Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2022, 09:50 AM

14,968 posts, read 9,810,543 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
From your link....If the president approves a public sale of crude oil from the SPR, it will be sold to the highest bidders in a competitive auction.

The President can't arbitrarily change the procedures set.

The oil was sold to the highest bidders.

A very small percentage was sold to Chinese.

And you are naive if you think the American Oil Producers are not selling overseas. They aren't hoarding supplies for Americans only.

Unless we advocate the USA govt. intervene and set laws controlling the exportation of oil, what do you suggest?
The STATEGIC RESERVE is different from the commodities market. NO OIL SHOULD BE SOLD FROM THE RESERVE... PERIOD!

https://www.lankford.senate.gov/news...erves-to-china
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2022, 09:50 AM

5,742 posts, read 4,699,967 times
Biden on rising gas prices...

"It's Putin's fault. I have no control over gas prices. Not a thing I can do about it. It's not my fault."

Biden on decreasing gas prices...

"I did this! It's because of me and my policies. I get all the credit."

Uh ok.

Old 08-07-2022, 10:06 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
Well still about a $1.75 higher then gas was at the start of Joe' war on fossil fuel (that's a quote) and Diesel has not dropped much at all. Is this the Putin price drop? or is that unfair and Biden should get the credit?

Call me crazy, but I think people are driving less (demand) and that's why gasoline prices are lower and the reason Diesel is still high is because truckers are delivering goods as fast as they can, trying to get the supply chain back in sync.

How do y'all see it?
All POTUS try to take credit/ imply they are responsible when the price of gas declines and deflect when prices increase.

Trump did it in 2020 when the pandemic substantially reduced global demand and Russia and the Saudis got into a price war and pumped like there was no tomorrow. Refineries all over the world were shut down and masses were laid off.

The US trade associations representing producers and refiners have made it clear, producers and refiners are working at capacity. The global market, not the producers and refiners, determine price.

While every POTUS has some influence over the economy, they do not control the economy. If POTUS did, there would never be recessions.

Old 08-07-2022, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
All POTUS try to take credit/ imply they are responsible when the price of gas declines and deflect when prices increase.

Trump did it in 2020 when the pandemic substantially reduced global demand and Russia and the Saudis got into a price war and pumped like there was no tomorrow. Refineries all over the world were shut down and masses were laid off.

The US trade associations representing producers and refiners have made it clear, producers and refiners are working at capacity. The global market, not the producers and refiners, determine price.

While every POTUS has some influence over the economy, they do not control the economy. If POTUS did, there would never be recessions.
Partially true. By this I mean, government ... or in this case the POTUS rarely affects the lowering of prices... but they certainly can have a GREATER influence in raising prices.

Recent examples...
A) Reduce regulation and show support the industry= prices stabilized through market dynamics by untethering the industry. Supply chain becomes (more) predictable and future contracts reflect a stabile predictable market.

B) Claim to be the general in a war on fossil fuel = today. Fill in this segment with your own observations.

Old 08-07-2022, 11:15 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,894,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchcargo777 View Post
So it's satirical when you do it and the end of democracy when I do it.
Never said that. Why put words in my mouth?

Old 08-07-2022, 11:25 AM

30,253 posts, read 23,733,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
I don't think a president controls gas prices. However, those who blamed Biden for the high prices should probably be thanking him for the lower prices now.
I should thank a tool who made the gas prices rise to ridiculous amounts, and then when it drops, but is still higher by almost twice the amount that it was before he did anything, I'm supposed to thank him?

No!

Old 08-07-2022, 03:06 PM

19,029 posts, read 27,592,838 times
Hey, hey, hey! Mr Biden told gas producers to lower prices and they did. After all, he's a president, right? Certainly, he gets the credit.

Old 08-07-2022, 03:12 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,932,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
I don't think a president controls gas prices. However, those who blamed Biden for the high prices should probably be thanking him for the lower prices now.
This.

Old 08-07-2022, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
Hey, hey, hey! Mr Biden told gas producers to lower prices and they did. After all, he's a president, right? Certainly, he gets the credit.
I betcha they kiss his ring too

Old 08-07-2022, 04:50 PM

3,444 posts, read 2,818,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
I say the consumer bought down the price by less demand. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
So when the prices were under $2.00/gallon during Covid in 2020 (and under Trump's watch) because so many business were closed so there were very few people on the roads, that was also supply and demand, right? Not that Trump brought the prices down (by some stretch of the imagination)?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies