Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2022, 10:53 AM

9,504 posts, read 4,339,161 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrie22 View Post
all the way down to the paint, putty, wax, and wire.....and the guy that scrapes the crap off the bottom
...and the corner sandwich shop workers where those people buy lunch, and the gas station where they buy gas to get to work, and the mechanic who repairs the cars they use to get to work, and the flagger at the road construction site, and on, and on, and on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2022, 10:55 AM

25,116 posts, read 16,212,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Silly thread. The Trump corporate tax cuts are recent proof of the success of trickle down economics. We had companies voluntarily increasing wages after that, giving out thousands dollar bonuses left and right, and increasing hiring. Why? They had more money to invest in their companies and people. I love how leftists complete ignore what is right before them.
it didn't work out as well as intended, because they almost completely let the corps decide what to do with their ~40% tax cut. It could have been structured in a very convoluted way based upon employment and employee wages. It also could have much more simply left a tax tier for stock buybacks. I haven't seen any argument how stock buybacks help anyone but the investor who already owns the company.

Old 08-09-2022, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by odinloki1 View Post
Because all jobs with poverty level wages give healthcare and retirement?

https://www.epi.org/blog/growing-ine...ypical-worker/

This includes total compensation, including benefits.

Your argument is as weak as Art Laffer’s thought processes.
to come back to this, I did some more digging, and found the official BLS info, for total Employer cost for compensation.

https://www.bls.gov/ncs/ect/notices/...cal-tables.htm

Choose the XLS for "Civilian Workers", it only goes back to 2004 while our EPI link defines the split as starting in 1979.

But what your EPI link says is:

Quote:
Between 1979 and 2019, net productivity grew 59.7% while a typical (median) worker’s compensation grew by 15.8%, a 43.9 percentage point divergence driven by inequality.
This is unfortunately untrue, per the BLS info.

In March 2004, the total hourly cost/employee was $24.95. In March 2022, the last available, it was $40.90.

So, productivity grew 59.7%.
Employee cost grew 64%.

The employee did better than productivity.

Old 08-09-2022, 11:17 AM

89,000 posts, read 44,813,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
it didn't work out as well as intended, because they almost completely let the corps decide what to do with their ~40% tax cut. It could have been structured in a very convoluted way based upon employment and employee wages. It also could have much more simply left a tax tier for stock buybacks. I haven't seen any argument how stock buybacks help anyone but the investor who already owns the company.
Clueless... You are referring to stock buybacks that increase share values. 100 million American workers and retirees have, in aggregate, $37.5 trillion worth of investments in their pension plans and retirement accounts. When stock buybacks increase the value of stock shares, all 100 million people benefit, not just the wealthy.

https://www.ici.org/statistical-report/ret_22_q1

Old 08-09-2022, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Clueless... You are referring to stock buybacks that increase share values. 100 million American workers and retirees have, in aggregate, $37.5 trillion worth of investments in their pension plans and retirement accounts. When stock buybacks increase the value of stock shares, all 100 million people benefit, not just the wealthy.

"Clueless" is attempting to claim I didn't say American workers owned stock or that only the wealthy did. I said no such thing. I did say it didn't directly benefit the employees. A stock buyback has nothing to do with making the company operate better or earn more money. It has nothing to do with the actual value of the company, just as a stock split doesn't.

But you've said your peace, and I've said mine. I know what getting down into an argument with you devolves to.

Old 08-09-2022, 11:50 AM

25,729 posts, read 12,800,389 times
The Dems have become the political party of the wealthy, who are so greedy, they will keep 100% of all they make, and never allow 1$ to trickle down.

Thus, the Dem party are making the rich richer, and the poor poorer.

The Democrat party should be named the Greedocrat party, or the party of the top 1%.

Old 08-09-2022, 01:25 PM

89,000 posts, read 44,813,405 times
Quote:
"Clueless" is attempting to claim I didn't say American workers owned stock or that only the wealthy did. I said no such thing. I did say it didn't directly benefit the employees. A stock buyback has nothing to do with making the company operate better or earn more money. It has nothing to do with the actual value of the company, just as a stock split doesn't.
Here's what you said:
Quote:
I haven't seen any argument how stock buybacks help anyone but the investor who already owns the company.
Stock buybacks help the 100 million people who have over $27 trillion worth of investments in their pensions and retirement accounts, as I've already explained. That's a lot of people, not just the rich. And what makes you think employees don't have their company's stock in their pensions and retirement accounts? Many companies deliver profit sharing in the form of company stocks.

Old 08-09-2022, 01:39 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,889,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paracord View Post
When you hear words like "honest wage," and "make end's meet," you know you're dealing with a person not interested in facts but rather emotions.
Care to dispute the facts I laid out about the wages versus expenses of central Floridian workers?

Old 08-09-2022, 02:57 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,561,042 times
Quote:

But you've said your peace, and I've said mine. I know what getting down into an argument with you devolves to.
Clueless. Companies don’t buy back stocks IF they have a better way to make money. You assumed all the executives, investors, and shareholders were dumb as a rock when the company could deploy money elsewhere and make more money, but they were stupid enough to buy back their own stocks and lose all their money!!!

Well, you assumed wrong.

Stock buybacks is often the best way for the company to deploy their fund. For example, Buffets was ridiculed for not buying back BRK stocks during the Covid market crash. Many people questioned him why he had zero faith in his own company and didn’t buy back the stock when its price was artificially beaten down and at the same time the company was sitting on hundred billions of cash doing nothing.

Old 08-09-2022, 05:39 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,561,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post

The jealousy of other people’s money and financial illiteracy is the reason why we are where we are today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies