U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2022, 08:01 AM

931 posts, read 603,048 times

Advertisements

Wonder how this new avenue will work out:

https://childrenshealthdefense.org/d...y-acquisition/

Quote:
The tech giant’s latest proposed acquisition in the healthcare industry gives Amazon too much power in the healthcare sector and raises a host of concerns around privacy and the future of Medicare, critics say.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2022, 12:14 AM

21,326 posts, read 29,030,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahayana View Post
Wonder how this new avenue will work out:

https://childrenshealthdefense.org/d...y-acquisition/

Even though we own stock in Amazon, I don't see this as a positive. I think it's giving Amazon too much power into sensitive health information that they can match with our profiles there. They're already in the healthcare market in the UK. They also have Amazon pharmacy which I'll never order from.

A few quotes from your article:

Quote:
“I also ask that the FTC consider the role of data, including as a potential barrier to entry, given that this proposed deal could result in the accumulation of highly sensitive personal health data in the hands of an already data-intensive company.”

Commenting on the deal, NPR correspondent David Gura tweeted: “Is there anything this corporation won’t know about your day-to-day life?”

OMI issued a similar warning, highlighting Amazon’s significant and still-expanding ability to surveil and collect data about its customers and influence their decision-making and purchasing decisions.

Brown said the deal “will also pose serious risks to patients whose sensitive data will be captured by a firm [Amazon] whose own Chief Information Office once described access to customer data as ‘a free for all.’”

Similar concerns about the amount of data consumers are giving up for the sake of convenience arose earlier this year in the U.K, where Amazon already works with the publicly run National Health Service (NHS).

As part of its various partnerships with the NHS, Amazon has the ability to use patient data for free on its Alexa platform, including the cloud-based NHS Login.

Amazon’s agreement with the NHS allows Alexa to trawl the NHS database for answers to common health questions. However, testing conducted by Privacy International found that, in numerous instances, Alexa provided answers that did not come from the NHS — further indicating privatization of health services.

Old 08-01-2022, 06:13 AM

5,529 posts, read 5,193,979 times
I think at this point, we all have our eyes open and are still marching forward and willingly handing the keys over to tech and data companies.

I remember a couple of years ago, my husband and I were in our living room talking about needing a new ladder and a day or two later, advertisements for ladders started appearing on my Facebook feed. That's when we unplugged our Alexa.

Old 08-01-2022, 03:35 PM
Status: "I have decided to be happy because it is good for my health" (set 26 days ago)

14,331 posts, read 10,435,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Ag 93 View Post
I think at this point, we all have our eyes open and are still marching forward and willingly handing the keys over to tech and data companies.

I remember a couple of years ago, my husband and I were in our living room talking about needing a new ladder and a day or two later, advertisements for ladders started appearing on my Facebook feed. That's when we unplugged our Alexa.
Good for you!

I'm more the kind of person who would feed Alexa false information day-in and day-out.

Old 08-01-2022, 03:48 PM

931 posts, read 603,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
Good for you!

I'm more the kind of person who would feed Alexa false information day-in and day-out.
Do not have, nor know what Alexa is. But what would false info do to it?

Old 08-01-2022, 07:08 PM

5,529 posts, read 5,193,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
Good for you!

We used to use Alexa, but now hardly ever do. I initially bought 3- one of the living room and 2 dots for the girls bedrooms because you can link them together and use them as an Intercom system. I preferred that to all of us constantly yelling across the house for each other. That worked until they unplugged their's because it "woke" them up (I had set the alarm clock feature ).

Now we just leave the volume turned down unless we need it for something so it doesn't "listen" to us. It conveniently blinks yellow when Amazon has a notification, so we'll turn it on and listen, then turn the volume back off.

Quote:
Alexa is a small device made by Amazon that can piggyback onto your Amazon account. It will prompt you for reorder needs, let you know order status etc. You can ask it basic questions like time, temp, weather and more detailed questions as well. It plays music. Can be used as an Intercom as I mentioned above.

it has lots of features and info, none of which can't be accessed on the Internet or your phone, of course, but many people do find using Alexa helpful.

Old 08-02-2022, 12:25 PM

1,056 posts, read 464,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
Even though we own stock in Amazon, I don't see this as a positive. I think it's giving Amazon too much power into sensitive health information that they can match with our profiles there. They're already in the healthcare market in the UK. They also have Amazon pharmacy which I'll never order from.

A few quotes from your article:
From what I am hearing, the pharmacy is not doing too well. The leadership of said division does not have industry experience. Also, the normal games they pull are illegal. Mail order pharmacy has existed for decades. People don't like it, in general.

Old 08-02-2022, 06:11 PM

14,219 posts, read 8,868,970 times
Amazon already has plans ready to go for the event that it gets broken up. Just going to keep pushing until it happens.

Old 09-04-2022, 04:09 PM

24,373 posts, read 45,217,150 times
Amazon says it is ending "Amazon Care" where it has not gained much traction in the healthcare market. In typical Amazon fashion, they will instead attempt to purchase "One Medical" and try to get into the healthcare business via that avenue -- subject to government approval.

Stories in both the WaPo and the NY Times.

WaPo Excerpt: "Late last month, staffers at Amazon Care — the company’s in-person and virtual primary care service — were called into a meeting and given bad news: Amazon was shutting it down. Some employees were let go immediately. Others walked out. Everyone was promised paychecks through the end of December. The news caught Amazon employees by surprise — including those who used the service as patients. The company’s human resources staff had been promoting Amazon Care as a health benefit the same week it shut down, an Amazon employee told The Washington Post. ... Amazon is in the process of acquiring primary care start-up One Medical for $3.9 billion, although regulators said Friday they are taking a closer look at the deal. "

NY Times Excerpt: "Amazon told employees in an email on Wednesday that it is shutting down Amazon Care, its in-house foray into providing primary and urgent health care. The move comes a month after Amazon announced plans to buy a much larger competitor, One Medical, in a $3.9 billion deal. Amazon for years has wanted to find its own ways to enter the health care industry, which company executives think provides a big opportunity for expansion."

The acquistion begs the question, how big is too big, which will be fun to figure out from a regulatory view.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 09-04-2022, 04:14 PM

2,001 posts, read 712,607 times
Quote:
It would waste the time of the person feeding it false information, other then that not much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies