Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2022, 03:16 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,947,966 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Able-bodied people should have the capability to feed and care themselves. If they can’t, their parents should pick up the tab, and they should refrain from having any children.

That’s the responsible way to live in a society.
Uh. We were talking about being able to afford a 100' yacht.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2022, 03:19 PM

16,761 posts, read 8,207,350 times
Last time was Trump's tax cuts. All it did was raise the deficit higher then any other POTUS.

The benefactors of the tax cuts (top 1%) did nothing to improve the economy.

Old 08-08-2022, 03:21 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,555,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haksel257 View Post
I don't like Dems. I suppose I was speaking in generalities of corruption, rather than direct exploitation of workers. It's baked into the system of work or starve. Anything that distorts the bargaining power balance between classes is exploitative. And anything that hurts "the middle class but not necessarily workers per se" necessarily hurts workers. To paraphrase Jon Taffer, "a hungry dog is an obedient dog", AKA it's not a big secret. Tax services lobbied to keep taxes complicated and in need of pro assistance is exploitative. The fact that the IRS is less likely to go after the rich because they can lawyer up to argue the complex legalise. Any lobbied legislation that raises the barrier to entry of the capitalist class in exploitative. Lobbying for government contracts (thus siphoning taxes back into their pockets). Wars are highly profitable, I don't see any problem here. Artificially restricting supply is exploitative. Keeping borders open to illegals to increase population, decreasing labor demand, is exploitative (told you I wasn't a Dem). Firing workers before they organize via churn-n-burn is exploitative. Tying exorbitant healthcare (no lobbying there) to employment is a fantastic tool to keep employees with health problems to remain in their cubicle. Insider trading is a thing, right before our eyes. Burying data-collection in a mile-long TOS, exploitative. Using that data to better inform their cunning media campaigns for maximum manipulation, exploitative. We're going to leave shadow lobbying alone, because if you don't see something, it doesn't exist. There are many examples of exploitation via lobbying or otherwise, I'm tired of typing. If you don't see it, I can't help you see it.

Let's use a simple thought experiment. Why wouldn't they do everything in their power and legal bounds to exploit the working class? Why wouldn't they do everything in their power to expand their power and expand, nay, become and control those legal bounds? Is it because they're nice? Because governments are notoriously difficult to corrupt?

And wtf is this? https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/news...omMaestro=true

NLRB-supported decision. Yeah, no money and corruption involved there.

One more thing, the wealthy are generally apolitical in their actions, though it may not appear that way on the service. Profit is the idol. They use every political tool at their disposal when convenient and effective. Do I need to put "I don't like the modern USA Democratic Party" in my signature for every post?
If someone doesn’t work, why shouldn’t he starve? Expecting and forcing other people to pay for it is slavery.

Old 08-08-2022, 03:40 PM

25,118 posts, read 16,198,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
Because it is supposed to be trickling down, according to the theory. Not to mention that without the workers, the business doesn't operate or make any money. .
there is not a theory called "trickle down economics". There is a theory of supply-side economics. Supply-side says reduce taxes on all brackets, and reduce extraneous or overly-limiting regulations that stifle business.

The Democrats used the term "trickle down" to criticize Reagan. It was always seen as a criticism, since it apparently began with Will Rogers in the Depression.

We all get our money from one of 3 sources, I believe:

Somebody pays us for our labor (work value)
The government sends us a check (entitlement/social safety net)
Someone has generated wealth that yields cash flow (retirement or a trust fund baby)

~63% of us get our money from a job (overall LFPR of 18-65).

Thanks to larger standard deductions, even fewer workers pay Federal income taxes. The average family that got a $2,000 tax cut from TCJIA (Trump term) was pretty happy with it. Unless they paid so much attention to the Dems talking about "the rich" who pay most of the taxes getting most of the benefits.

Last edited by BoBromhal; 08-08-2022 at 03:50 PM..

Old 08-08-2022, 03:44 PM

4,560 posts, read 4,097,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
I agree but also punishing the rich bc they are rich doesn’t help matters, either. Everyone should strive to improve their lot in life but Democrats want to disincentivize it with their Robin Hood “you owe me” mentality.
If productivity increases but wages don’t and it persists for decades, is it punishing the rich? Or is it paying the workers for the wealth they generated but were never paid in the first place, thus compensating them for decades of theft?

https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2020/...wages-stagnate

Old 08-08-2022, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss View Post
Last time was Trump's tax cuts. All it did was raise the deficit higher then any other POTUS.

The benefactors of the tax cuts (top 1%) did nothing to improve the economy.
spending raised the deficit higher. Collections from the top 1% actually increased.

Corporate taxes continued downward from their 2014 peak, but rebounded last year.

Old 08-08-2022, 03:50 PM

4,560 posts, read 4,097,614 times
Quote:
If someone doesn’t work, why shouldn’t he starve? Expecting and forcing other people to pay for it is slavery.
A fetus doesn’t work. Neither does an infant a toddler or a child. Maybe they should starve too.

A fetus doesn’t work so by your logic, forcing a mother to go through the pregnancy is slavery.

Old 08-08-2022, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by odinloki1 View Post
If productivity increases but wages don’t and it persists for decades, is it punishing the rich? Or is it paying the workers for the wealth they generated but were never paid in the first place, thus compensating them for decades of theft?

https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2020/...wages-stagnate
you wanted medical care and other benefits that cost the employer money.

Old 08-08-2022, 03:54 PM

Quote:
I guess that attitude might work, as long as you are willing to pay someone to collect the dead bodies.

Old 08-08-2022, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
there is not a theory called "trickle down economics". There is a theory of supply-side economics. Supply-side says reduce taxes on all brackets, and reduce extraneous or overly-limiting regulations that stifle business.

The Democrats used the term "trickle down" to criticize Reagan. It was always seen as a criticism, since it apparently began with Will Rogers in the Depression.

We all get our money from one of 3 sources, I believe:

Somebody pays us for our labor (work value)
The government sends us a check (entitlement/social safety net)
Someone has generated wealth that yields cash flow (retirement or a trust fund baby)

~63% of us get our money from a job (overall LFPR of 18-65).

Thanks to larger standard deductions, even fewer workers pay Federal income taxes. The average family that got a $2,000 tax cut from TCJIA (Trump term) was pretty happy with it. Unless they paid so much attention to the Dems talking about "the rich" who pay most of the taxes getting most of the benefits.
Call it supply side or call it trickle down, same difference. Either way, the working guy loses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies