U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2022, 06:00 AM

4,416 posts, read 1,405,605 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arr430 View Post
striving for a goal of a nation in which all communities have good representation of all identifiable minorities, such as Muslim, LGBTQ, mixed-race couples, etc..
Is that really the goal people are striving for? Kind of throws the whole notion of freedom of association out the window doesn't it?
Rate this post positively

Old 08-01-2022, 06:46 AM

985 posts, read 263,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arr430 View Post
These two concepts seem to be at odds. First, striving for a goal of a nation in which all communities have good representation of all identifiable minorities, such as Muslim, LGBTQ, mixed-race couples, etc.. But then, members of those same minorities are asking in a relocation forum, where can they settle in communities friendly to their particular persuasion.

How can it be both? (Please don't answer if all you want to do is cut-paste your usual mindless political-labeled bashing. There is no agenda here -- just wondering if anybody has any thoughtful ideas of how these two trends might play out.)
When all else fails use logic for understanding complexity. People are tribal in nature. Like minded people as well as people of the same race usually want to be amongst each other. There's a comfort zone with familiarity.

Old 08-01-2022, 06:55 AM

54,811 posts, read 23,587,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenvalleyfan View Post
When all else fails use logic for understanding complexity. People are tribal in nature. Like minded people as well as people of the same race usually want to be amongst each other. There's a comfort zone with familiarity.
That tribal problem arises though when those of the same ethnicity defend and support the lawbreakers among them. As for me I don't care what one's skin color or race is but I want to be among those who are culturally like myself and speak English. I'd like for them to share my politics and social beliefs to.

Old 08-01-2022, 07:08 AM

24,546 posts, read 25,113,354 times
Have you noticed that the term "diversity" is never actually defined?

Is 5% non-white considered diverse? How about 10%, 30%, 50% or 80%?

We are not privileged enough to know the answer to this question.

Old 08-01-2022, 07:13 AM

985 posts, read 263,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
That tribal problem arises though when those of the same ethnicity defend and support the lawbreakers among them. As for me I don't care what one's skin color or race is but I want to be among those who are culturally like myself and speak English. I'd like for them to share my politics and social beliefs to.
Agreed

Old 08-01-2022, 08:15 AM

69,360 posts, read 52,178,233 times
What's interesting is that your views on diversity etc. in this country can vary when presented to different people.

For example, I frequently see very woke people take the exact same comment by someone and process it according to their race, gender, orientation etc. for "acceptability".

Statements like,

"I'm more comfortable around people with my own cultural background"
or
"Criticism of me is almost always only because of my being ABC\XYZ"

Depending upon whom says the phrase, it's either acceptance or howls of rage.

Old 08-01-2022, 09:56 AM

36,725 posts, read 24,867,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Well, all I can say is that "stick to your own kind" has not worked for me in my life. I just tried to go wherever I was accepted.
What exactly do you mean by

Accepted?

I have seen an asian guy being called ch**k by a Hispanic guy in an asian neighborhood.

Look, you cannot expect a perfect environment or neighborhood. All you have to worry about is if the neighborhood is safe. Safe means low crime. As long as everyone is able to coexist, who cares what others really think about you.

I live in a beach neighborhood where the average housing price is 2 million, there are still crimes here and there. People still occasionally use racial slurs. But nothing changed the fact that this is still a safe neighborhood.

My fiance is also living in a super nice neighborhood. It's ranked 7th safestest city in the United States. However, there were two violent crimes in the past 10 years. Two Muslims killed their wives using knives.

You are a law abiding middle class to upper middle class black man, I can't see why you won't be accepted in any decent neighborhoods in the United States. Keyword: decent.

Last edited by lilyflower3191981; 08-01-2022 at 10:04 AM..

Old 08-01-2022, 11:36 AM

54,811 posts, read 23,587,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
What exactly do you mean by

Accepted?

I have seen an asian guy being called ch**k by a Hispanic guy in an asian neighborhood.

Look, you cannot expect a perfect environment or neighborhood. All you have to worry about is if the neighborhood is safe. Safe means low crime. As long as everyone is able to coexist, who cares what others really think about you.

I live in a beach neighborhood where the average housing price is 2 million, there are still crimes here and there. People still occasionally use racial slurs. But nothing changed the fact that this is still a safe neighborhood.

My fiance is also living in a super nice neighborhood. It's ranked 7th safestest city in the United States. However, there were two violent crimes in the past 10 years. Two Muslims killed their wives using knives.

You are a law abiding middle class to upper middle class black man, I can't see why you won't be accepted in any decent neighborhoods in the United States. Keyword: decent.
He has a chip on his shoulder about being black?

Old 08-01-2022, 11:54 AM

4,629 posts, read 4,484,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrie22 View Post
of course, you're right....
just look at some of the state posts right here on CD....
Where is the most gay friendly town?
Where is there an asian community?
Black neighborhoods....
on and on.....

people want to be around their own.....and as a general rule....they do a lot better when they are
As a gay man, I will answer this way...If I was looking to move again somewhere, I would ask the same thing, what area is "gay friendly", meaning, a place that I can actually meet someone to date...or in my case, since I am already w/ someone, openly go out together w/ my bf/husband and not be looked down upon, talked about, or outright be treated rudely...I've seen that done plenty of times.

The guy I'm currently dating is Asian (Korean American)...the reason he would ask about an Asian community if we were to move somewhere is because he'd want to know where he might find an actual Asian Supermarket that carries some of the ethnic cuisine that a typical standard supermarket doesn't carry...he could care less about hanging out w/ other "Asians" as he is very comfortable hanging w/ anyone...but he does have certain things he likes that are hard to find outside of Asian markets.

Old 08-01-2022, 11:58 AM
bu2

20,851 posts, read 11,394,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
It's a question of critical mass vs. dominance.

You have to contextualize it situation. In America only groups that are 1, hyper-concentrated, 2, have a large population does this question is actually at odds with anything.

For example let's look at 4 different groups. African Americans vs. Indian Americans vs. Nigerian Americans vs. White Americans.

If an African American comes to the Austin forum wanting to relocate to an area with Black people, this means a place where Black people are more than 20%. This is roughly the same for Indian Americans although you could argue 10% Indian American is good enough. Why do I say this percentage, because then their will be an expected segment of cultural amenities such as places that can cut your hair that you would expect. A majority Africa American neighborhood doesn't exist in Austin, hell one that is 40% Black probably doesn't exist in the city either. Their not looking to surround themselves with black people, their looking for a critical mass with a certain amount of amenities available. This sentiment will ring true for suburban/rural black people, and black people who grew up in the Western half of the U.S. With African Americans income also plays a role, as their might be a massive black population that is 90% black even but it's completely impoverished and as a result the areas that their upper middle class income can afford are largely less than 5% black. So their looking for a happy medium.

For Indian Americans across the country this is largely true as well. Although their is a segment that seeks out predominantly Indian areas, even with this said. Sugar Land, the most Asian city in Texas was 10.7% Indian in 2010 (It's 40%+ Asian now so higher in 2020 but ethnic breakdowns aren't out yet). Now their are neighborhoods like parts of Riverstone and Aliana nearby that are probably 50%+ Indian, but again it's tiny areas were the majority of Indians in Fort Bend County don't even live. More Indians live in South Katy, which is an area that's roughly 20% Asian than live in the entirety of Aliana and Riverstone neighborhoods that are majority or plurality Indian. Frisco a city that get's hate for how Indian it is, and it's insular population is only 28% Asian American, half of that likely not even Indian. Now I know again certain neighborhoods on its East and Northern parts have the "Indian majority" neighborhoods but this is a city as a whole with that stereotype and it isn't even 20% Indian. On top of this there are the ethnic divisions within India.

Now, Nigerians we are a smaller minority, so when we call Houston, especially Southwest Houston the mecca of Nigerian American culture we don't even make up 20%, we are maybe 10% of just the Black population in Houston by itself let alone a specific neighborhood. We don't even be asking "where the Nigerians at..." because historically we were spread out throughout the U.S. and have a relatively staggered migration. Besides Yoruba and Igbo no ethnic group is big enough in America to form an enclave. A Nigerian might ask where are the Africans located or were is diverse because to even get a smidgen of our food or culture we need at least a couple hundred of us located in a smaller area. For Nigerian ethnic food a lot of Nigerians in SW Houston by fish from the Vietnamese markets for example, because they carry fish Nigerians like. A presence is good enough. For many Islamic immigrants they can't even focus on ethnicity/nationality and a place with a high enough Muslim population to support a mosque is good enough.

Now with white Americans very few of them, will consider 20% adequate enough for them to even feel comfortable. If someone white was to ask where are the White areas outside of the Texas Border or Hawaii it wouldn't make much sense because almost every other part of the country is at least 30% white. Or the desirable parts of that region have a high white population. Even a place like San Antonio or Houston that is 30% white. Most desirable areas of those cities are 40%-70% white roughly, and at the minimum 30-35% white.

Once you have this nuance. It makes sense why a Black person moving to Austin vs. a White person moving to Dallas asking "where can I find my folk" is seen in different light, one is almost surely asking for a diverse neighborhood with a larger black population while the other is more than likely asking for an area 75% their race or more.
Well I find it interesting that a number of Black posters ask for a "diverse" neighborhood, but what they want is one with a high % of Blacks. They dismiss ones that are 30% white, 30% Hispanic, 20% Asian and 20% Black, someplace like Alief in Houston or Buford Highway in Atlanta. Nothing wrong with that, as you describe, but usually when people want "diverse," it means they want a lot of people like them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies