Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2022, 03:16 PM

16,911 posts, read 10,588,035 times

Advertisements

The former slave quarters was renovated and selling for $165 per night:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...cry-users.html

It had nearly 5 stars. A black tik tocker went on a rant about it and the company took it off the site. The cabin looks nice as it exists today.
Moderators for US and World Forums
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2022, 03:30 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,004,475 times
In the article you linked it seems that the original building wasn't slaves quarter?. The new owner said that's how the previous owner wanted to market it as. I do have a problem with someone who thinks it is appropriate to market an Airbnb as past slave quarters. I can't imagine thinking it would be cool to stay in a place that once was a slaves quarter.

Old 08-02-2022, 03:31 PM

17,618 posts, read 6,905,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
In the article you linked it seems that the original building wasn't slaves quarter?. The new owner said that's how the previous owner wanted to market it as. I do have a problem with someone who thinks it is appropriate to market an Airbnb as past slave quarters. I can't imagine thinking it would be cool to stay in a place that once was a slaves quarter.
So then YOU don't have to stay there.

Old 08-02-2022, 03:32 PM

8,806 posts, read 6,109,397 times
If someone finds it wrong or distasteful, they can not go there. But the left, woke, progressive cancel culture folk will not stop until they suss out every obscure corner of history and culture they might disagree with.

It’s so tolerant of them.

Old 08-02-2022, 03:33 PM

8,806 posts, read 6,109,397 times
Quote:
Would you tour it? If so, what’s the difference in sleeping there or just walking through?

Old 08-02-2022, 03:39 PM

6,379 posts, read 2,705,140 times
Based on the article, it seems as if the owner is saying that they never were Slave Quarters, but that is how the previous owner marketed it. If that is the case, I actually have a bigger problem with the owner than had the cabin been actual slave quarters.

If they were truly slave quarters, that could have some historical significance. A bit odd and don't think I would rent it out. But in all honestly, I don't think there are many "historical" buildings left in the south that don't have some tie to slavery.

However, if it wasn't actually slave quarters, but that is how he was marketing it, that is fraud. The "Well that's how the other guy marked it" doesn't fly. They would have every justification to kick the listing off.

Old 08-02-2022, 04:58 PM

16,911 posts, read 10,588,035 times
The new owner says it was a doctor house. It was built in 1857 so it could very well have been either.
Moderators for US and World Forums

Old 08-02-2022, 05:16 PM

18,438 posts, read 8,268,923 times
oh please.....I am over it

Old 08-02-2022, 05:25 PM

5,067 posts, read 1,665,707 times
the more people cave to these woke liberal idiots the more it emboldens them.

The negative, divisive woke cancel culture is what needs to be cancelled.

Old 08-02-2022, 05:29 PM

78,382 posts, read 60,566,039 times
Quote:
It could be amazingly educational for some to take their kids there and explain how slaves were treated etc. and piled in a cabin.

But hey, I'm all about learning from history and others just want to bury it.

I think this is why we have so many youth that just cannot connect to past events as it's all been watered down and pushed down and erased.

So basically, one irate dude managed to create enough of a stink to remove that opportunity from everyone else.

I'd really strongly urge contemplating if that is the best approach to take in these matters. Just give in to a small group of angry folks and let them dictate what is appropriate?

P.S. I just got done listening to a many hours long podcast on the slave trade by Dan Carlin (Hardcore History) and wow was it eye opening. We need to encourage learning and understanding. My 2 cents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies