Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2022, 08:44 PM

57,227 posts, read 26,172,300 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
No, your link is from 2017

Republicans had a 30 seat majority in the House and what, a 4 seat majority in the senate.

cant blame "partisanship" on that one.
The Tax Reform act in 2017 should have addressed carried interest, it was never in the bill. Republicans passed the bill on the senate and house, get your facts straight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2022, 08:44 PM

13,602 posts, read 4,926,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YourWakeUpCall View Post
Hard to believe, but even a stopped clock is right twice per day.

One aspect of their proposed spending bill (the so called "Inflation Reduction Act"), which is looking more and more like a reality, is revising the way carried interest is taxed.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/con...te-p-rcna41675

The rest of the bill is, for the most part, typical Dem nonsense. I'm no expert on carried interest, but taxing the fees hedge fund managers charge to manage someone else's money as regular income instead of capital gains makes perfect sense to me.

Thoughts?

EDIT 9:33am 8/5/22: I misread the article. The Carried Income loophole has been removed from the bill. As such, this thread is meaningless. Mods, please delete this thread if possible.
Interesting. So Sinema says she will support the bill as long as they allow wealthy hedge fund managers to continue dodging taxes?

Old 08-05-2022, 09:14 PM

18,717 posts, read 7,597,559 times
Are Democrats about to get something right?

Sinema may be about to vote NO on the "Inflation Increase Bill", scuttling it completely. If/when she does, the Democrats will have finally gotten something right.

Old 08-05-2022, 09:21 PM

78,331 posts, read 60,527,398 times
Quote:

One aspect of their proposed spending bill (the so called "Inflation Reduction Act"), which is looking more and more like a reality, is revising the way carried interest is taxed.

The rest of the bill is, for the most part, typical Dem nonsense. I'm no expert on carried interest, but taxing the fees hedge fund managers charge to manage someone else's money as regular income instead of capital gains makes perfect sense to me.

Thoughts?

EDIT 9:33am 8/5/22: I misread the article. The Carried Income loophole has been removed from the bill. As such, this thread is meaningless. Mods, please delete this thread if possible.
No, mods please leave this thread active. It's extremely illuminating to those that don't like the reality, maybe they'll learn something?

Old 08-05-2022, 11:07 PM

39,857 posts, read 26,482,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
Well the Dems have to start playing Robin hood, taking from those that do to give hand outs to those that cannot or refuse to...

Don't forget we are on track to have 2 million New Americans this year alone and it is not cheap to house, clothe, feed, give healthcare to and educate them. Someone has to pay for all that.

I don't know but increasing taxes is not something I consider to be "right".
Might want to watch the movie more carefully. Robin Hood took money from the government, specifically from the tax collectors, and returned it to the producers. The Dems are no "Robin Hoods", they are the Sheriffs of Nottingham.

Old 08-06-2022, 12:09 AM

27,119 posts, read 15,300,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
Well the Dems have to start playing Robin hood, taking from those that do to give hand outs to those that cannot or refuse to...

Don't forget we are on track to have 2 million New Americans this year alone and it is not cheap to house, clothe, feed, give healthcare to and educate them. Someone has to pay for all that.

I don't know but increasing taxes is not something I consider to be "right".
We will one day reach the point of there is nothing left to take.

Old 08-06-2022, 07:08 AM
Status: "Apparently the worst poster on CD" (set 21 days ago)

27,631 posts, read 16,115,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Might want to watch the movie more carefully. Robin Hood took money from the government, specifically from the tax collectors, and returned it to the producers. The Dems are no "Robin Hoods", they are the Sheriffs of Nottingham.
Thank you. I cant tell you how many people get this wrong.

Old 08-06-2022, 07:12 AM

5,632 posts, read 1,767,186 times
As with any bill either side passes, the issues are as follows.

1) Follow the money. Allotting money for any particular cause is not the same thing as making sure those monies are used properly and efficiently. Nobody ever seems to understand this.

2) It's the small print details that no one pays attention to in any of these bills. That's where the bad stuff is located.

3) All the other pork and nonsense added into bills, which have nothing to do with what they claim the bill is about.

Old 08-06-2022, 07:36 AM

25,689 posts, read 18,773,845 times
Quote:
Are Democrats about to get something right?

No. Impossible. Error in perpetuity is hardwired into their DNA.

Old 08-06-2022, 09:41 AM

17,441 posts, read 9,261,206 times
Quote:

Thoughts?

Actually, the fact that Schumer took it out AND that we all learned Sinema’s price for her Vote is pretty darn meaningful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Nope. They took it out. Sinema did not like it. They are going to tax stock buybacks instead. That will lead to more revenue but not address the shameful inequity.
She got a couple of other things also— Manchin only got to keep his Chairmanship.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Hedge fund managers were the beneficiaries of carried interest, they can buy more private jets.
Good to know the Democrats are voting in Favor of that massive Tax Break for their Campaign Donors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies