007 posts, read 62,585,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Same here. I know hundreds of black engineers, business owners, financial types. I know very few ghetto rats. It makes me question what type of people are the ones who only know black hood people. What type of person are you if in this day and age in America you don't know normal middle-and-upper class black people? Or think the hood rats are the rule and not the exception?
A very good question indeed. I have to wonder where some people go in order to meet alood-rat type Black people.

I used to work in the city of Atlanta. While I ran into some hood rats, most of the Black people I ran into were regular, working people. No shortage of middle class professionals. One a per capita level, I personally knew far more middle class, college educated professionals than I did hood rat types. This was my experience in my late 20s/early 30s holding jobs in the city of Atlanta (I live in a different city now, and I'm in my mid 30s). Places I have worked and people I have worked with. Plenty of professional types.

I never saw hood rats as the rule. I have run into hood rat, underclass types on multiple occasions (even being the victim of violent crimes). However, finding regular Black people, finding middle-class Black Americans, educated professionals, I could always find those types of Black Americans. In my field, I don't see that many, but I have seen them represented in other fields.

For individuals who speak so badly about Black and, I have to wonder where they go to run into the ghetto archetypes. Or, if some people are just prejudice, period.

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 08-18-2022 at 11:08 PM.. Reason: my typo

Old 08-18-2022, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentonite View Post
Or they don't want to acknowledge the difference, even if they're aware of it.
That is true as well. That in mind, it does leave me wondering how said persons are finding "hood rat" types.

Old 08-18-2022, 02:28 PM

64 posts, read 54,534 times
Diversity is a cultural issue. Cultural issues cannot be forcefully "fixed" with legislation.

Old 08-18-2022, 03:35 PM

27,558 posts, read 28,652,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
For individuals who speak so badly about Black and, I have to wonder where they go to run into the ghetto archetypes. Or, if some people are just prejudice, period.
It's an issue that becomes more important when you start having children and have to think about what school district to put them into.

Old 08-18-2022, 05:05 PM

1,864 posts, read 841,146 times
when you start having children and have to think

Old 08-18-2022, 06:46 PM

14,848 posts, read 8,206,249 times
No one wants diversity. They want to be tolerated/accepted or they want cheap labor/open-borders.

Why do you think discrimination is illegal?

Old 08-18-2022, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
It's an issue that becomes more important when you start having children and have to think about what school district to put them into.
Black middle class parents have to think about that too.

Old 08-18-2022, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by b29510 View Post
when you start having children and have to think
I am not even married yet.

However, I was once a kid. My parents had to think about plenty of things while raising their children. Being Black parents with Black children, they had to think about....

1) Keeping their children away from bad influences.
2) Making sure their children did well in school and got a good education.
3) How to deal with situations where their children dealt with racism (and I grew up dealing with alot of racism. All the more reason I don't respect anyone who can't differentiate between regular Black people and hood rats).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies