Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2022, 02:26 PM

21,097 posts, read 19,694,480 times

Advertisements

Why would anyone ever pay for a hotel room? Just claim you are homeless and get it for free.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2022, 02:26 PM

43,056 posts, read 18,223,725 times
I hope they do it and kick in room service as well.

Old 08-05-2022, 02:32 PM

3,811 posts, read 4,688,884 times
I feel like one of these days they are just going to have to create some kind of island like "Escape from LA" and move all the homeless people to it that don't want to get their life on track. All the ones that are just on drugs and want to commit crimes will be sent out there. The island will be guarded so nobody can leave or join in.

Old 08-05-2022, 02:34 PM

21,097 posts, read 19,694,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Statz2k10 View Post
I feel like one of these days they are just going to have to create some kind of island like "Escape from LA" and move all the homeless people to it that don't want to get their life on track. All the ones that are just on drugs and want to commit crimes will be sent out there. The island will be guarded so nobody can leave or join in.
The people on Catalina Island request you retract this suggestion.

Old 08-05-2022, 02:37 PM

4,898 posts, read 2,052,348 times
That’s sooooo very “Californian” of an ideal!! What could go wrong with that ideal…. Everything!!

Would I be OK with paying for a hotel room, to only have a drugged up and/or mentally insane person and my family next to me with their stolen shopping cart parked in the hallway or in the common areas? No!!

I’m sure Pelosi, Newsom, Schiff and all the other elected officials have plenty of extra room in their mansions within all those exclusive gated communities.

I have always loved how politicians and the rich are quick to offer up other people’s property in the name of social justice, while ensuring that they have more police to protect them and their property!!

And honestly, I was thinking of taking a 4-5 day trip to LA to see the sites…. Will not if this happens since I only want small portion the safety that politicians and the rich demand for themselves.

Old 08-05-2022, 02:39 PM

5,044 posts, read 2,395,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
Wow, so if a hotel or motel has vacancies, the Los Angeles city council wants to force hotels to take in the homeless.

Why don't they just offer very high quality tents with surplus beans, fruits and veggies for the able-bodied homeless

It would be much, much cheaper to spend some those homeless tax dollars on $30 nightly hotel vouchers for every 8 hours of work, so after a full weeks work someone could get $150 to choose a motel, rooming house, hostel or hotel close to work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2gbuDbRo-w
Didn’t they try some program with tents and it ended up being millions of dollars for a couple hundred tents?

https://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/...camps-76267373

Old 08-05-2022, 02:49 PM

16,548 posts, read 8,584,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
Los Angeles should close much of Elysian and Griffith Park and put tiny homes, much of those parks are hardly used anyway.

For $25,000,000 they could house everyone who agrees to not use drugs or drink alcohol immediately by buying sheds and upscale tents with nice air mattresses.

Other than the zoo and observatory, those two parks are massive and could be used to house the homeless and they could be close to city services, jobs, health care and not right in the middle of family neighborhoods.

They could also close the parks hardly anyone uses in the San Fernando Valley and put in tiny homes and sheds and house everyone immediately.
How do you get drug addicts and booze hounds to give up their addictions just to live in a hotel or tents with air mattresses?
Plus the homeless go where they want, when they want, and do what they want, hence the reason many will not stay in existing shelters.

Old 08-05-2022, 02:52 PM

291 posts, read 159,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
Lack of housing isn't really the problem for a lot of these homeless people, especially the ones you see acting in antisocial ways, such as taking dumps on the sidewalk. The main problem is that some people are simply not wired to live in a regular society, for whatever reason. Give them a place to live and they'll trash it, or burn it, or abandon it. They just don't function normally, home or no home.
Bingo. To pretend like the majority of homeless just need some help to get on their feet is naive and is making the problem worse. While there are some who have just had bad luck (and deserve help), the majority of the homeless are just people who are mentally ill and are addicts.

Old 08-05-2022, 02:59 PM

5,117 posts, read 2,159,880 times
And who will foot the bill to get rid of all the lice and bedbugs?

Old 08-05-2022, 03:11 PM

24,461 posts, read 17,203,514 times
Imagine renting a room that had a homeless dude sleeping in it the night before?? and they are now telling us that we can catch Monkey Pox with dirty sheets!

What they should be doing with the homeless is putting them to work. Build a camp and get them to clear out the dead and dry under brush that burns so easily in the wild fires. During the Great Depression the Gov. put out of work men to work doing this to prevent them from becoming bums and criminals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies