Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2022, 03:28 AM

4,902 posts, read 2,056,126 times

Advertisements

Well, the planet would be watching, along with our Asian and European allies if American can keep its word or even be trusted.

Japan has already stated that a Chinese invasion of Taiwan would cause a Japanese response. Honestly, Japan is rearming at a moderate pace and the last think I want to see is the Japanese hitting warp 5 in rearming, which would include their own nuclear weapons. I’m sure India and Australia, who have independent agreements with Japan, wouldn’t be sitting on their hands either.

Plus, if you think the supply chain issues are bad now, you just wait to see how much worse it will get when or if China invades Taiwan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2022, 03:46 AM

6,104 posts, read 3,341,443 times
I would be much more willing to defend Taiwan than I am Ukraine.

With that said, we need to be more self efficient as a country. If the grain stops moving in Ukraine, or the chips stop getting produced in Taiwan, that should not matter to us.

We need to bring all manufacturing home, and we need to greatly reduce imports to no more than what we export.

Of course, the elite wouldn’t like that, so we are stuck being beholden to foreign countries so the elite can continue enriching themselves.

Old 08-06-2022, 03:59 AM

15,945 posts, read 12,285,067 times
We're a dying empire ourselves. China was alright but not under the rule of Xi.. someone needs to take him out. Basically, invading Taiwan is World War 3, and I support it. I would be more inclined to defend Taiwan vs Ukraine.

https://thehill.com/opinion/internat...he-upper-hand/

Some think Pelosi was only in Taiwan to distract from his husband's DUI case.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/pol...case-rcna41390

Old 08-06-2022, 04:07 AM

16 posts, read 4,156 times
China insists that Taiwan is part of its country. But Taiwan is self-governing and its leaders reject Beijing’s claim of sovereignty, meaning that political control of the island is disputed.

Old 08-06-2022, 05:43 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 1 day ago)

27,166 posts, read 13,455,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riffwraith View Post
Hi

If China invades Taiwan, should the USA get involved? What do we have to lose - what does the world have to lose, if Twn falls under China rule? Should we try and stop China, or should we let it go?

Genuinely curious about this...
The US policy is to just supply Taiwan with weapons.

There is no US commitment in terms of defending Taiwan.

Pelosi's visit was pointless and her grand standing has just resulted in less cooperation with China in areas such as Climate Change and in terms of numerous legal areas.

Old 08-06-2022, 05:51 AM

39,078 posts, read 51,224,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WK91 View Post

With that said, we need to be more self efficient as a country. If the grain stops moving in Ukraine, or the chips stop getting produced in Taiwan, that should not matter to us.

We need to bring all manufacturing home, and we need to greatly reduce imports to no more than what we export.

Of course, the elite wouldn’t like that, so we are stuck being beholden to foreign countries so the elite can continue enriching themselves.
We don't have the labor to bring all manufacturing home (not to mention the raw materials). Millions of people around the planet are employed in producing raw materials, goods and services for consumption in the US. We would have to bring the workers along with the work and Americans are never going to accept that.

The other alternative is not to consume so much, make do with less, live within our means so to speak. I doubt that would find much favor either. So our consumerism, our lust for goods in the absence of enough people to actually produce them makes us dependent on foreign producers like Taiwan and committed to defending them to protect our own interests.

Old 08-06-2022, 08:44 AM

8,918 posts, read 4,649,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
The US policy is to just supply Taiwan with weapons.

There is no US commitment in terms of defending Taiwan.
While I don't know where to look it up, this sounds right to me.

Quote:
Pelosi's visit was pointless and her grand standing has just resulted in less cooperation with China in areas such as Climate Change and in terms of numerous legal areas.
This is great! Or would be, if it were true.
That would entail them curtailing the Maoist indoctrination centers in the MSM and our universities, knocking off the Climate Change propaganda pushed on us from our MSM and Deep State.

I also hear they are going to stop "cooperating" with us on drug trafficking. If that were actually going to make a difference to us, it might mean them curtailing the flow of Fentanyl they are pouring into our country, through our Southern Border.

Bottom line is that lack of cooperation from China is the best thing that could happen to us.

https://freebeacon.com/media/foreign...aganda-outlet/
https://thefederalist.com/2020/05/04...-media-entity/

https://dailycaller.com/2021/04/15/g...ities-leftism/
https://www.theconservativecaucus.or...indoctrination

https://amac.us/china-is-using-fenta...e-experts-say/
https://libertyfirst.org/fentanyl-fr...ar-on-america/

Old 08-06-2022, 11:08 AM

7,511 posts, read 4,352,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
Would Taiwan come to our aid if we were attacked?

There's your answer.
That was a good answer.

Old 08-06-2022, 11:18 AM

7,511 posts, read 4,352,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WK91 View Post

There's the answer right there!!!

Just think before, during, and shortly after World War Two we were the greatest industrial power in the world. Because of that we were able to win the war. Yamamoto knew this and proclaimed after Pearl Harbor that they had "awakened sleeping giant".

Old 08-06-2022, 11:19 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,008,400 times
China will play games with Taiwan but it won't invade.

It just won't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies