Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2022, 06:22 PM

7,917 posts, read 3,458,721 times

Advertisements

I don't like this quote. Whenever someone does something crappy that turns in to a viral video there's always someone who thinks they're clever who cites this quote. I don't think it's clever though. It's like saying that whenever someone has a bad moment or a weak moment, you should let that moment define them, and there should be no hope of redemption.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2022, 06:30 PM

25,721 posts, read 18,797,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Waltz View Post
I don't like this quote. Whenever someone does something crappy that turns in to a viral video there's always someone who thinks they're clever who cites this quote. I don't think it's clever though. It's like saying that whenever someone has a bad moment or a weak moment, you should let that moment define them, and there should be no hope of redemption.
First time is a heads up. Repeated, habitual behavior is a clear indicator.

If trashiness is an ongoing, common trait in someone, then I must conclude that person is trashy. But yes, good people can have bad moments. It's the repetition that makes the difference.

Old 07-31-2022, 06:34 PM

17,441 posts, read 9,266,927 times
Quote:
It’s not a matter of “redemption” — it’s a matter of paying attention.
The quote is valid — it’s not “clever”, irs actually showing who a person is and what they are capable of.

It DOES. Show who they are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
First time is a heads up. Repeated, habitual behavior is a clear indicator.

If trashiness is an ongoing, common trait in someone, then I must conclude that person is trashy. But yes, good people can have bad moments. It's the repetition that makes the difference.
Yeah I see what you're saying. If they show you who they are over and over again then you gotta take notice. It seems when people cite that quote they are often referring to one time occurrences though.

2,869 posts, read 1,149,380 times
I tend to go by this motto. However, as Chris C states, first time is a heads up. Then it's "trust, but verify", and "follow your gut".
The reasoning that I don't ascribe to is when someone tries to explain away an unacceptable comment or tirade by saying, "Oh, he/she didn't mean it; he/she was drunk". Liquor = the world's oldest truth serum.

Old 07-31-2022, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
It’s not a matter of “redemption” — it’s a matter of paying attention.
The quote is valid — it’s not “clever”, irs actually showing who a person is and what they are capable of.

It DOES. Show who they are.
Or it shows that they had a bad day and you caught them at a weak moment. I agree if it appears to be a pattern it's more telling though.

Old 07-31-2022, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOldPuss View Post
I tend to go by this motto. However, as Chris C states, first time is a heads up. Then it's "trust, but verify", and "follow your gut".
The reasoning that I don't ascribe to is when someone tries to explain away an unacceptable comment or tirade by saying, "Oh, he/she didn't mean it; he/she was drunk". Liquor = the world's oldest truth serum.
When people's bad behavior is a result of liquor consumption that tends to be a regular occurrence though. I'd forgive someone for one drunken tirade but I'd keep an eye on them next time I saw them where liquor was involved.

Old 07-31-2022, 06:42 PM

7,817 posts, read 2,899,298 times
Quote:
I don't like this quote.

Well, the corporate media and the Deep State kinda told us who they were during the COVID thing. (Lockdowns, riots, mandates etc.)

So there's that.

Old 07-31-2022, 06:52 PM

5,654 posts, read 6,215,513 times
I agree with the quote generally. What Angelou was trying to say, IMO, was, if someone tells you this is who they are, you are in the wrong to assume something different, although I think there is a caveat that isn't spoken. The sentiment works when someone says something negative about himself/herself, not when someone says something positive. Generally speaking, it is fair to assume that if someone says something negative about himself/herself, it's because it is true. And in that case, you have only yourself to blame if you don't take them at their work. However, someone who has nothing but positive things to say about himself/herself - well, that's different, because there are various motivations for that. So for me the obvious interpretation is, if someone tells you that he or she is an "$T$T^$%" you should believe that person.

Old 07-31-2022, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowGirl View Post
I agree with the quote generally. What Angelou was trying to say, IMO, was, if someone tells you this is who they are, you are in the wrong to assume something different, although I think there is a caveat that isn't spoken. The sentiment works when someone says something negative about himself/herself, not when someone says something positive. Generally speaking, it is fair to assume that if someone says something negative about himself/herself, it's because it is true. And in that case, you have only yourself to blame if you don't take them at their work. However, someone who has nothing but positive things to say about himself/herself - well, that's different, because there are various motivations for that. So for me the obvious interpretation is, if someone tells you that he or she is an "$T$T^$%" you should believe that person.
Maybe the quote is just misused.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies