Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2022, 01:21 PM

35,699 posts, read 21,054,375 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
I will say I applaud you for admitting frankly that you support illegal immigration from Mexico, and you have no problem if the United States becomes a Latin American country in language, standard of living and way of life.

Most Democrats will not actually come out and say this, even though that is what they secretly believe also.
Nah. Not even true. But I do think we are more live and let live, however, the new kids on the block do not want our old ways. And because the older pop is huge, right now, there is a push to go backwards and leave things as they were. Boomers will lose. Millennials are the highest consumers and spend a lot of money. Guess who wins? The ones making the world go round, the money spenders. Yes, boomers have wealth, but they scrimp or save. Companies are geared up to provide for these young ones - this is going to mark the spot in a short time.

And coming up last but not least is Generation Alpha, the name given by social analyst Mark McCrindle to the youngest children on the planet. By the year 2025 there will be nearly 2 billion members of Generation Alpha across the globe.

https://www.kasasa.com/exchange/arti...-x-gen-y-gen-z

Old 08-07-2022, 03:30 PM

5,738 posts, read 5,443,536 times
I prefer Democrats' message to help people vs Republicans' "You're on your own, kiddo."

I'm certainly not a fan of how Democrats tax & spend money, but Republicans are equally bad on that front. Nothing like whining over some $100 million bill that will actually help ordinary people, then voting for $100 billion to help their rich friends.

Old 08-07-2022, 03:51 PM

2,953 posts, read 993,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRR View Post
I would really like to have the opportunity to vote Republican in 2024. But I would vote for a head of lettuce for President before I would vote for Donald Trump. Not only is he as dumb as a box of rocks with multiple psychological problems, but he gleefully works at unleashing all the really bad emotions in America to pit people against each other. When it comes to Presidents, I rank him right down at the bottom with Andrew Johnson.
I think all conservatives would love to have your vote. I have been warning fellow republicans for a yr and a half that Donald Trump as leader of the GOP would beget exactly your response and alienate would-be voters. From a pure standpoint of maximizing our odds of an electoral victory, Trump is a boat anchor.

That said, I really don't understand your reaction. It's not uncommon but it still puzzles me and I'm sort of driven to dissect it. You say you would vote for a head of lettuce over Trump and to that I figuratively shout "But you DID vote for a head of lettuce over Trump and see what it got us?" The lettuce has wrecked our country. Forget about Trump for just a sec and try to objectively compare America's current status to that of two yrs ago. How is it not blindingly obvious that president Salad Greens has completely F'd us? I think your key phrase is "unleashing the really bad emotions in America" Emotions ... emotions ... I don't understand how feelings can be more important to anyone than objective results and data. I believe the people in our two political camps are wired very differently in terms of how we reach conclusions. I would urge you to honestly weigh in each hand the 'now' vs the 'then' and vote based on the outcomes we've already experienced and not emotions.

Old 08-07-2022, 04:11 PM

23,974 posts, read 15,082,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wee-Bey View Post
I think all conservatives would love to have your vote. I have been warning fellow republicans for a yr and a half that Donald Trump as leader of the GOP would beget exactly your response and alienate would-be voters. From a pure standpoint of maximizing our odds of an electoral victory, Trump is a boat anchor.

That said, I really don't understand your reaction. It's not uncommon but it still puzzles me and I'm sort of driven to dissect it. You say you would vote for a head of lettuce over Trump and to that I figuratively shout "But you DID vote for a head of lettuce over Trump and see what it got us?" The lettuce has wrecked our country. Forget about Trump for just a sec and try to objectively compare America's current status to that of two yrs ago. How is it not blindingly obvious that president Salad Greens has completely F'd us? I think your key phrase is "unleashing the really bad emotions in America" Emotions ... emotions ... I don't understand how feelings can be more important to anyone than objective results and data. I believe the people in our two political camps are wired very differently in terms of how we reach conclusions. I would urge you to honestly weigh in each hand the 'now' vs the 'then' and vote based on the outcomes we've already experienced and not emotions.
Apples to apples? What were the conditions in the world when TFG was POTUS and when Biden was inaugurated?

Two years ago today POTUS Trump was about to enter into an agreement to buy vaccine from Moderna. Many places were under quarantine.

The emotional event taking place in my state today is the conservatives meetings up in Dallas.

Old 08-07-2022, 05:17 PM
JRR

8,165 posts, read 5,661,013 times
Quote:

Well, I don't feel that I am living in a "wrecked country" which seems to be the mantra of the Party of Trump. Granted we have our problems, but I would lay a lot of them on Trump's doorstep. He really worked hard (and still does) at constantly stirring up dissention and demonizing anyone who was not 100% in his camp. The line stretches out the door of former administration officials he has turned on like a rabid chihuahua.

I am someone who voted for Mitt Romney in 2012 and supported John Kasich in 2016 and only voted for Clinton and Biden because of Trump and I have no regrets for those votes . And if I am put into the camp of being emotional when it comes to Trump; so be it. Nothing would make me happier then seeing him consigned to the dustbin of history.

Old 08-07-2022, 06:23 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,956,122 times
Quote:
Can and should be. There are many effective layers of defense against unwanted pregnancy including behavior, contraception, pregnancy prevention (Plan B) and medical abortion that actual surgical abortion could and should become so rare as to not be much of an issue at all. Meet us there and most Americans will meet you at 12 weeks.
If most people would meet in the middle with a moderate set of rules for abortion as you listed, why are some states so hellbent on banning it altogether?

Old 08-07-2022, 08:20 PM

13,654 posts, read 9,714,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRR View Post
Well, I don't feel that I am living in a "wrecked country" which seems to be the mantra of the Party of Trump. ...

I am someone who voted for Mitt Romney in 2012 and supported John Kasich in 2016 and only voted for Clinton and Biden because of Trump and I have no regrets for those votes . ...
Another Kasich supporter here, even though Mr. Kasich was vehemently anti-abortion. Kasich, more than any politician in recent memory, substantially lowered my [state] taxes. Bravo! But he wasn't sufficiently "MAGA" to capture the nomination in 2016. Oh well.

To "wreck" a country is intensely unlikely. James Buchanan arguably achieved it in the 1850s. But I wouldn't even say that Herbert Hoover "wrecked" America in 1929-1933, as his policies, however foolish, were (1) the result of mainstream consensus, and hence not solely his fault, and (2) it's doubtful that any alternative would have substantially better. Neither did Jimmy Carter "wreck" America in the late 1970s, albeit he's only too easy to blame.

Biden's fault is a combination of passivity over incoming events, and grandiose attempt to wreak long-term New-Deal-Style realignment of the prevailing view - where there was nowhere near enough consensus on such prevailing view. But he takes the blame for the recession, simply because of backlash and reciprocation over similar blame, at the time, against Trump.

It is folly to let politics dictate our investment. Remember the fall of 2016, when the prevailing view was that a Trump presidency would wreck the stock market? Though vehemently anti-Trump, I continued investing as before. It paid off. Not because of Trump's policies, but because the economy doesn't really care who's in power, for good or bad.

This is precisely why economic issues, for all of their importance, are secondary in the political realm, to social and cultural issues. Trump's principal legacy is his three Supreme Court appointees. Decades hence, Trump will be remembered neither for his trade spat with China, nor his tax cuts, nor his handling of the coronavirus pandemic, but for what he did to the Supreme Court.

Old 08-07-2022, 08:27 PM

2,388 posts, read 2,341,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
Exactly.

Different people have different priorities. Most people are moderate. I worry about the country's future, women's abortion is certainly not something I worry or care about since 90% of time, unintended pregnancy can be prevented.
No they aren't, at least not anymore. This isn't the 90s. People vote on 2 things: emotions and their own wallet.

Old 08-07-2022, 08:32 PM

9,870 posts, read 4,646,105 times
Many are probably single issue emotional voters. The Democrats and left feed off of emotion like a vampire on blood.They know they trigger the right people and perpetuate the right issues and people there will be a triggered/incited base.

Old 08-08-2022, 04:14 AM

24,630 posts, read 9,458,962 times
Many prosperous conservatives vote Democrat, or claim they vote Democrat, because voting Republican means instant discrimination from potential dates, colleagues, employers, business, deals, networks, universities, Hollywood gigs, etc.

Example, wear a MAGA hat and see how you get treated. Now wear a BLM/gay pride shirt and see how you're treated. Case closed on why rich people vote Democrat: to protect themselves.

Another example is the Jewish community. Dems have been very clear that they don't like Israel yet many prosperous Jewish people still vote Democrat to further protect themselves from any leftist backlash for voting Republican. Despite the fact many are in the banking business, which many conservatives are in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies