Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2022, 11:41 AM

45,581 posts, read 27,180,466 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
It's not just in the gay community. Children are catching it. Straight people are catching it. Some people are bi, so it's not just going to stay in the gay community. I would be curious to know how many are catching it via casual contact, and not just intimate contact.
Unfortunately children are active sex participants these days... both willingly and unwillingly.

How Does Monkeypox Spread?

To mitigate monkeypox, health experts have long recommended avoiding close contact with infected people and contaminated objects. But amid an unusual global outbreak of the disease, scientists are investigating whether the rare disease is spreading in other ways.

But the current cases don’t all look like traditional monkeypox, and scientists are investigating the unusual ways in which the virus may transmit.

While COVID-19 can linger in the air in tiny aerosolized particles that can travel some distance, monkeypox is mostly spread through direct contact with open wounds, sores, and scabs from the infection. It can also spread via respiratory droplets, which don’t travel far.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2022, 11:46 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,008,400 times
I follow a few 'gay' guys on talk radio and many of them are curbing their activities, abstaining and getting the pox vaccine. Actually it was about two weeks ago listening to someone's podcast and they were casually mentioning how they are feeling like they are avoiding crowds, etc. (It's a guy with two small children so he is making a choice to avoid crowds, especially gay ones). Lots of reference to how can they meet someone if they are avoiding contact. I didn't understand what they were talking about until they menioned monkey pox killing the vibe for the summer.

It is true lots may not heed the warning but I think you'd be surprised how many are worried.

Old 08-06-2022, 11:47 AM

Quote:
It's not just in the gay community. Children are catching it. Straight people are catching it. Some people are bi, so it's not just going to stay in the gay community. I would be curious to know how many are catching it via casual contact, and not just intimate contact.
Yup it is spreading more rapidly in the gay community but of course, like aids, it is spreading outside of those communities.

Don't forget kids spread germs so easily. It is a given that they will share 'spit' with an adult caring for them. They put hands in mouth and then put those hands all over people, etc.

Old 08-06-2022, 11:52 AM

7,357 posts, read 6,526,600 times
Two weeks to flatten the curve.

Old 08-06-2022, 11:52 AM

6,799 posts, read 9,350,606 times
I love how delicately this is worded because there’s more concern about ensuring that folks aren’t offended than concern about being honest. By now we all know that this isn’t a “gay” disease, but that the majority of cases happen to be men who have sex with men. Not sure why the CDC or anyone else wants to tiptoe around this fact.

I’m gay and people I know who aren’t in monogamous relationships are taking this seriously.

At least here in Colorado, since the Biden administration botched this and vaccine supplies are low, they are trying to prioritize certain situations so that those who are most in need of the vaccine can be prioritized. However, one of the criteria is “recent exposure” or “recent anonymous encounter” and I know some people who are lying about that, just so that they can get the vaccine sooner. THAT is unfortunate.

Kind of reminds me of one of my friends who lied to get the COVID vaccine sooner even though there was no reason for it, other than being afraid of COVID.

Luckily, other than being extremely uncomfortable, this is something that people can recover from.

Old 08-06-2022, 11:54 AM

16,911 posts, read 10,589,904 times
A few years ago they came out with “prep” for HIV. It’s taken by people who don’t have HIV but engage in unprotected sex with high risk people (basically gay and bisexual men) to prevent them from getting it. I think this has led to more carelessness in safe sex practices in that group and likely the resurgence of old diseases like monkeypox.
Moderators for US and World Forums

Old 08-06-2022, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboyxjon View Post
I love how delicately this is worded because there’s more concern about ensuring that folks aren’t offended than concern about being honest. By now we all know that this isn’t a “gay” disease, but that the majority of cases happen to be men who have sex with men. Not sure why the CDC or anyone else wants to tiptoe around this fact.

I’m gay and people I know who aren’t in monogamous relationships are taking this seriously.

At least here in Colorado, since the Biden administration botched this and vaccine supplies are low, they are trying to prioritize certain situations so that those who are most in need of the vaccine can be prioritized. However, one of the criteria is “recent exposure” or “recent anonymous encounter” and I know some people who are lying about that, just so that they can get the vaccine sooner. THAT is unfortunate.

Kind of reminds me of one of my friends who lied to get the COVID vaccine sooner even though there was no reason for it, other than being afraid of COVID.

Luckily, other than being extremely uncomfortable, this is something that people can recover from.
I think it has been made very clear that it isn't just a 'gay' disease and that it is being spread more quickly within the gay community because of physical contact -- not just specific sex acts.

Old 08-06-2022, 09:59 PM

3,113 posts, read 938,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
That is how AIDS started. Nobody worried when it was just in the gay community. Then it spilled over to everyone else.

Warnings are good.

Do we need lessons again on how contagious diseases spread? I thought most people understood the concept of contagion by now. At least this disease doesn't spread by breathing on each other.
70% of new HIV cases are in gay men. 20+% are in intravenous drug abusers. HIV has never really spilled in the heterosexual community because it’s not an easily sexually transmitted disease.

Of course, comparing monkeypox to HIV is absurd. HIV supposedly wipes away your immune system (cd4+ cells) over time whereas monkeypox gives you an itch for 2 weeks.

I rather have monkeypox then wear a mask on a 12 hour flight. That’s how little of a deal it is. I doubt gay men care about this given the other STDs that come with their behavior.

Old 08-06-2022, 10:09 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,633,814 times
Quote:
Telling gay people they shouldn't have sex is racist

But in all seriousness, we need to get back to just telling people the truth instead of worrying about how people will react to the truth.
However, conservatives quite strongly believe people should have the right to risk getting sick with covid as much as they see fit without interference from the government requiring vaccines, masks and business shutdowns. I don't see why homosexuals shouldn't believe it should be the same way with them as it applies to Monkeypox. Unlike covid carriers, they have it easier to judge risk from seeing they need to avoid people with all those sores on their bodies.

Last edited by StillwaterTownie; 08-06-2022 at 10:27 PM..

Old 08-06-2022, 10:12 PM

7,685 posts, read 13,141,847 times
CDC = Can't Decide Crap
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies