Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2022, 06:46 AM

408 posts, read 288,752 times

Advertisements

If you Leave a red state you are not in their jurisdiction you are subject to other state and Federal laws

But If there’s solid evidence that a person is planning to abort their baby and then fleeing the state then “attempt to commit a crime” might fall in the red state’s jurisdiction or not? If they were caught driving out with abortion papers and pulled over before leaving the state?

Old 08-05-2022, 06:54 AM

4,563 posts, read 3,381,106 times
I am a very conservative Republican, if I live in state A, and abortion is illegal, and you go to state B to have a legal abortion. I have no problem with that. Do we believe in the 10 the amendment or not?

Old 08-05-2022, 06:58 AM

7,237 posts, read 3,428,593 times
i am a conservative mostly, i don’t think abortion should be illegal or restricted. it’s between you and The Lord in my opinion.

Old 08-05-2022, 06:59 AM

10,993 posts, read 5,686,459 times
No, of course it should not be illegal.

The Supreme Court has ruled that each state governs its own laws on abortion. The constitution does not give the federal government the power to restrict out of state residents from acquring services in a a different state.

This would be like saying the government should not allow you to gamble in Nevada unless you live there, or saying you can't buy legal marijuana and smoke it in California because you don't live there, or saying a 19-year old can't buy beer and drink it in South Dakota because he has to be 21 years old in his state of residence.

When you are in a state, you are subject to the laws of those states, period.

Don't even get me started about the end run they did on buying guns out of state, by contorting the 14th Amendment "commerce clause".

1,739 posts, read 868,250 times
No it should not be illegal. Most states already don't care what other states are doing. If you cross over from Massachusetts to NH every week to buy your tobacco products, groceries, alcohol and do your Christmas shopping, technically you are suppose to still pay sales taxes to Massachusetts for your purchases but no one does - including the politicians. And NH takes full advantage of it by putting state run liquors stores right over the border in NH to get tourists and other coming and going. It's probably also one of the few states that has a liquor store in the airport post-security to get those last dollars as they leave the state.

Not to mention people cross over state lines for medical treatment everyday and no one cares. We also live in a country with illegal search laws so how would the police see your "abortion papers" whatever those are??

9,417 posts, read 4,261,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freesponge View Post
If you Leave a red state you are not in their jurisdiction you are subject to other state and Federal laws

But If there’s solid evidence that a person is planning to abort their baby and then fleeing the state then “attempt to commit a crime” might fall in the red state’s jurisdiction or not? If they were caught driving out with abortion papers and pulled over before leaving the state?
Of course not. If you leave ANY state (red or blue) your are not in their jurisdiction and are subject to the laws of the destination state. It's always been this way. Why do you think it's changing? Do you understand that overturning Roe V Wade solidified this concept? It's precisely why scuttling Roe V Wade was the right decision for both anti and pro-abortion folks.

Old 08-05-2022, 07:02 AM

10,993 posts, read 5,686,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristinas_Cap View Post
i am a conservative mostly, i don’t think abortion should be illegal or restricted. it’s between you and The Lord in my opinion.
But that wasn't the question. It was a specific question regarding interstate law. Should your state laws follow you to other states? No, they should not.

Old 08-05-2022, 07:04 AM

408 posts, read 288,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
No, of course it should not be illegal.

The Supreme Court has ruled that each state governs its own laws on abortion. The constitution does not give the federal government the power to restrict out of state residents from acquring services in a a different state.

This would be like saying the government should not allow you to gamble in Nevada unless you live there, or saying you can't buy legal marijuana and smoke it in California because you don't live there, or saying a 19-year old can't buy beer and drink it in South Dakota because he has to be 21 years old in his state of residence.

When you are in a state, you are subject to the laws of those states, period.

Don't even get me started on the bastardization of of the 14th Amendment "commerce clause" to prohibit buying a gun in a state you don't live in. That is a terrible unconstitutional infringement but the courts have ruled for it, so we are screwed there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by YourWakeUpCall View Post
Of course not. If you leave ANY state (red or blue) your are not in their jurisdiction and are subject to the laws of the destination state. It's always been this way. Why do you think it's changing? Do you understand that overturning Roe V Wade solidified this concept? It's precisely why scuttling Roe V Wade was the right decision for both anti and pro-abortion folks.
Yes I do now .. it’s opposite of mandate

Old 08-05-2022, 07:05 AM

6,240 posts, read 2,614,653 times
It's legal in State B. If the person gets an Abortion in that state no Crime is being committed.

State A has no say.

Old 08-05-2022, 07:07 AM

1,987 posts, read 1,279,423 times
Is it illegal to leave a state if someone thinks you're leaving to do gambling n the other state?
For example, Nevada.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies