Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2022, 03:57 PM

45,582 posts, read 27,187,569 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kj1065 View Post
Thank you for posting, OP. Seems we have work to do getting others who want to preserve abortion access to the polls. Challenge accepted.
Not a challenge... just the truth.

But whatever motivates you... I guess instead of abortion, the motivation is now - "let's prove them wrong". Doesn't say much for the actual issue...

Old 08-01-2022, 04:28 PM

25,961 posts, read 22,120,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowGirl View Post
Maybe not this cycle. But there will be some ugly case studies coming out of the near bans being adopted by some states. It may become a bigger issue then.

https://www.wbur.org/npr/1111280165/...ical-nightmare
Only an issue to those that get abortions, might want an abortion or make money off of abortion, or have males in their life that push for the abortion. Maybe talk about what happens if one gets pregnant before engaging in sexual relationships.

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
Huh? Have you not been paying attention to the news?

From .... two weeks ago!

House passes bills to protect abortion access after Roe v. Wade overturned
Some people think that killing babies by the thousands is a nightmare. A woman can protect herself from pregnancy, and the man can help with that too, but when the sperm meets the egg, life begins - basic biology. Stop a heartbeat, you kill.

I'm not sure if you are familiar with how a bill becomes a law, but that isn't it. It is a first step, and very unlikely to actually go anywhere according to what I have read.

https://apnews.com/article/abortion-...926a6520311da5

"The bill has little chance of becoming law, with the necessary support lacking in the 50-50 Senate. Yet voting marks the beginning of a new era in the debate as lawmakers, governors and legislatures grapple with the impact of the court’s decision."

Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
Exactly. These stories will be coming out starting in mid to late September -- after back-to-school season has settled down and will continue up until election day.

People are not thinking about voting in the middle of summer.
The thing is most people don't care. Most people don't get abortions, or think an abortion has anything to do with a woman's healthcare, unless the pregnancy would be life-threatening to her. The economy is going to overshadow everything else when we vote in November. No one will care about the stories, we have our own issues to deal with, and most of us are and were capable of managing birth control without having to kill our baby as healthcare.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Take a History Class View Post
I've said it before and I'll say it again...it's not 1973 any longer.

Women in this country have far more agency than in 1973. No bank manager or car salesman is going to say "why don't you bring your husband down here, ma'am" when a woman is trying to transact business by herself.

Medical technology has come a long way...we know far more about fetal pain, and the age of viability outside the womb continues to decrease.

The internet has democratized knowledge to an extent never before seen in human history. If you don't know how babies are made, or how to obtain birth control, you're being purposefully obtuse, or your IQ is 75.

Glad to see that vasectomies are up. Go figure when easy abortion is off the table, people start being responsible.

Inflation and the negative effects of woke culture are far more concerning to people.
Excellent post! Fetal pain needs to be front and center to this, and we need to emphasize the stages of life. Everyone used to know that life began when the sperm fertilized the egg, what the heck happened to that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RowingFiend View Post
Yes, this is the data I was referring to in the other thread.

This will not stop Democrats from ignoring the data and continuing to repeat the debunked narrative that abortion will prevent a red wave in the midterms.

They had no problem lying about COVID for two years and they have no problem lying about this. Or anything else.
Lying is their "bread and butter", as without it, they would seize to exist!

Quote:
Go for it. The "work" of making it easier to kill unborn children needs to happen at the state level, because that is who has the authority to regulate abortion under our Constitution.

Hopefully Team Blue understands that.
Our state, Kansas, tomorrow votes for the ability to remove what now stands in the Constitution, a right to abortion, and if we win on this, then the work will start in modifying the current abortion law in the state allowing abortions up to 22 weeks (the baby is already moving in the womb at that point, so deny it is a living being, is wrong).

A 16 year old was caught having vandalized the banner in front of the Catholic church here because he "disagreed" with what the sign said "Vote Yes. Value Them Both." We have a pro-abortion approving group here in town, and signs like ours "Vote Yes. Value Them Both" were stolen all around town. The next day, someone brought out new signs, and we bring ours in at night. We called the police, and they made a report, and although that doesn't do much, it puts the neighborhood on alert that we don't take this lightly. I know the vote will be close, but I certainly hope that the majority of Kansans do feel that we should "Value Them Both." I bet the Catholic church could place all the babies they could get their hands on, and that prospective adoptive parents everywhere are just hoping to see more mothers-to-be having their babies, and choosing life through adoption.

Mothers-to-be are those pregnant women who elect abortion for their baby. Not a mother-to-be anymore, mother of a dead baby. Denying reality does not change a thing.

Economy is #1 for the mid-terms, except those focused on their sex lives and not reproducing or taking responsibility for birth control until it is too late. Too dumb to handle birth control - sterilization!

Last edited by AnywhereElse; 08-01-2022 at 04:40 PM..

Old 08-01-2022, 06:27 PM

3,048 posts, read 1,152,240 times
Quote:
Go for it. The "work" of making it easier to kill unborn children needs to happen at the state level, because that is who has the authority to regulate abortion under our Constitution.

Hopefully Team Blue understands that.

The work to get people who support abortion access to vote for legislators who will ensure it becomes law. The numbers are there. They just need to vote.

Old 08-01-2022, 06:31 PM

17,625 posts, read 6,911,503 times
Quote:
The work to get people who support abortion access to vote for legislators who will ensure it becomes law. The numbers are there. They just need to vote.
That’s fine with me. An issue as important as abortion should be addressed by representatives accountable to the people. Not 9 unelected justices.

Old 08-02-2022, 06:58 AM

89,026 posts, read 44,824,472 times
Quote:
Not really. There are significantly different levels of support depending on the REASON for the abortion. From the ABC/WaPo poll taken after the SCOTUS decision was leaked:

Mother's physical health is endangered

82% keep them legal
12% make them illegal

Pregnancy caused by rape or incest

79% keep them legal
16% make them illegal

Serious birth defects detected

67% keep them legal
23% make them illegal

Convenience abortions (98.3% of all abortions)

48% keep them legal
45% make them illegal

The US is about evenly split on whether or not to keep convenience abortions legal. Those are the "I don't want a baby because [insert random selfish reason here]" abortions.

Plus, you have the problem of many more voters considering the economy, inflation, etc., to be a much more important issue. People will vote their wallets. Or as James Carville quite wisely said, "The economy, stupid."

Old 08-02-2022, 07:03 AM

5,983 posts, read 2,236,544 times
I wouldn't expect a ton of energy in the Primaries, likely no disagreement between candidates in the Primaries on each side. And from a strategy standpoint, it makes no sense to push for a big public response or throw money at ads now considering this is just the primary season.

There will be much more energy going into November when Pro-Life and Pro-Choice candidates are facing each other.

Old 08-02-2022, 02:31 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,636,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post

Our state, Kansas, tomorrow votes for the ability to remove what now stands in the Constitution, a right to abortion, and if we win on this, then the work will start in modifying the current abortion law in the state allowing abortions up to 22 weeks (the baby is already moving in the womb at that point, so deny it is a living being, is wrong).

A 16 year old was caught having vandalized the banner in front of the Catholic church here because he "disagreed" with what the sign said "Vote Yes. Value Them Both." We have a pro-abortion approving group here in town, and signs like ours "Vote Yes. Value Them Both" were stolen all around town. The next day, someone brought out new signs, and we bring ours in at night. We called the police, and they made a report, and although that doesn't do much, it puts the neighborhood on alert that we don't take this lightly. I know the vote will be close, but I certainly hope that the majority of Kansans do feel that we should "Value Them Both." I bet the Catholic church could place all the babies they could get their hands on, and that prospective adoptive parents everywhere are just hoping to see more mothers-to-be having their babies, and choosing life through adoption.

Mothers-to-be are those pregnant women who elect abortion for their baby. Not a mother-to-be anymore, mother of a dead baby. Denying reality does not change a thing.

Economy is #1 for the mid-terms, except those focused on their sex lives and not reproducing or taking responsibility for birth control until it is too late. Too dumb to handle birth control - sterilization!
If Kansas votes to take right to abortion out of the constitution aren't you going to quite gladly vote for any Republican candidate who advertises in ads that he is 100% pro-life with no exceptions? In Oklahoma at least one Republican candidate for U. S. Senator advertises that way. After all, if both the fetus and mother dies as a result, many Republicans would no doubt view it as being due to God's will, and nobody, such as a doctor, should try to circumvent it and risk provoking the wrath of God.

The appeal to Republicans for literally banning all abortion removes any need for debate if existing abortion bans really include saving life of mother or not. Just direct the mother to hospice care and make her final days as comfortable as possible. I certainly wouldn't be foolish to trust Kansas Republicans not to ban all abortions. They are more likely to take seriously advice from anti-abortion fanatics, rather than actual doctors. Furthermore, abortion in Kansas is already well regulated and discouraged under existing laws. Banning abortion means abortion left going out of control free from government regulation. Hopefully, Kansas voters will decide to keep right to abortion in the state constitution.

Last edited by StillwaterTownie; 08-02-2022 at 03:07 PM..

Old 08-02-2022, 06:22 PM

25,961 posts, read 22,120,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
If Kansas votes to take right to abortion out of the constitution aren't you going to quite gladly vote for any Republican candidate who advertises in ads that he is 100% pro-life with no exceptions? In Oklahoma at least one Republican candidate for U. S. Senator advertises that way. After all, if both the fetus and mother dies as a result, many Republicans would no doubt view it as being due to God's will, and nobody, such as a doctor, should try to circumvent it and risk provoking the wrath of God.

The appeal to Republicans for literally banning all abortion removes any need for debate if existing abortion bans really include saving life of mother or not. Just direct the mother to hospice care and make her final days as comfortable as possible. I certainly wouldn't be foolish to trust Kansas Republicans not to ban all abortions. They are more likely to take seriously advice from anti-abortion fanatics, rather than actual doctors. Furthermore, abortion in Kansas is already well regulated and discouraged under existing laws. Banning abortion means abortion left going out of control free from government regulation. Hopefully, Kansas voters will decide to keep right to abortion in the state constitution.
The Constitution now says that abortion is "right", which we all know it isn't. If that is removed, they will then make the decision based on what citizens of the states want as far as limits, etc. You know, "exceptions", which I believe every state allows for preserving the life of the mother.

Anti-abortion, means pro-life of the baby being carried by the mother-to-be. Abortion is allowed at this point up to 22 weeks, you know after the baby begins to move in the womb, or maybe you don't know.

https://www.whattoexpect.com/pregnan...k/week-21.aspx

"Your little action figure is able to choreograph Matrix-like moves at 21 weeks pregnant. Arms and legs are finally in proportion, neurons are now connected between the brain and muscles, and cartilage throughout the body is turning to bone."

Seriously, any woman wanting an abortion should have to watch a video of development of her baby, before sentencing it to death. Sometimes I wonder though, should a woman that would order the death of her own child, maybe not ever reproduce.

It isn't a "right" to abortion, but abortion being a "right". More and more, people are weakening on the idea that the aborted is no more than a clump of cells.

Waiting for the vote to come in, as today we voted. YES, value them both!

Old 08-02-2022, 10:06 PM

20,871 posts, read 9,536,978 times
This thread is not aging well already.

Must-read thread on Twitter:
https://twitter.com/tbonier/status/1554648205782122496

Old 08-02-2022, 10:49 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,636,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
The Constitution now says that abortion is "right", which we all know it isn't. If that is removed, they will then make the decision based on what citizens of the states want as far as limits, etc. You know, "exceptions", which I believe every state allows for preserving the life of the mother.

Anti-abortion, means pro-life of the baby being carried by the mother-to-be. Abortion is allowed at this point up to 22 weeks, you know after the baby begins to move in the womb, or maybe you don't know.

https://www.whattoexpect.com/pregnan...k/week-21.aspx

"Your little action figure is able to choreograph Matrix-like moves at 21 weeks pregnant. Arms and legs are finally in proportion, neurons are now connected between the brain and muscles, and cartilage throughout the body is turning to bone."

Seriously, any woman wanting an abortion should have to watch a video of development of her baby, before sentencing it to death. Sometimes I wonder though, should a woman that would order the death of her own child, maybe not ever reproduce.

It isn't a "right" to abortion, but abortion being a "right". More and more, people are weakening on the idea that the aborted is no more than a clump of cells.

Waiting for the vote to come in, as today we voted. YES, value them both!
This evening I listened to a debate between two Oklahoma Republicans in runoff for U. S. Senator. They both support banning abortion at the national level, such as through a constitutional amendment. This so that unborn babies in California or New York can have the same right to life as those in Red States where all abortion may be banned or nearly so. But little did those two know that during the debate that Kansas voters were voting in favor of keeping the right to abortion in their state constitution by better than 60%.

I think Kansas voters voting yes simply don't want to let Republicans make their state a source of horror stories, such as forcing a 10 year old raped pregnant girl to go to a neighboring state for an abortion or the woman who had to carry around her dead fetus. Maybe you're not, but I'm afraid the horror stories could get even worse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies