Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2022, 02:32 PM

8,609 posts, read 2,308,232 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by YourWakeUpCall View Post
Hard to believe, but even a stopped clock is right twice per day.

One aspect of their proposed spending bill (the so called "Inflation Reduction Act"), which is looking more and more like a reality, is revising the way carried interest is taxed.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/con...te-p-rcna41675

The rest of the bill is, for the most part, typical Dem nonsense. I'm no expert on carried interest, but taxing the fees hedge fund managers charge to manage someone else's money as regular income instead of capital gains makes perfect sense to me.

Thoughts?

EDIT 9:33am 8/5/22: I misread the article. The Carried Income loophole has been removed from the bill. As such, this thread is meaningless. Mods, please delete this thread if possible.
first, if you want a mod's attention, you hit the red triangle on the top right and report yourself. I don't know why so many seem to think a moderator reads every thread or post.

Second, it probably belongs in the Sinema thread, because her objection is why carried interest was removed.

Which is also interesting, because she got her way but more importantly Manchin declared it HAD TO be in there if he was going to support.

Now, whether the Republicans can get these sound bites posted to the news instead of snippets of "mean Republicans!" then I guess we'll see.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2022, 02:41 PM

8,609 posts, read 2,308,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
That might be a good thing though. Some of these companies bought back billions in stock with PPP loan money.
if you could please provide the name of even 1 publicly-traded company that obtained a Paycheck Protection Program loan and used it to buyback stock, we would all be the wiser.

I mean, I am 99.99% certain you can't.

Shake Shack got a loan, but repaid it quickly because of the backlash.

AutoNation did the same.

After that, the largest traded companies had market caps well under $1B.

Old 08-06-2022, 04:14 PM

25,732 posts, read 12,808,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesjuke View Post
We will one day reach the point of there is nothing left to take.
We are halfway there...gov't now spends ~50% of all we make, and it's growing so fast, our economy could implode in some of our lifetimes

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Govern...ending_GDP.png

Does anyone here believe they will stop before they bankrupt us all?

Old 08-06-2022, 04:21 PM

21,932 posts, read 9,498,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
That might be a good thing though. Some of these companies bought back billions in stock with PPP loan money.
Yeah, no they didn't.

Old 08-06-2022, 04:22 PM

13,284 posts, read 8,452,873 times
Recap of areas of history where democrats
Influenced, signed, implemented change ' for the citizens'.
https://www.civicsnation.org/2018/07...complishments/

So go chew on those important pieces of legislative and executive orders that helped the nation. Not just some sector like the Republicans do.

Unless you don't like civil rights, or peace treaties.

Old 08-06-2022, 04:22 PM

18,739 posts, read 7,606,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Might want to watch the movie more carefully. Robin Hood took money from the government, specifically from the tax collectors, and returned it to the producers. The Dems are no "Robin Hoods", they are the Sheriffs of Nottingham.
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltine View Post
Thank you. I cant tell you how many people get this wrong.
Mmm hmm.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/poli...l#post60925230

https://www.city-data.com/forum/poli...l#post58745843

https://www.city-data.com/forum/poli...l#post54822766

https://www.city-data.com/forum/poli...l#post54776936

Old 08-06-2022, 04:41 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 22 days ago)

29,551 posts, read 16,539,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
Yeah, no they didn't.
If you understand that giving say an abortion clinic a 100K grant for breast cancer screening means that the clinic can then use their other saved funds for abortion care, then you also understand that giving a company 500 million in PPP loans/grants means they can then spend 500 million they had saved for employee payroll on stock buy backs

this really isnt hard to understand.

Old 08-06-2022, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyebee Teepee View Post
if you could please provide the name of even 1 publicly-traded company that obtained a Paycheck Protection Program loan and used it to buyback stock, we would all be the wiser.

I mean, I am 99.99% certain you can't.

Shake Shack got a loan, but repaid it quickly because of the backlash.

AutoNation did the same.

After that, the largest traded companies had market caps well under $1B.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/busin...cks-ppp-loans/

Quote:
Publicly traded firms paid dividends, bought their own stock after receiving PPP loans to pay employees
This wasnt some secret conspiracy or something i just thought up. it was widely reported by major news outlets .

At this point im genuinely curious as to how multiple posters on this forum who have been here for years dont know about this ? Im sure there were threads on this issue that yall even posted in.

Old 08-06-2022, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
The Tax Reform act in 2017 should have addressed carried interest, it was never in the bill. Republicans passed the bill on the senate and house, get your facts straight.
i think you replied to the wrong person.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies