Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2022, 01:26 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,952,754 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ehrmantraut View Post
I'm pro choice, that's a valid point although would be the VASSSST minority.

But otherwise what I said stands, they can drive a few hours across state lines and think about what they're doing and what they can do in the future to prevent this. I don't care what a science book says, it is killing a baby. I know of a Hooters waitress who has had 5 abortions. 5. I've never even heard of that and it blew my mind.
Well, too many states seem to forget about "the VASSSST minority" when they write their very restrictive laws.

Old 08-05-2022, 01:35 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,952,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattja View Post
The old democrat party line (lie) strikes again.
Why must you disparage another person's viewpoint when they answered the OP's question? Does it make you feel like a better person when you do so? SMH

Old 08-05-2022, 01:39 PM

19,023 posts, read 14,198,297 times
The choice is simple :

Want to be a recipient of government sponsored confiscation of surplus and compulsory labor for the benefit of another?
Then vote LEFT !
If you wish to keep your earnings and property, vote ... uh ... wait... there is no RIGHT wing in support of no taxes, and reduced government....
D'Oh.

Old 08-05-2022, 01:59 PM

1,100 posts, read 431,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
If you can afford that boat, you are complaining about first world problems. Inflation is no more than an inconvenience to you. So stop pretending you care about inflation. Most people can't afford to buy a row boat.
Uh, I can complain about it all I want. It's ridiculous. I overpaid as it is by thousands.

I care about my fellow countrymen and thus, inflation. It doesn't change my life but you think I like paying $8500 for something that was $6200 three years ago under Meanie Pants??

I have changed some habits around, so yes, it does affect me.

People who aren't poor still have a right to complain about skyrocketing everything.

Old 08-05-2022, 02:06 PM

20,865 posts, read 9,529,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Quiet_One View Post
I understand why someone on welfare would vote for Democrats because they want the assistance. And I get why college students living off their parents would. And I see why some working class people would if they're seeking better benefits and a higher minimum wage.

But, nowadays, a massive portion of the Democratic base is made up of wealthy elites. If someone considers themselves to be financially successful through their decisions and hard work, what reason do they have to vote for Democrats other than shame and guilt for being successful? Shame over the perceived bad state of the environment, race, poverty, history, housing, etc, and guilt for somehow believing they're at least partly responsible for the problem and fully responsible for the fix.
Once all your own wants, needs and desires are fulfilled, you start to think of what other people who are less fortunate than you might want and need. Furthermore, once all your financial needs are met, money becomes less important.

Old 08-05-2022, 03:12 PM

2,953 posts, read 992,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haksel257 View Post
I consider Karl Marx himself to be a better authority on Marxism than supposed Marxist governments. There are many interpretations of Marxism of course, but the original eponymous author explicitly defended the violent resistance of disarmament of the proletariat. Marxism is also anti-hierarchy, in stark contrast to communist governments with absurd wealth gaps near the top. I don't consider China to be a "People's republic", either.

Besides, if anything, you should be glad I'm turning leftists on to the beauty and power of the 2A!
That was a tweedy elbow-patched adjunct professor's answer. I don't care about your academic definitions. They're irrelevant. Marxism in every single one of its implementations has stripped the people of their firearms as a prerequisite for dictatorship. There is no positive side of Marxism to be argued. Go attach yourself to someone else who might engage you in volleys of TLDR pontification.

Old 08-05-2022, 03:16 PM

17,304 posts, read 12,242,173 times
“Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary” - Marx

Old 08-05-2022, 10:47 PM

2,842 posts, read 2,328,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
You certainly have a point there. Tribal identity and tribal affinity govern our politics, far more than analysis of the issues.

My own tribe is that of child-free atheists, regardless of their ethnicity, fiscal views, national origin or policy ideas.

I'm going to vote for that candidate who most closely aligns with "my tribe". And often, that candidate is a Democrat.
Now that makes sense to me. You have no faith, family, or patriotism, so it makes perfect sense why you would vote the way you do. At least you own it and I respect that.

Old 08-06-2022, 12:47 AM

27,560 posts, read 28,652,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
My own tribe is that of child-free atheists, regardless of their ethnicity, fiscal views, national origin or policy ideas. Every time that Republicans in particular venerate the families and the religious, my tribal sensibilities are offended.
I want America to have a certain dominant culture. That does not include 100 million Spanish-speaking people from Latin American countries.

Democrats support open borders and illegal immigration into perpetuity. That is clearly their stated goal and policy. Therefore, I do not identify with that tribe.

Old 08-06-2022, 02:25 AM

12,722 posts, read 7,572,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Quiet_One View Post
If someone considers themselves to be financially successful through their decisions and hard work, what reason do they have to vote for Democrats other than shame and guilt for being successful?
Depends in what capacity. I'd vote for any of the democratic challengers to keep Trump out of office because I believe he is a self-serving impulsive liar. A lot of extremist Republicans are election deniers and try to whitewash Jan 6 I'd vote for either a more moderate Republican or a Democrat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies