Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2022, 07:00 PM

73,020 posts, read 62,622,338 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
Yes, I remember The (Chinese) Triad was just as, if not more so infamous as the Italian mafia in the 90’s-early 2000’s. I’m sure they are around to some degree now, but they definitely aren’t as large or powerful as they were decades ago. Similar to the Italian mafia, the older generation was running them, and now that they’ve started to age out, there isn’t a younger generation to keep it going.
Lower birth rates, a much larger portion of the Italian-American population (as well as the Chinese-American population) has made it into the middle class. Not as many people to recruit from.

With Black street gangs, who are relative Johnny-come-latelys to the game, I don't see this happening. While the Black middle class has grown, there is still a large enough underclass for the gangs to recruit from.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2022, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john3232 View Post
The fact is Blacks have been committing hate crimes against Asians in SF for decades. It started in the late 70's when refugees from South East Asia were placed into public housing.

What's different today is such assaults are now being caught on video.
What do you think will put a stop to it, other than tough prison sentences? While prison sentences are needed, I wonder if it will ever send any message?

Old 08-07-2022, 07:06 PM

5,281 posts, read 3,079,464 times
This is what happens when you refuse law abiding people of good standing the right to defend themselves by not granting them a concealed pistol license.
If I was 80 years old and in a targeted group like the elderly asian women I would carry any way if the bad laws did not legally allow me to.

What’s up with all the hate these poor women are getting from a certain group of people?

Old 08-07-2022, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechAndy View Post
This is what happens when you refuse law abiding people of good standing the right to defend themselves by not granting them a concealed pistol license.
If I was 80 years old and in a targeted group like the elderly asian women I would carry any way if the bad laws did not legally allow me to.

What’s up with all the hate these poor women are getting from a certain group of people?
I agree with being able to conceal-carry. California has a history of not being too friendly when it comes to guns. It started with Reagan when he was the governor of California in the 1960s.

What's with the hate? Resentment and anger. Another poster already talked about that part.

Old 08-07-2022, 07:09 PM

14,968 posts, read 9,814,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
What do you think will put a stop to it, other than tough prison sentences? While prison sentences are needed, I wonder if it will ever send any message?
paraphrased...

“It may be true that the law cannot make a man love me, but it can keep him from killing me, and I think that’s pretty important.”

lockem' up

Old 08-07-2022, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
paraphrased...

“It may be true that the law cannot make a man love me, but it can keep him from killing me, and I think that’s pretty important.”

lockem' up
Someone said that these kinds of attacks have been going on since the 1970s. In the 1970s people were getting locked up for attacking people. I'm saying it won't be enough. It keeps happening over and over. This problem is about 2 generations old. I think people carrying guns and shooting the attackers might be the only thing that will stop it.

Old 08-07-2022, 08:11 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,876,506 times
Quote:
Lower birth rates, a much larger portion of the Italian-American population (as well as the Chinese-American population) has made it into the middle class. Not as many people to recruit from.

With Black street gangs, who are relative Johnny-come-latelys to the game, I don't see this happening. While the Black middle class has grown, there is still a large enough underclass for the gangs to recruit from.
Yup. Over time those groups have become “Americanized,” and the younger generation of American (enter whatever ethnicity) doesn’t really have the organized crime mentality and doesn’t really have the toughness that older generation or in some cases immigrants who grew up in harsh conditions overseas had. Like you said. Many of those gangsters had kids who grew up upper-class (and because of that, likely soft).

From what I have heard and read, gangs seemed to be much more “organized” back in the day too. At least in Chicago, the gang violence now is over twitter beefs. Decades ago, while Chicago was always tough and had a large gang presence, it was a lot more organized and less random violence.

Old 08-07-2022, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
Yup. Over time those groups have become “Americanized,” and the younger generation of American (enter whatever ethnicity) doesn’t really have the organized crime mentality and doesn’t really have the toughness that older generation or in some cases immigrants who grew up in harsh conditions overseas had. Like you said. Many of those gangsters had kids who grew up upper-class (and because of that, likely soft).

From what I have heard and read, gangs seemed to be much more “organized” back in the day too. At least in Chicago, the gang violence now is over twitter beefs. Decades ago, while Chicago was always tough and had a large gang presence, it was a lot more organized and less random violence.
With Black Americans, they were already American, but had a harder time getting a piece of that American dream. Alot of Black gangs were formed during the 1950s and 1960s, the last parts of the Great Migration. Some of the gangs tried to get the same clout that the Mafia had. It didn't work as easily. They were getting caught easier, and the violence was much more brazen.

The closest any Black criminal organization got to the Mafia was Frank Lucas' outfit. He found he could go to Thailand, get the drugs from there, very pure. It used to be that you got drugs from the Mafia. Frank Lucas cut the middle man out of it. He had Harlem for a few years, and then he got taken down in 1975.

Law enforcement thought that by taking out the main players in the gangs, the gangs would disintegrate. It didn't happen that way. Plenty of poor, angry, Black males available for recruiting into gangs. Not only that, with the main leaders in prison or dead, there was no real organization. Gang members did whatever they pleased. This is what happened to some Chicago gangs. No real "OG" would go on Twitter and start "beefs" with people online. That brings too much attention. And given that young gang members will kill over perceived disrespect, it isn't smart to go insult other gang members on Twitter.

Old 08-07-2022, 08:38 PM

3,113 posts, read 939,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yspobo View Post
I seriously doubt that the lady wants to watch such things.
I do favor beating/mutilating/killing violent criminals, filming it, and broadcasting it to the general public as a form of entertainment. It won’t deter everyone but it will deter many.

I was in the KSA for business when someone made a joke about one-handed Afghans. Apparently they do the hajj and many steal. The joke was only Afghans were stubborn enough to make it no hands.

Saudi Arabia is very safe for this reason.

Old 08-07-2022, 09:44 PM

13,743 posts, read 8,004,726 times
Quote:
The Asian community in SF has begun to take a stand. They recently helped remove District Attorney Chesa Boudin from office.

“We are tired of having attacks on our seniors dismissed, delegitimized, ignored” Lee had written in a tweet prior to the election outcome. “It’s not progressive or Democratic to talk at, instead of listen to, communities of color.”
https://www.yahoo.com/video/asian-am...000941006.html

A canary in the coal mine in San Francisco?
My interest in examining Asian American voters within the context of the larger electorate came about because of what has arguably been the political earthquake of the year thus far – the June 7 recall of progressive District Attorney Chesa Boudin in deep-blue San Francisco.

One big reason Boudin went down to defeat: Asian American voters.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/06/19/polit...ter/index.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies