Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2022, 12:32 PM

10,233 posts, read 6,319,495 times

Advertisements

To the OP. This kind of law would be unenforceable. Stop every female of childbearing age to show a negative pregnancy test when leaving the state? Same as my previous post about PA and NJ with liquor.

People commute to other states for work every day as well. Oh, we decided to stay in Chicago from Indiana overnight from our jobs. Prove you didn't go to a doctor there for a chemical abortion?

States cannot enforce their laws on other states. Hello, states rights.

Old 08-06-2022, 12:40 PM

18,739 posts, read 7,606,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freesponge View Post
If you Leave a red state you are not in their jurisdiction you are subject to other state and Federal laws

But If there’s solid evidence that a person is planning to abort their baby and then fleeing the state then “attempt to commit a crime” might fall in the red state’s jurisdiction or not? If they were caught driving out with abortion papers and pulled over before leaving the state?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
Do you mean, should the government have the power to stop every vehicle at the state line, at every border crossing no matter how obscure, check to see if there are any women in the car/bus/truck/train/plane, give them pregnancy tests whether they want them or not, and interrogate them (possibly for hours if they are uncooperative) to find out if they are on their way to get an abortion in the neighboring state?

Why do you suggest this should possibly be done?
Looks like the OP abandoned his own thread, shortly after this reply was posted, without answering any of the questions. He hasn't been heard from here since.

Course, quite a few replies have been posted, no way of knowing if this one was the one that frightened him off.

Old 08-06-2022, 12:59 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,599,374 times
Is this dynamic even being suggested to be turned into a law?????

I support states-rights >>>>>> so a person can do in state-a legally what is illegal in state-b, including getting an abortion.

Old 08-06-2022, 02:32 PM

35,699 posts, read 21,054,375 times
We are not making this up. You can or not accept the Hill or Poynter reporting, but go research yourself from those states news papers. It may not fly- but the fact it’s introduced at all tell you of the control issue these folks have.

In Missouri, a bill is pending that would enforce abortion restrictions through civil lawsuits if the abortion is administered outside the state. https://www.poynter.org/fact-checkin...t-an-abortion/

The Texas Freedom Caucus, a group of 11 far-right state lawmakers, plan to introduce legislation that would make it a felony for employers to pay for workers to obtain an abortion in a state where it’s legal or reimburse travel expenses. The group announced its proposal last week in a pugnacious letter to the Dallas office of the powerhouse law firm Sidley Austin.
The group said its legislative proposal would also contain a bounty-style enforcement mechanism — based on Texas’s six-week abortion ban, S.B. 8 — that would incentivize private citizens to bring civil lawsuits against those suspected of helping to facilitate an out-of-state abortion for a Texas resident.
https://thehill.com/regulation/35583...-abortion/amp/

Old 08-06-2022, 02:35 PM

3,098 posts, read 3,785,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freesponge View Post
If you Leave a red state you are not in their jurisdiction you are subject to other state and Federal laws

But If there’s solid evidence that a person is planning to abort their baby and then fleeing the state then “attempt to commit a crime” might fall in the red state’s jurisdiction or not? If they were caught driving out with abortion papers and pulled over before leaving the state?
Of course the government should impose the religious beliefs of the GOP base on all Americans

Old 08-06-2022, 03:12 PM

20,330 posts, read 19,925,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armourereric View Post
I am a very conservative Republican, if I live in state A, and abortion is illegal, and you go to state B to have a legal abortion. I have no problem with that. Do we believe in the 10 the amendment or not?
This. /thread

Old 08-06-2022, 03:31 PM

7,685 posts, read 13,142,943 times
Quote:
I am a very conservative Republican, if I live in state A, and abortion is illegal, and you go to state B to have a legal abortion. I have no problem with that. Do we believe in the 10 the amendment or not?
I agree, but especially if they pay for it all out of their own pockets and NOT taxpayers money.

Old 08-06-2022, 03:48 PM

18,739 posts, read 7,606,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
We are not making this up. You can or not accept the Hill or Poynter reporting, but go research yourself from those states news papers. It may not fly- but the fact it’s introduced at all tell you of the control issue these folks have.

In Missouri, a bill is pending that would enforce abortion restrictions through civil lawsuits if the abortion is administered outside the state. https://www.poynter.org/fact-checkin...t-an-abortion/

The Texas Freedom Caucus, a group of 11 far-right state lawmakers, plan to introduce legislation that would make it a felony for employers to pay for workers to obtain an abortion in a state where it’s legal or reimburse travel expenses. The group announced its proposal last week in a pugnacious letter to the Dallas office of the powerhouse law firm Sidley Austin.
The group said its legislative proposal would also contain a bounty-style enforcement mechanism — based on Texas’s six-week abortion ban, S.B. 8 — that would incentivize private citizens to bring civil lawsuits against those suspected of helping to facilitate an out-of-state abortion for a Texas resident.
I believe these things will be found unconstitutional by the present Supreme Court if/when they get case(s) that bring up the issues, since they have tended to rule according to the Constitution come hell or high water. Have to wait and see I guess.

BTW, the state of California charges its subjects state income tax even on money they earn outside the state (say, if you live in Calif but own a building outside the state that you are renting out). Similarly unconstitutional? I don't know. Yet.

Old 08-06-2022, 05:09 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,157,110 times
Quote:
Thank you. Exactly. Americans are subjects of the state they live in, they are residents of it. The only thing the state can dictate is what actions are allowed to occur in their state boundaries, not what the people in that state may or may not do in general.

Old 08-06-2022, 05:10 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,157,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post

I expect these laws to be overturned as unconstitutional. If they actually are passed into law, that is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies