Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2022, 12:20 PM

2,953 posts, read 992,084 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haksel257 View Post
So are they anti-public gun ownership, or are they Marxist?
Our leftists? They're both of course. Gun ownership is not a tenet of Marxism. Name me one Marxist govt in history that favored private gun ownership. Go sell that someplace else.

Old 08-02-2022, 12:24 PM

4,295 posts, read 1,553,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wee-Bey View Post
Our leftists? They're both of course. Gun ownership is not a tenet of Marxism.
Unless you get it straight from Marx.

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary."

Of course, you're right in so much that no government claiming to be Marxist has not cracked down on private firearm ownership, but Marx himself suggests otherwise.

I'm struggling with the question why anyone with access to all the world's knowledge at a fingertip vote for either major party which strangles democracy in the United States - to my mind, a two party state is not a whole lot better than a one-party one.

Old 08-02-2022, 12:40 PM

5,918 posts, read 2,751,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
Unions used to a be a very big deal.
Unions were great before there were labor laws in place. In today's society, they don't serve much of a purpose. Public unions should be banned. They're syphoning off taxpayer funds for their own profiteering.

Old 08-02-2022, 12:44 PM

1,885 posts, read 1,001,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wee-Bey View Post
Our leftists? They're both of course. Gun ownership is not a tenet of Marxism. Name me one Marxist govt in history that favored private gun ownership. Go sell that someplace else.
I consider Karl Marx himself to be a better authority on Marxism than supposed Marxist governments. There are many interpretations of Marxism of course, but the original eponymous author explicitly defended the violent resistance of disarmament of the proletariat. Marxism is also anti-hierarchy, in stark contrast to communist governments with absurd wealth gaps near the top. I don't consider China to be a "People's republic", either.

Besides, if anything, you should be glad I'm turning leftists on to the beauty and power of the 2A!

Old 08-02-2022, 12:46 PM

9,319 posts, read 16,655,876 times
Because the wealthy have tax shelters and report little "income", tax loopholes, globalization (they move their money wherever the want), American companies can move their businesses anywhere in the world, and ability to hire foreign workers via visa.

Most of all the rich depend on Democrats to keep the poor people poor, handing out benefits and $$$, so they can be the elite Americans.

Old 08-02-2022, 12:52 PM

21,430 posts, read 7,449,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Quiet_One View Post
I understand why someone on welfare would vote for Democrats because they want the assistance. And I get why college students living off their parents would. And I see why some working class people would if they're seeking better benefits and a higher minimum wage.

But, nowadays, a massive portion of the Democratic base is made up of wealthy elites. If someone considers themselves to be financially successful through their decisions and hard work, what reason do they have to vote for Democrats other than shame and guilt for being successful? Shame over the perceived bad state of the environment, race, poverty, history, housing, etc, and guilt for somehow believing they're at least partly responsible for the problem and fully responsible for the fix.
You seem to need to place everyone in nice little categories so the big scary world makes sense to you.

Keep up with your mythmaking if it makes you feel better. I am sure there are plenty of places on the internet where you can feed your demons.

Old 08-02-2022, 01:48 PM

4,295 posts, read 1,553,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAN_Man View Post
Unions were great before there were labor laws in place. In today's society, they don't serve much of a purpose. Public unions should be banned. They're syphoning off taxpayer funds for their own profiteering.
Yes, because there's no way corporations would ever allow such protections to backslide were unions banned. Your naivete is showing.

Old 08-02-2022, 01:52 PM
bu2

24,070 posts, read 14,863,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesychios View Post
You seem to need to place everyone in nice little categories so the big scary world makes sense to you.

Keep up with your mythmaking if it makes you feel better. I am sure there are plenty of places on the internet where you can feed your demons.
That is kind of the idea of the thread. Its clear you don't have anything of value to add, unlike some of the Democrats responding. So you could just ignore it if it offends you.

Old 08-02-2022, 01:53 PM

7,237 posts, read 3,776,807 times
Why would a financially successful person vote Democrat? In my inexperience, for most Democrats it's indoctrination and guilt.

Of course, you have to define financially successful. I have neighbors who are doing quite well working unionized government jobs. I recently read that about 20% of Californians earn their income via government jobs of some sort and they are all unionized. They blindly vote Democrat to ensure their fat taxpayer-supported pensions will be there when they retire.

Old 08-02-2022, 02:10 PM

1,198 posts, read 1,624,710 times
I can't speak for all of the democrats who I've met because they come from a variety of backgrounds, but as far as the bulk of the liberals who I've met in the last decade, they vote democrat because it feels good, and they believe it reflects status in society.

Let's face it, it's a rare man or woman who looks at issues through the perspective of there being multiple valid, but also opposing viewpoints that can both be respectable. For some time now, it seems like liberals have convinced themselves that they have the moral high ground on all of the issues that their party supports, and therefore anyone who doesn't agree with them is a racist, homophobic, xenophobic mouth breather with a room-temperature IQ at best (if not that exact list, they are loaded with other societal ills).

IOW there's no way that someone could not agree with them in lockstep and still be virtuous, morally upright or intelligent.

It's sickening really, because conversations are often reduced to absurdity, spins/deflection, and ad hominem attacks before any fruitful middle ground is found, and I think they often virtue signal more because they worry about keeping up with the liberal Joneses than worrying about actually seeing problems get solved.

To be fair, there are also some republicans out there like that, just on different sides of the issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies