Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2022, 06:46 PM

29,447 posts, read 14,631,447 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR_C View Post
Can anyone provide the statistics to show just how much crime is increasing, compared to where it was in 1993 or even 2001?

While I certainly believe there has been an uptick in crime over the last few years, I don't believe it's as catastrophic as republicans say it is. They need to provide more perspective (more years) than just the increase over the record lows of the last few years.
What difference does it make ? Any time we see crime and violence regressing to former levels, is bad, and the root causes should be addressed. Regardless of political party.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2022, 07:03 PM

5,509 posts, read 9,488,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Fair enough, then the argument that crime dropped across the country at the same time, like another poster stated is also irrelevant.

Regardless, Guilani's, followed by Bloomberg's policies cleaned up NYC.
The argument isn't that crime dropped across the country. The argument is that crime also dropped in "dem run" cities, in addition to NYC. It's the republicans who are hanging their hat on Giuliani; that it was his republican policies that caused NYC's crime rate to drop. But the crime rate dropped in most cities, regardless of political party in control.

Old 08-03-2022, 07:04 PM

5,509 posts, read 9,488,459 times
Quote:
What difference does it make ? Any time we see crime and violence regressing to former levels, is bad, and the root causes should be addressed. Regardless of political party.
I don't disagree. But that doesn't seem to be what this thread is about.

Old 08-03-2022, 07:11 PM

29,447 posts, read 14,631,447 times
Quote:
The argument isn't that crime dropped across the country. The argument is that crime also dropped in "dem run" cities, in addition to NYC. It's the republicans who are hanging their hat on Giuliani; that it was his republican policies that caused NYC's crime rate to drop. But the crime rate dropped in most cities, regardless of political party in control.
Well, i believe Guiliani's policies did help clean up NYC.

Old 08-04-2022, 09:17 AM

37,960 posts, read 22,139,830 times
Quote:
Can anyone provide the statistics to show just how much crime is increasing, compared to where it was in 1993 or even 2001?

While I certainly believe there has been an uptick in crime over the last few years, I don't believe it's as catastrophic as republicans say it is. They need to provide more perspective (more years) than just the increase over the record lows of the last few years.
Are you referring to crime rates as a statistic for the entire nation as a whole? If so, then I don't think that is a relevant statistic to be used as a measuring stick here. If people are complaining bitterly about high crime rates, then they are speaking to the crime rates in the city they live in, not some nation-wide average. The correct way to look at this, is to see what the crime rates are in these cities that the people are living in, who are the ones complaining about crime.

I think that some folks might be missing the point, if they think we should not complain about high crime simply because they might have been worse during some other time. If you are a 20, or 25 year old person, and you are complaining about high crime rates and violence in your city. It's not fair to tell them their argument lacks sufficient merit because crime was worse five years before they were born.

I really don't think we should be telling people that crime's not something we can really complain about today, because current crime rates are a bit lower than the worst crime rates we experienced in the past. It's like telling people that $4 a gal gas prices today are not catastrophic, because they were $5 a gal one month ago. It's sort of like the kid who tries to convince mom that getting all Cs on his report card isn't a big deal, cuz he knows a kid that got all Ds.

Old 08-04-2022, 09:28 AM

37,960 posts, read 22,139,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yokel View Post
You have to look at the historical context. The national rates started rising during the mid 1960's specifically after 1965 due to the rioting that occurred during the civil rights movements. Everything good also have a trade off for being bad, the bad side of the movement were the rising crime rates that really kicked off in the mid 60's.

What we're seeing is history repeating itself, but with a slightly different twist, the concept is the same though. What you're seeing with this uptick in crime has really only been 2 years in. It actually really started in 2014 after the riots in Missouri, the effect wasn't as large because it wasn't nationwide. 2020 is where it really began.

Give it some time, the crime rates don't just shootup to early 90's level over the course of a year or two. It took 2 decades for it to reach the levels it did in 1990. I'm confident that crime rates will be much higher than today 2022 by the time we reach 2030 regardless of who's in charge of the politics because our society and it's morals are deteriorating at higher levels, again.

I will say it might be different this time around compared to the 1970's because the United States itself is going through a contraction on a global scale. Like I said about the different twist above, this is the difference between today and yesterday. Political affiliations won't be the instant cure Republicans hope for neither. It's just something we have to deal with now going forward. That's life.
Back during the 1960s, were we seeing a trend of local DAs with the attitude that they were bot going to prosecute people for committing a whole host of crimes? We have cities refusing to arrest shoplifters, and instituting policies which are letting criminals out of jail, without them even posting bail.

I think we have circumstances which are compounding the issue here. At the same time we are seeing a rise in violent crime, we have a local DAs and prosecutors who are flat out refusing to prosecute people for committing crimes. Business owners are abandoning their locations in cities, because crimes like shoplifting and looting is allowed to occur and the local DA and mayor are telling the police not to arrest the thieves.

Old 08-04-2022, 10:03 AM

25,704 posts, read 12,779,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo58 View Post
Almost all of our major cities are run by Democrats. So it would be just as accurate to title your thread "15 least deadliest cities democrat-run"

For example, Los Angeles has a murder rate of only 4 per 100,000.
LA's murder rate is up 35%, and crime is a major issue in the upcoming Mayoral race in November...LA is no shining city on a hill:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...rges#xj4y7vzkg

And, almost all America's cities are in a shambles...thanks Dems. Bad policies, ineffective leadership, & corruption run amuck.

State gov't has little control of cities w/in its state. Mayors, city councils, Chief of police, & other city officials run the show, so trying to deflect responsibility to the states doesn't fly...but nice try.

Dems have destroyed our major cities'; infrastruture, police enforcement, schools, retail envornment where food deserts are common, & driving out pharmacies residents depend upon. Homelesssness, abortion, drug abuse, riots, looting...all associated with Dem run and controlled American cities.

There are a few Pub run cities w/ problems too, but very very few as compared to the Dems fallen cities. Do I need to list them all?

Old 08-04-2022, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Are any of these cities regarded as such damned bad places to try to live in that they have to resort to bribing people with money to move there?
Resoundingly...yes! The City of Detroit will pay you to move into vacant homes there so you can start paying property taxes, & fix them up:

https://www.businessinsider.com/home...dollars-2019-7

Old 08-04-2022, 10:10 AM

57,227 posts, read 26,182,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainrose View Post
Violent crime in these cities is mostly coming from blacks — both the victims and the criminals —in these cities blacks are higher than the normal 13% of population, and democrats REFUSE to address the black crime rate.

Dems tell us that Black Lives Matter, but then call you a racist if you try to address this tragic situation with blacks.
I think it’s racist NOT to address this.
How does one selectively address the "black crime rate".

What are the proposed solutions to address the crime rate in general in these cities many of which are in republican controlled states.

Old 08-04-2022, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Lol, reading comprehension is key, i even underlined it.

Here it is again.
New York City Experienced A 56% Decline In The FBI Crime Index Between 1993 And 2001, Far Outpacing 16% Decline In National Crime Index. "
Indisputable facts like those you cited above ^^ are the Liberals worst enemy. You just destroyed the Libs arguments here. Guiiani cleaned up NYC...Republican city governing policies work, Liberal policies fail...nearly every time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies