Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2022, 09:13 PM

13,601 posts, read 4,932,646 times

Advertisements

Next thing they will ban is dancing, as in Footloose
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2022, 07:45 AM

25,445 posts, read 9,805,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
Sounds perfect — Ban the Bible.
Go for it, it won’t shock anyone at all.
I think you missed my point.

Old 08-07-2022, 08:57 AM

6,073 posts, read 4,752,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I don't know where you live, but our libraries are CROWDED. We have a new central Downtown Library that cost a ton of money, but it is gorgeous and very well-used. And is a popular tourist stop, if you have out of town guests. Even has a garden seed sharing feature, in an old card catalog cabinet. Wonderful.

The smaller branches throughout town are full of patrons. Checking out books, using the free computers, reading in the lounge areas, going to the children's Story Hour, etc.

Again, I don't know where you live but it would be interesting to see what your experience was, if you were to go into a library and check it out.
our city library is within walking distance from me and I've been a half dozen times. I live in a city/town of 26,000 or so people, and I have never once seen more than a dozen people in there. for those keeping score at home, that's 0.00046 percent of our population. like the post office, it's a legacy service that people have a hard time watching crumble under the pressure of technology.

Old 08-07-2022, 09:03 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,746,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionsgators View Post
our city library is within walking distance from me and I've been a half dozen times. I live in a city/town of 26,000 or so people, and I have never once seen more than a dozen people in there. for those keeping score at home, that's 0.00046 percent of our population. like the post office, it's a legacy service that people have a hard time watching crumble under the pressure of technology.
Ours has become a day shelter for homeless people.

Old 08-07-2022, 09:19 AM

1,884 posts, read 1,002,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
Ours has become a day shelter for homeless people.
I think they might as well turn libraries into a "public resource center" of sorts. That's how everyone uses it, might as well wear those clothes.

Old 08-07-2022, 10:58 AM

31,041 posts, read 22,077,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Hiding books behind the circulation desk hardly amounts to “shoved down your throat”, if you don’t like the books then don’t ask for them.
That's alright you can have all the Trans books in your library. This is their library, they can choose what is appropriate for to them

Old 08-07-2022, 12:24 PM

19,840 posts, read 12,102,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Sounds like paranoid parents fearful that LGBT oriented books will groom their straight kids to become homosexuals and transsexuals.

https://www.theguardian.com/books/20...box=1659706272

Wait…what happened to “live and let live.”?

https://www.city-data.com/forum/63922116-post2.html

“Let California worry about being California. Here in flyover country, I don't care if they want to do things different over there. Live and let live.” - StillwaterTownie

Old 08-07-2022, 12:44 PM

13,284 posts, read 8,455,196 times
Kids rarely use the library resource.
Parents still check out the books for
them.
Most misused word is ' woke'.
It amazes my being how it's morphed to an entirely negative term by some folks. Unable to understand it's original intent.

As was stated early on, the tax budget was such that a determination was being considered to lower funding to the community library. The community budget was being revamped. Unsure how it turned into this topic. Wait, it was a twist the truth and blow it out of proportion group .. that are bent right.

Old 08-07-2022, 02:52 PM

25,445 posts, read 9,805,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
Kids rarely use the library resource.
Parents still check out the books for
them.
Most misused word is ' woke'.
It amazes my being how it's morphed to an entirely negative term by some folks. Unable to understand it's original intent.

As was stated early on, the tax budget was such that a determination was being considered to lower funding to the community library. The community budget was being revamped. Unsure how it turned into this topic. Wait, it was a twist the truth and blow it out of proportion group .. that are bent right.
I've often wondered why the term "woke" has a negative connotation. I would think woke would mean awakened or enlightened.

Old 08-07-2022, 03:18 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,932,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
I've often wondered why the term "woke" has a negative connotation. I would think woke would mean awakened or enlightened.
That's right wing logic for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies