Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2022, 10:42 PM

24,591 posts, read 9,422,542 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
There is no other alternative. Capitalism is the only economic system that works.

Liberals don’t have any other answers.
I agree, if capitalisms didn't work, we would have global civil wars, revolts, and uprisings at this point in many western countries.

Capitalism is far from perfect. 40 hour work weeks and working 5 days a week sucks for most people, but the alternatives are far worse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2022, 11:03 PM

3,699 posts, read 4,840,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrie22 View Post
all the way down to the paint, putty, wax, and wire.....and the guy that scrapes the crap off the bottom
Yep, and not only running my own little inshore charter boat I detail boats as well. So I am that guy applying wax, paint and scraping the crap off the bottom.

And can't forget the one driving the travel lift and blocking it up.

Trickles on down to many small companies, independent contractors and hourly wage earners. It just goes on and on and on.

Old 08-10-2022, 05:23 AM

58,923 posts, read 27,247,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
The people who want "excess profits" distributed among the workers are the same ones who decry downsizing when there are "excessive losses." They want a right to raises and profit sharing, but they want it without any possible downside.

They want the right without the responsibility. Honestly, we should change the national slogan from E Pluribus Unum to Ius Sine Conscientia (rights without responsibility), because that is the America of the modern era. Everyone wants everything but nobody wants anything to do with the work required to get any of it.
"The people who want "excess profits" distributed among the workers are the same ones who decry downsizing when there are "excessive losses."

Being you are claiming to know each and every one of them and what they do and when, name them.

Old 08-10-2022, 05:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
This post is perfect and explains the problem. Since about the 1980's when you had all the corporate raiders and the greenmail schemes to avoid them, companies don't trickle down the success to the workers who are actually making the company work. It stays with the executive who regardless of their terrible job or their great job are making money and the stockholders.

Look at the Walt Disney Company. Bob Chapek is not a great executive at all. He wasn't even that good as chair if Parks, Resorts and Experiences. Several projects under Chapek both as chair if PRE and CEO have faced delayed openings and criticism for not being enough. He also mishandled working with actors especially when movie theaters reopened and instead of going to, you could order Disney+ premium access. He got paid a lot for failure.
The fact is while that happened, Disney lagged behind on paying employees an honest wage. Disney was among one of the last Orlando based amusement companies to offer high-ball employees back as the parks re-opened and retaining employees and avoiding "The Great Resignation" by offering them raises as well. All this going on when already high central Floridian rent went higher and higher. An average cast member at Disneyland in California or Walt Disney World in Florida, can hardly afford to live on their wages. I think in Orlando, one has to actually work about 60+ hours just to make end's meet.

Yet we continue to believe the rich are job makers and that the rich are infallible.
"companies don't trickle down"

Name the companies.

Old 08-10-2022, 05:29 AM

25,648 posts, read 12,742,202 times
None of the $353B the Libs just spent will trickle down..those greedy polticians, and their pals in the Fortune 500, will keep it all for themselves!

Old 08-10-2022, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
Bingo, excellent post on how trickle down works. No yachts, no jobs.
I posted on this earlier and included RVs, airplanes, 2nd homes etc. as well.

Old 08-10-2022, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
It is funny how so many here seem to be against Trickle Down and they are convinced it does not work. I like what a responder wrote and that is Trickle Down equals Opportunity and that is what I was talking about in my post.

A rich guy buys a property, lets say Barrack Obama. His estate on Marthas Vineyard requires an army of regular Joe's to maintain. If he throws a party he hires more people from the caterers to the guys that build the temporary dance floor over the pool to security and the list goes on and on. It takes hundreds of people to make a success.

Obama throwing a party for his rich cronies extends opportunities to so many regular people and this is an example of Trickle Down.

I recently saw in the newspaper that a local couple donated $10million towards the expansion of the area Hospital. Imagine being so rich that you could donate $10million! but that is Trickle Down that will benefit every citizen rich or poor that goes to that Hospital.

I don't know why so many seem to hate the idea of Trickle Down economics. I suspect those that are against it don't care about the opportunities it offers and they would rather receive a hand out than work for it.

Sooo we trash Trickle Down and we turn to what? Universal income? That doesn't sound like America to me.
"A rich guy buys a property, lets say Barrack Obama. His estate on Marthas Vineyard requires an army of regular Joe's to maintain."

Probably did a lot of re-modeling also. And buys NEW furnishings.

"I recently saw in the newspaper that a local couple donated $10million towards the expansion of the area Hospital"

It is a known fact that repubs donate MORE then dems.

Which is why most dems are not aware of these types of tings.

Old 08-10-2022, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
which brings us to the value of education.

They say "you told people, you have to get a college degree" but apparently the expectation that it would be in a relevant and worker-needed discipline wasn't set properly. And lots and lots of people thought as long as they could waive a piece of paper in the air, their job and financial future were set. I don't know where they got that idea, but they did. I know when I was in college in the mid-80's, and surely had no clue what I wanted to do, I looked around to see what folks earned out of school and 10 years down the road, before I chose what to get my degree (baseline expertise) in.

Because the cost/investment in that time and expense had to be justified when I entered the workforce. And even though I got a "median +" income from that job over a decade, I still couldn't buy a house for example. Maybe if my health insurance better reflected my covered needs, I would have been paid better and could have saved faster for a house.
" And lots and lots of people thought as long as they could waive a piece of paper in the air, their job and financial future were set."

Like aoc, who with her degrees, " Ocasio-Cortez graduated *** laude[27] from Boston University in 2011 with a Bachelor of Arts degree in both international relations and economics., the BEST job she could get was a bartender.

My apologies to bartenders.

Old 08-10-2022, 06:44 AM

4,404 posts, read 5,141,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"A rich guy buys a property, lets say Barrack Obama. His estate on Marthas Vineyard requires an army of regular Joe's to maintain."

Probably did a lot of re-modeling also. And buys NEW furnishings.

"I recently saw in the newspaper that a local couple donated $10million towards the expansion of the area Hospital"

It is a known fact that repubs donate MORE then dems.

Which is why most dems are not aware of these types of tings.
Requires an army of illegals you mean. A majority of direct work opportunities the wealthy provide are for illegal immigrants. Who by the way are cheap labor and overall are a net drain on the nation.

Wealthy who donate get to claim that on their taxes at an often inflated dollar figure. They actually gain money at tax payers expense and get to have their legacy family name on something big for forever and ever and ever.

Old 08-10-2022, 06:58 AM

10,864 posts, read 6,452,356 times
rich does not hire illegals,it is the company which they hire to do the work hire subcontractors who hire illegals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies