Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2022, 05:37 PM

13,709 posts, read 7,987,762 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Either way, alot of Black people had distrust for Koreans (at least in the low-income neighborhoods). And it didn't get any better.

Historically, there have been all kinds of clashes between Blacks and immigrants. Cincinnati had race riots during the early 19th century, between Blacks and Irish immigrants. Irish immigrants tried to drive free Blacks out of Cincinnati. In 1899, a riot broke out between Blacks and Arabs in Newburgh, NY. Why? Competition over brickyard jobs.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cincinnati_riots_of_1829
https://www.blackpast.org/african-am...ace-riot-1899/

Basically, many immigrants didn't like Blacks and many Blacks didn't like immigrants. And it turned into violence for ages. Many cases, Blacks were the victims of violence. In the 1960s and after, Black people were the ones rioting.
Nobody has to trust or even like anyone. However, what we can't do is rob and/or hurt other people. There's no justification for that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2022, 05:40 PM

73,007 posts, read 62,585,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john3232 View Post
Nobody has to trust or even like anyone. However, what we can't do is rob and/or hurt other people. There's no justification for that.
Well, American history shows that many people, not just Black people, aren't capable of not hurting one another. The links I posted, there was a reason I talked about everything else in that post.

Old 08-07-2022, 05:48 PM

8,224 posts, read 3,488,380 times
Quote:
Such youths are very dangerous and completely out of control. What they (13-16 years old) need is to be removed from society and placed into a military-style boot camp run largely by men. Here they might learn discipline and get some schooling.
It would just teach them how to hide themselves better and turn them into even more dangerous threats.

Old 08-07-2022, 05:53 PM

14,968 posts, read 9,804,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Heck, if I lived to my 80s, I don't think I would be too cowardly of taking a chance on getting covid. As it is now, I've lived to my 60s and came down with covid twice. Both times I was not anywhere near death from it. Having strep throat before was more agonizing to go through. If I advance to my 70s and 80s, I just might buy a gun to use to defend myself against young murderous idiots.
Do it now while your train your muscles memory/response. Remember when seconds count the police are just minutes away.

Old 08-07-2022, 05:55 PM

8,224 posts, read 3,488,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfricanSunset View Post
Automatic life sentences for all these thugs involved. No option for parole.

I also favor them beaten to the extent this old lady was on their 1st day as part of their punishment. Deny them medical treatment. Record it and send it to her so she can rewatch them getting their puny butt’s beaten !
I seriously doubt that the lady wants to watch such things.

Old 08-07-2022, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yspobo View Post
It would just teach them how to hide themselves better and turn them into even more dangerous threats.
Do you have any better ideas?

Old 08-07-2022, 06:27 PM

13,709 posts, read 7,987,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner;63925213[B
]Well, American history shows that many people, not just Black people, aren't capable of not hurting one another. The links I posted, there was a reason I talked about everything else in that post.
That might be true. However, with regard to Black on Asian crime the reason we're discussing this is because such crimes are now caught on camera. However, these crimes aren't new. They've been going on in a city like SF for decades. As to why a Asian man or woman might suddenly find themselves punched while walking down a city street I'd suggest resentment is the #1 offender.

When Willie Brown was mayor of SF there was an incident on a city bus where a Black man beat an older Asian man. Sent him to the hospital. The Black man claimed the Asian called him the n-word. Problem is the Asian didn't speak any English. Willie Brown called what happened a "cultural misunderstanding" but that won't work today. Not when there's video footage available.

Old 08-07-2022, 06:33 PM

14,968 posts, read 9,804,055 times
So we blame it on a feeling? not the person? How do you arrest a feeling?

Old 08-07-2022, 06:36 PM

1,521 posts, read 1,816,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
Yes, I remember The (Chinese) Triad was just as, if not more so infamous as the Italian mafia in the 90’s-early 2000’s. I’m sure they are around to some degree now, but they definitely aren’t as large or powerful as they were decades ago. Similar to the Italian mafia, the older generation was running them, and now that they’ve started to age out, there isn’t a younger generation to keep it going.

Recently found a youtube talking about old triad stories from NYC's Chinatown.

This new video has a former Ghost Shadows member (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ghost_Shadows) brainstorming who killed his Dad, who was a hustler in Chinatown and did business with the Ghost Shadows leader who later took care of his son, the interviewee.

His dad's demise was when he planned an inside robbery on $150k+ worth of seafood goods (valued at $1MM today) and his own jewelry, to make it look real, but was seen with the same jewelry a few days later. His poor explanation was "He had friends to get it back for him". A hit was later put on him and a Flying Dragons member (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flying_Dragons_(gang)) who was known to drive a yellow taxi shot him 6 times, killing him.

I don't know why this stuff is interesting, haha.

Old 08-07-2022, 06:42 PM

Quote:
That might be true. However, with regard to Black on Asian crime the reason we're discussing this is because such crimes are now caught on camera. However, these crimes aren't new. They've been going on in a city like SF for decades. As to why a Asian man or woman might suddenly find themselves punched while walking down a city street I'd suggest resentment is the #1 offender.

When Willie Brown was mayor of SF there was an incident on a city bus where a Black man beat an older Asian man. Sent him to the hospital. The Black man claimed the Asian called him the n-word. Problem is the Asian didn't speak any English. Willie Brown called what happened a "cultural misunderstanding" but that won't work today. Not when there's video footage available.
In this case, I'm looking at this from a historical perspective. Currently, and going back to the 1970s, there is a history of Black on Asian attacks. With that in mind, this is something I think about. I think about the social dynamics between Blacks and immigrants. There has been a long history when it comes to tensions between Blacks and immigrants.

Currently, what we're seeing is resentment towards Asians. And I don't see that resentment ever really going away. There is generally alot of anger and rage in the ghettos. For Black people who have made it into the middle class/upper middle class, they leave and never return to said neighborhood. The resentment has always been there. However, I notice something. It isn't just the resentment. It's the boldness of such attacks. This is the way I think. One might think "Black population in dwindling so we might not want to be so bold. We'll get caught faster". One might think "we're 5% of the population. We keep committing crimes that will be the end of us here". However, based on these videos. This is my theory. The segment of the Black population leaving the Bay Area are those who are regular working people who feel they could do better living elsewhere. My theory is that only the underclass and the rich-rich are staying.

The underclass portion of the Black population are where these attacks are coming from. I don't see a paradigm shift coming because thug culture has been commoditized. Until that ends, underclass violent thug culture will continue to get worse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies