Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2022, 01:36 PM

39,228 posts, read 27,603,964 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post

And why shouldn't they be given that safe environment in their home state?
Did i say they shouldn't?

Old 08-05-2022, 01:46 PM

2,007 posts, read 865,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freesponge View Post
If you Leave a red state you are not in their jurisdiction you are subject to other state and Federal laws

But If there’s solid evidence that a person is planning to abort their baby and then fleeing the state then “attempt to commit a crime” might fall in the red state’s jurisdiction or not? If they were caught driving out with abortion papers and pulled over before leaving the state?
Omg. It sure is get'n crazy or crazier around here.

Old 08-05-2022, 01:48 PM

18,160 posts, read 15,628,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
We shall have to leave the radicals out. The looters, the mass shooters and so forth. As terrible and detrimental they can be, they are small in number in the big picture. The bigger picture are people like me who are angry, but will use the power of the tongue and the vote.
This is about laws and reactions or responses to those laws. However - it was noted that 1/4 of Repubs thought we would end up with a civil war or that violence would be a deciding factor. Gun sales are up and whose buying ?

The level of distrust among Republicans evident in the survey was such that about 8 in 10 said the current political system is "stacked against conservatives and people with traditional values." A majority agreed with the statement: "The traditional American way of life is disappearing so fast that we may have to use force to save it."

https://www.npr.org/2021/02/11/96649...may-be-necessa
mmmm. Yeah. NPR THERE'S an objective non partisan opinion. In fact NPR which uses public funds to disseminate progressive leftist propaganda stands out as an example of just how the current "system" is in fact stacked against traditional conservative values. That being said I am indeed a conservative. Used to consider myself a moderate until leftist attacks on all things conservative no matter how small forced me to pick a side.

There is no such thing as a moderate anymore. Except in the minds of people like me. I'm not and have not been a Republican for over 3 decades now. Nor am I a Democrat. The extremist fervor that both the left and right cultivate with issues such as abortion sours my stomach. That being said scenerios such as the OP postulates are just wacked. Conservatives are NOT going to stand for infringements upon our right to travel freely across state lines in such a way as is suggested. Your papers please. What is your business for crossing from NV to CA. Or whatever states we may want to travel to and from.

Please exit your vehicle and open all compartments. We have to search for "abortion papers." Whatever those are. Every doctor I've ever seen for any reason I've never had to bring papers with me. As for troopers with some sort of brazard on their arm looking for private medical papers from anywhere detailing a medically related treatment or procedure doesn't HIPPA cover that? In order to accomplish what the OP is suggesting is ludicrously complicated. And no, not even evil dastardly conservatives who own firearms would stand for it.

Each side of the abortion debate is claiming the other is looking to impose its will on everyone via state power. The left says it's a theocratic system based on some strange dystopian sci fi novel made into TV the right wants. The right claims it's a state debauchery of weird sexual proclivities abortion used as birth control run by daffy women and trans sexual men who like to smear fake blood between their legs and parade up and down in front of the homes of any who don't agree with them the left wants.

The radicals have to be factored in. No way around it. They are the ones controlling the narrative. You say you're angry. Welcome to the club. Ain't it fun though? I own guns. Always have always will. The hard part is if anything either side of the debate says is true who will I point them at? So I came to a simple answer. This here dirt is mine and my home. All of you just leave us be. Them's that don't listen woe unto them.

Old 08-05-2022, 01:52 PM

29,486 posts, read 14,650,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
It adds up. Do the math.

Why would you assume the "tough financial situation" preceded the pregnancy?

You really haven't been paying attention, have you?

It adds up. Do the math.
Prove it. 61% of the population supports choice. So, why is this such a huge issue ? The minority isn't going to win out.
"Today, a 61% majority of U.S. adults say abortion should be legal in all or most cases,"
https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tan...-most-cases-2/

Why would you assume the "tough financial situation" preceded the pregnancy?
And why would you assume it didn't ? Either way, people should have a bit of personal accountability.
Accidents do happen, I get it, that is why I am pro choice, although a little responsibility goes along way.
Especially if one is in tough times, or a sketchy relationship or marriage.

You really haven't been paying attention, have you?
Please explain. It seems like you haven't paid attention. The power is now in the hands of the people, not 9 people that you didn't vote in. Did you forget that the law makers in your state work for you ? If this is such a huge deal like you claim it to be, change will be made in the voting booth. The people making the laws will be voted out. Right ?

Last edited by scarabchuck; 08-05-2022 at 02:08 PM..

Old 08-05-2022, 01:54 PM

37,971 posts, read 22,151,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
True, so people need to quit voting for Republicans who have indicated they want all or most abortion banned. Many would support an extreme abortion ban that would expect women dealing with difficult pregnancies killing them to be directed to a hospice, so their final days can be made comfortable. You know who those Republicans are when they advertise that they are 100% pro-life with no exceptions. What a crying out loud red flag! When making anti-abortion laws they will listen to anti-abortion fanatics, not actual doctors.

Republicans running for Congress likely support a federal law or constitutional amendment to ban all or most abortions at the national level to respond to states that don't want to ban abortion.
I think we will see Republicans loose in state elections, if they promise voters they will attempt to ban all abortions, yup. Just like we will see dems lose if they run on a promise to allow late term abortions. People do not want extremists making the laws.

Old 08-05-2022, 01:56 PM

12,980 posts, read 9,501,161 times
Quote:
If you Leave a red state you are not in their jurisdiction you are subject to other state and Federal laws

But If there’s solid evidence that a person is planning to abort their baby and then fleeing the state then “attempt to commit a crime” might fall in the red state’s jurisdiction or not? If they were caught driving out with abortion papers and pulled over before leaving the state?
No, it should not be illegal.

IMO, abortion after a certain time period is murder. What that time period is I don't know. Maybe 16 weeks? That seems to be what many states have set. But it's certainly not right before a child is born.

Old 08-05-2022, 02:00 PM

9,094 posts, read 6,317,546 times
Quote:

Are people owned by the state where they happened to setup their legal address? State laws stop at the state border and it would be a violation of constitutional rights to barr someone for travelling across state lines.

Last edited by AtkinsonDan; 08-05-2022 at 02:12 PM..

Old 08-06-2022, 08:43 AM

2,007 posts, read 865,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtkinsonDan View Post
Are people owned by the state where they happened to setup their legal address? State laws stop at the state border and it would be a violation of constitutional rights to barr someone for travelling across state lines.
Exactly. A person's moral values have no jurisdiction over someone else's personal business. Sounds like the old "Show me your papers" Nazis of World War 2.

Old 08-06-2022, 11:18 AM

13,388 posts, read 6,440,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
I think we will see Republicans loose in state elections, if they promise voters they will attempt to ban all abortions, yup. Just like we will see dems lose if they run on a promise to allow late term abortions. People do not want extremists making the laws.
In general, I agree; but, late term abortions will not be as off putting as bans because most people realize that late term abortions are done due to some devasting fetal anomaly incompatible with life or any semblance of life.

Old 08-06-2022, 12:15 PM

10,232 posts, read 6,319,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl_G View Post
Nope, slippery slope there.

Make this illegal and soon it will be illegal to cross state lines and buy an extended magazine or a certain type of Federally legal weapon from another state.

Or a state could ban the purchase of non-electric vehicles and lock you up for driving across state lines to buy a V-8 Ford Mustang.
During the pandemic PA Governor banned the sale of alcohol for Thanksgiving. "Risky behavior" drinking and spreading covid. What to do? Hey, Charlie, you making a booze run to Jersey? Get me a couple of bottles of Johnny Walker! NJ made some tax money on that one.

Women won't go to neighboring states for abortion where it is legal? Same as was done leaving PA to buy booze in a neighboring state for Thanksgiving. People will do what they have to do for what they want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies