Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2022, 05:24 AM

7,356 posts, read 3,527,265 times

Advertisements

i live in red america and enjoy the lack of restrictions and regulations. it makes life easier, cheaper, less stressful. sure, i cant get my weekly dosage of abortions if i dont meet certain criteria, but it’s a small price to pay to be in a place that embodies limited government. my former state was dark blue and leftist points of view were not only expressed Whether you asked for it or not but if you did not agree, you would be completely ostracized and demonized.

If you don’t think the Democrats have moved further left, then when you compare them to Democrats of say 20 years ago were they just right wingers in disguise? progressives always move forward, it’s what they do. to deny that is contrary to liberal beliefs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2022, 05:36 AM

1,224 posts, read 513,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
This was a prominent piece by Paul Krugman, making an important point.

Democrats are often told they should try to be understanding about the views/mindset of Republicans. But it doesn't seem to me that Republicans have any interest in being understanding on their part.

The Dystopian Myths of Red America
The Big Lie is embedded in an even bigger lie: the claim that the Democratic Party is controlled by radical leftists aiming to destroy America as we know it. And this lie in turn derives a lot of its persuasiveness from a grotesquely distorted view of what life is like in blue America.
Now, the reality is that the modern Democratic Party is a mildly center-left coalition, consisting of what Europeans would call social democrats, and relatively conservative ones at that.
On the domestic violence front, a study by the Anti-Defamation League found that 75 percent of extremist-related domestic killings from 2012 to 2021 were perpetrated by the right and only 4 percent by the left.
https://www.sltrib.com/opinion/comme...ian-myths-red/

ADL has as much credibility as SPLC, both grifters. Probably 90% of "extremist" killings are left on right.

Old 08-04-2022, 05:41 AM

8,418 posts, read 4,575,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
Didn't Paul Krugman once claim that the internet's impact on the economy would be no greater than the fax machine's?

"The growth of the Internet will slow drastically, as the flaw in ‘Metcalfe’s law’which states that the number of potential connections in a network is proportional to the square of the number of participants — becomes apparent: most people have nothing to say to each other! By 2005 or so, it will become clear that the Internet’s impact on the economy has been no greater than the fax machine’s.”

So... The number of connections for people to use a service is proportional to the number of people who use the service... Brilliant law! I think that law applies to hamburgers as well.

Old 08-04-2022, 06:03 AM

21,932 posts, read 9,498,367 times
Quote:

Democrats are often told they should try to be understanding about the views/mindset of Republicans. But it doesn't seem to me that Republicans have any interest in being understanding on their part.

The Big Lie is embedded in an even bigger lie: the claim that the Democratic Party is controlled by radical leftists aiming to destroy America as we know it. And this lie in turn derives a lot of its persuasiveness from a grotesquely distorted view of what life is like in blue America.
Now, the reality is that the modern Democratic Party is a mildly center-left coalition, consisting of what Europeans would call social democrats, and relatively conservative ones at that.
On the domestic violence front, a study by the Anti-Defamation League found that 75 percent of extremist-related domestic killings from 2012 to 2021 were perpetrated by the right and only 4 percent by the left.
You lost me at Paul Krugman.

Old 08-04-2022, 07:04 AM

20,834 posts, read 17,100,379 times
I used to read the times. Krugman was obtuse then and is wrong consistently on major issues the land is facing.

Old 08-04-2022, 07:45 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 2 days ago)

27,175 posts, read 13,455,286 times
Quote:

There is no one definition fits all in terms to what Europeans would even call a centre left coalition, however I doubt it would be the Democrats, and it's interesting to see that many countries and political parties in Europe increasingly want to distance themselves from the US woke type politics of the current US left.

The French for instance have publicly rejected US woke type culture, whilst the conservative current leadership battle in Britain, has been based around who is the most anti-woke candidate.

I rally don't think US Democrat style politics would be accepted in many parts of Europe and if anything Europe is moving away from the left and to the right in a number of countries.

Last edited by Brave New World; 08-04-2022 at 08:04 AM..

Old 08-04-2022, 08:55 AM

17,004 posts, read 12,589,940 times
1) European political definitions of right and left dont work well in the US. Demographics are different. Workforce participation is different. And quite frankly comparing life in Sweden pop 10 million vs the US at 330 million. Logistics are different.

Basically my (completely worthless) opinion is that if the US were to try to emulate Sweden we would end up with Greece, not Sweden.

2) I have seen the lists talking about right wing vs left wing violence. I suspect the data is being deliberately skewed.

3) Left of center violence is generally given softer treatment by authorities. (See Eric Clanton) I dont argue most Jan 6 people are over punished. I argue Summer 2020 rioters are under punished and sometimes ignored.

Old 08-04-2022, 09:46 AM

5,210 posts, read 4,670,759 times
The Republican party consists of a bunch of white supremacist with a few token minority members who think they are special. The Democratic party is everyone else left over, forced into the same party whether they agree with each other or not.

Old 08-04-2022, 09:59 AM

2,414 posts, read 2,987,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattja View Post
One party, for the most part, is compromised of people who just want to be left alone.
The other party is compromised of people who want to control every aspect of another's life, their speech, and their thoughts, if they could.

Why in God's name should anyone want to be understanding with the latter?
Given that this board skews to the right, I'm guessing that you think it's the reps who want to be left alone, but I see it the other way around. The right is trying to control women's bodies, trans bodies, school books, what teachers can say, etc. Women, LGBTQ+, minorities, etc. just want to be left alone to make their own decisions and make happy lives, but the right won't leave them alone.

Old 08-04-2022, 10:15 AM

10,172 posts, read 20,780,553 times
Another article telling us not to believe our lying eyes. Yeah okay. I don't need a liberal to tell me that the country is heading down a utopian path paved with gold and social justice for all. We are circling the toilet to be flushed into a reservoir of radical injustice, where the middle class is broken down, no one can own anything to include single family homes, no guns, no cars, no privacy, no freedom of speech. When we go to a cashless society, you either obey or they turn off your bank card and you don't eat. Anyone who thinks it can't happen, just read Orwell's work from 80 years ago to see how prophetic his work has become.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies