Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2022, 10:35 AM

2,189 posts, read 1,405,122 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
That is how AIDS started. Nobody worried when it was just in the gay community. Then it spilled over to everyone else.

Warnings are good.

Do we need lessons again on how contagious diseases spread? I thought most people understood the concept of contagion by now. At least this disease doesn't spread by breathing on each other.
Well stated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2022, 10:39 AM

3,113 posts, read 939,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
Good grief. Do some reading.

If HIV is not being passed on via hetero sex, how are pregnant women giving it to their babies? How do you think the pregnant woman caught the HIV virus?

There is no logic in your post
I guess you think the only way to catch HIV is through sex?

IV drug usage is the major one. Some women are HIV+ from birth to the grave without realizing as HIV turning into AIDS happens to only a small percentage even without treatment and after decades regardless.

Vaginal sex is not a mode of transmission of HIV. It’s just incredibly rare for it being transmitted that way.

Old 08-07-2022, 10:43 AM

37,982 posts, read 22,157,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristinas_Cap View Post
the cdc falling short of saying abstinence? you can’t expect the sex crazed crowd to not act on their impulses
The CDC was quick to control the behavior of the entire nation, by recommending locking down the entire US population to "slow the curve." And yet with monkey pox we have a completely effective way to stop this virus, stop sleeping around with strangers, stop engaging in intimate skin-skin exchange of sweat and body fluids. The CSC sure seems to have a problem promoting abstinence, whether it's to prevent pregnancy or to prevent the spread on monkeypox.

Old 08-07-2022, 11:09 AM

15,532 posts, read 10,504,683 times
This is how AIDS started. Back in the day, it was hard to tell the gay crowd anything though. I guess they felt it damped their new found freedoms or something. I lost a friend for telling him I thought he should not have casual sex, he was that furious. Maybe this time it will be different.

Old 08-07-2022, 11:12 AM

16,911 posts, read 10,594,283 times
Recent study stating that 98% of cases are in gay and bisexual men:

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa2207323
Moderators for US and World Forums

Old 08-07-2022, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
This is how AIDS started. Back in the day, it was hard to tell the gay crowd anything though. I guess they felt it damped their new found freedoms or something. I lost a friend for telling him I thought he should not have casual sex, he was that furious. Maybe this time it will be different.
Why do you think he was having casual sex and what does casual sex mean in your book? Maybe he was upset at being stereotyped.

Certainly if someone tried to lecture me about my sex life I’d tell them to mind their own business. Wouldn’t be angry with you but wouldn’t listen to you anyways! Sex is personal, and people have as much of it as they feel they need.

Old 08-07-2022, 12:11 PM

37,109 posts, read 41,277,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfricanSunset View Post
I dug into that article from "Verywell health" to see how they arrived at such a ridiculous figure, and they point me to this: https://www.hiv.gov/hiv-basics/overv...nds/statistics

However, that figure (5,300) is nowhere on that page.

I believe they derived it from this:

36,801 * 0.16 = 5888. Close to 5300.

As you can see, just because ~6,000 heterosexual women come down with HIV doesn't mean it was through vaginal sex. IV drug use, or anal sex would be 1 then 2 after acquiring it from birth.

As to your point that infants won't be grouped into heterosexual/homosexual at birth, that's true. However, infants are born to HIV+ women all the time, who don't know that they're HIV+, and therefore the infant is never tested. They often will live into adulthood (without treatment) before finding out.

Contrary to what the public was made to believe, HIV is not a death sentence. Very few HIV+ cases mature to AIDS, even without treatment. As SubSaharan Africa tells us! In countries like Botswana, something like 40% of adults have HIV+, very few get treatment, and Life Expectancy in Botswana is 78.

In fact, a lot of AIDS drugs actually give you AIDS. It's kind of funny how that works out.
I really do not care if you believe HIV can spread through penile vaginal intercourse or not. It is well established that it can.

https://www.aidsmap.com/about-hiv/va...v-transmission

Testing for HIV is now part of routine prenatal care. Infected women are offered antiretroviral treatment and sometimes Cesarean section to reduce the risk to the newborn. That has reduced the number of infections acquired at birth.

https://www.acog.org/clinical/clinic...-virus-testing

HIV typically advances to AIDS in 8 to 10 years. Treatment prevents that. AIDS meds do not cause AIDS. Where do you get that ridiculous idea?

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-...stic%20cancers.

Botswana's life expectancy, unadjusted for any effect from covid-19, is about 70 years.

https://www.macrotrends.net/countrie...%20from%202020.

Botswana has an intensive HIV/AIDS control program in place for over twenty years.. That includes making treatment available to everyone who is infected.

https://www.un.org/africarenewal/mag...s-assault-aids

Quote:
Just because someone can have asymptomatic monkeypox doesn't mean they can spread monkeypox.

This is just goes to demonstrate my point all along - monkeypox is so mild, it's being confused for HSV, or no symptoms at all.

Thanks for that. But if you meant to say from this there is asymptomatic transmission of monkeypox then you need to re-read your source.
You denied that asymptomatic monkeypox exists. It does.

The study in the link previously given found viral loads in asymptomatic cases was similar to that in symptomatic cases, making asymptomatic spread likely. It's an area of current investigation.

Old 08-07-2022, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Testing for HIV is now part of routine prenatal care.
No one I know who was pregnant were tested for HIV.

Quote:
Botswana has an intensive HIV/AIDS control program in place for over twenty years.. That includes making treatment available to everyone who is infected.
Vast majority are not treated. Have you been to Botswana?

Quote:
You denied that asymptomatic monkeypox exists. It does.
Quote where I said this?

Quote:
The study in the link previously given found viral loads in asymptomatic cases was similar to that in symptomatic cases, making asymptomatic spread likely. It's an area of current investigation.
When it's confirmed, let me know. Now the consensus is you need to be symptomatic.

Old 08-07-2022, 12:31 PM

45,411 posts, read 60,592,880 times
Quote:
No one I know who was pregnant were tested for HIV....

Testing for HIV during pregnancy is pretty standard practice and is "Opt Out" rather "Opt In" which means that it's done unless the patient says no.

https://www.cdc.gov/hiv/group/gender...n/opt-out.html

Old 08-07-2022, 12:55 PM

15,532 posts, read 10,504,683 times
Quote:
Why do you think he was having casual sex and what does casual sex mean in your book? Maybe he was upset at being stereotyped.

Certainly if someone tried to lecture me about my sex life I’d tell them to mind their own business. Wouldn’t be angry with you but wouldn’t listen to you anyways! Sex is personal, and people have as much of it as they feel they need.
I imagine he was having casual sex because it was enjoyable. He was young and didn't have a partner. I didn't lecture him, just told him to be careful. He's dead, died a couple of years later from AIDS. This was early on, not much treatment then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies