U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-07-2022, 11:09 AM
 
Location: Just over the horizon
16,668 posts, read 5,643,734 times
Reputation: 10351

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
The benefits of throwing the elite/rich a bone in the hopes that that will cause a domino effect of the less fortunate benefitting hasn't exactly worked. The Rich continue to hoard and the broke continue to stay broke. If this idea works than why does the income gap continue to widened?


Liberals claim trickle down doesn't work....

Because they don't understand (or intentionally misrepresent) what trickle down actually is and what it's supposed to do.

Trickle down is just Capitalism being allowed to work the way it's intended to.

It doesn't mean that money, wealth and prosperity is going to fall into your lap.

Because what trickles down is OPPORTUNITY.

But YOU still have to go out and get your share of the trickle down, because no one is going to hand it to you on a silver platter.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-07-2022, 11:42 AM
 
Location: Long Island
30,291 posts, read 17,386,811 times
Reputation: 8719
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
The benefits of throwing the elite/rich a bone in the hopes that that will cause a domino effect of the less fortunate benefitting hasn't exactly worked. The Rich continue to hoard and the broke continue to stay broke. If this idea works than why does the income gap continue to widened?
the income gap increase in every first world nation... that gap has increase in not only the USA, but every first world out there, including the more "social" nations like France, Belgium, Denmark, Sweden, Norway

btw, trickle down (rising tide) works a heck of a lot better than the liberals trickle up welfare
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-07-2022, 11:45 AM
 
Location: Long Island
30,291 posts, read 17,386,811 times
Reputation: 8719
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjshae View Post
It's more of a trickle up economy, where everything gets less and less affordable unless you are one of the wealthy.
that would be the liberals inflation... the one that Obama describes as he (now biden) will fundamentally transform/transition this nation... notice the words they use..they are currently saying the inflation is transitory, and transitional

funny, how Obama and now biden use some of the same terms
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-07-2022, 12:04 PM
 
23,439 posts, read 10,687,758 times
Reputation: 11150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristinas_Cap View Post
who creates high paying jobs? who buys whatever they want? it all trickles down. free market capitalism gives you the life you enjoy, which is a much better standard of living than socialist utopias. under capitalism, you can go to whatever restaurant you want. you can go to the supermarket and buy basically anything you want. you can buy specialty products. what does government create? i wonder how many high paying jobs people like Elon Musk created? space x, tesla, boring company, paypal. that’s trickle down. the idea is to let businesses thrive by getting the foot of government off off their throats.
Spot on. Also, who funds the welfare state ? Who spends millions to donate to hospitals and learning institutions ? It certainly isn't the half of the population that doesn't even pay income taxes, yet reap the benefits.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-07-2022, 01:59 PM
 
2,718 posts, read 851,296 times
Reputation: 1746
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
Liberals claim trickle down doesn't work....

Because they don't understand (or intentionally misrepresent) what trickle down actually is and what it's supposed to do.

Trickle down is just Capitalism being allowed to work the way it's intended to.

It doesn't mean that money, wealth and prosperity is going to fall into your lap.

Because what trickles down is OPPORTUNITY.

But YOU still have to go out and get your share of the trickle down, because no one is going to hand it to you on a silver platter.
Bologna.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-07-2022, 02:07 PM
 
Location: Southeast US
8,633 posts, read 1,764,952 times
Reputation: 2114
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemstone1 View Post
"I should know, I own one". Good for you, and as long as you are paying your fair share, you are to be congratulated. However, those who do not pay their fair share, should be taxed to the point it hurts.

those who don't pay their "fair share" should be fined and penalized. Fair share being defined as "legal under the laws that Congress enacts".

Or did you mean "fair" based upon the opinion of ignorant and jealous people that want to spend other people's money?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-07-2022, 02:10 PM
 
17,680 posts, read 6,296,886 times
Reputation: 15538
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
The benefits of throwing the elite/rich a bone in the hopes that that will cause a domino effect of the less fortunate benefitting hasn't exactly worked. The Rich continue to hoard and the broke continue to stay broke. If this idea works than why does the income gap continue to widened?
It DID work. When the higher end was doing well, so was the lower end. Just saying it doesn't work, doesn't make it so.

I know when we make more, I hire more people, take more trips, etc. The proof? More people were taken off the welfare rolls under Trump. Real wages increased for the first time in decades. Black, hispanic and female unemployment were at historic lows.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-07-2022, 02:11 PM
 
Location: Southeast US
8,633 posts, read 1,764,952 times
Reputation: 2114
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
The Democrat party Senators (except Bernie) disagree with you, & they are voting to keep allowing millionaires & billionaires to use a very lucrative tax-dodging loophole called "carried interest" in their new $433b spending bill. You can read all about it right here:

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/san...pholes-wealthy

What do you think about that? Are you okay with the Dems allowing this tax loophole to continue?
of course they are. I mean, Manchin said he would NOT support the bill if it DIDN'T have the carried interest. And then they remembered they needed Sinema too and *poof* just a little eraser action. Nothing to see here.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-07-2022, 02:12 PM
 
17,680 posts, read 6,296,886 times
Reputation: 15538
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemstone1 View Post
"I should know, I own one". Good for you, and as long as you are paying your fair share, you are to be congratulated. However, those who do not pay their fair share, should be taxed to the point it hurts.
Who decides how much is 'fair share'? You? How much do YOU pay? 57% of the people in this country pay ZERO FEDERAL INCOME TAXES. I say how about if they pay a fair share decided by me.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-07-2022, 02:19 PM
 
17,680 posts, read 6,296,886 times
Reputation: 15538
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
It doesn't and it hasn't for a long, long time.

In fact, the only time anyone digs up what started life as "Reaganomics" is to present a straw man argument for the purpose of drawing attention away from the current economic malaise.

Poverty has many different causes with a great deal of overlap between them.

The connections between generational poverty and Democrat policy are many.

And while policies of the now-irrelevant corporate ***** wing of the Republican Party probably don't help much, they don't reward failure and don't encourage continued failure the way Democrat policies do.

Anyone can develop marketable skills and improve their situation if they really want to, so the focus should be on the concrete actions of individuals instead of abstract political theories from the 1980s.
Wonder how much money will be tossed down the drain under the 'Inflation Reduction' Act for Green energy. We already saw Obama toss $500M into the street for Solyndra. That's chicken feed compared to the new deal. https://www.washingtonpost.com/solyn...lHP_story.html
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2022, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top