Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2022, 05:09 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,207,721 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
in my opinion, the best thing that could happen in america is americans self-selecting, sorting ourselves based on politics. we are so divided that we can live as americans harmoniously only if we, prog and cons, have state governments....not federal government...governing us except on certain issues like national security. progressives/dems have their states. republicans have their states.
Bingo…shame the whole promise of unity never happened and our present regime has caused huge divide instead.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2022, 05:24 PM

20,393 posts, read 14,661,936 times
Quote:
in my opinion, the best thing that could happen in america is americans self-selecting, sorting ourselves based on politics. we are so divided that we can live as americans harmoniously only if we, prog and cons, have state governments....not federal government...governing us except on certain issues like national security. progressives/dems have their states. republicans have their states.
I don't agree with that, and the reason is that I believe that there are forces that want us to do this and then to end up (with or without a civil war involved) fracturing the United States into smaller nation-states like Europe. Which would diminish our power in the world and our ability to defend ourselves. And even if some of our enemies might have valid reasons to be sick of our crap, as much as we've interfered with everybody else's business all around the world, I still don't want to see us go down like that.

I don't think that any country believes they can defeat us in a head on military confrontation, which means that the only route is to make us tear ourselves apart.

I am therefore ALL for blending different ideologies and people figuring out (hopefully, though many might need to log off the screens and go outside and talk to other human beings around them) that the lunatic fringe of either side is pretty dang small, and most of us just want to live our lives and not be messed with. And we're more capable of being civil even in disagreement than a lot of folks want any of us to believe.

People talk a lot of crap about California, and I agree that there has been a lot of corruption in the state and local governments (god, the utilities alone)...but it's a freakin' huge state and it's far from completely blue. They have the same issue there though, that a lot of states have. The CITIES are blue. But outside of the metro areas it just gets redder and redder. CA just has a lot of city-people. The country-people there don't like the urban dwellers making the rules for them, any more than the rural residents of any state like it.

Obviously there are exceptions, liberals in the country and conservatives in the city, but I'm just talking about "for the most part." It bugs me a little bit that there are a lot of people out there who have never even set foot in CA who think they know all of what the state is like because of some stuff they heard on the news or talk radio or whatever. As though the entire state is SF & LA and there's nothing else there. Not that I've ever lived there but I've spent some time there and I've driven the state from north to south. That alone with at least give you some idea of the scope and size and how much of it is countryside rather than big city.

There are some things that I'd really like to see legislated at even a more granular level than that of a given state. We need to find a way for people who live in cities and those who do not, to understand and respect that the way of life is just different, and there are really some different rules that should apply, so that everyone can get the most out of the life they want to live in the kind of area they've chosen to live in.

Old 08-08-2022, 05:40 PM

15,636 posts, read 10,390,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
I am therefore ALL for blending different ideologies and people figuring out (hopefully, though many might need to log off the screens and go outside and talk to other human beings around them) that the lunatic fringe of either side is pretty dang small, and most of us just want to live our lives and not be messed with. And we're more capable of being civil even in disagreement than a lot of folks want any of us to believe.
we disagree. there is no way in my crystal ball to the future that progressives and conservatives can coexist as a nation without separation by state for governance. the differences in values are too great.

Last edited by texan2yankee; 08-08-2022 at 05:58 PM..

Old 08-08-2022, 06:00 PM

8,105 posts, read 6,752,854 times
I’d love to move to Florida however summers would be hard on me.

Old 08-08-2022, 06:03 PM

4,507 posts, read 4,045,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
I would love to move to a blue state. Can't afford it. It would not be logistically feasible right now even if I could.
What is you are looking for most in a blue state you can’t get where you’re at?

Old 08-08-2022, 06:09 PM

25,744 posts, read 18,809,520 times
Quote:
Totally agree with this. And technically, that is the way our nation was meant to be set up in the first place. The states (colonies) joined in matters of national security and not much other than that. Personally, I think we screwed up pretty good when the federalists convinced us to move beyond the Articles of Confederation, thus increasing federal government power. And although the Civil War was fought for a just cause (in large part, to end slavery), there were some very bad results that came from that conflict as far as solidifying federal power.

Old 08-08-2022, 06:11 PM

27,566 posts, read 28,665,617 times
I live in Maryland, but I moved to a purple area in the state that fits better with my political leanings.

The deep blue parts of Maryland are too much of a freak show for my taste.

Old 08-08-2022, 06:17 PM

1,866 posts, read 934,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Above Average Bear View Post
I’d love to move to Florida however summers would be hard on me.
They're absolutely atrocious.

You're talking 90 degree heat with 70%+ humidity, it feels awful.
That's why I moved back to California.

At least Florida is managed well and has a good state governor.

California's state governor is a giant douchewad who looks like a deranged serial killer.

Old 08-08-2022, 06:22 PM

362 posts, read 143,876 times
I would love a moderate state, that's more conservative leaning. I am really sick of Democrats and Republicans.

Old 08-08-2022, 06:44 PM

5,510 posts, read 9,493,295 times
I don't have a lot of perspective on this issue. I grew up in Ohio, and don't want to leave the state because I have family roots here, some going back well into the 19th century. But it seems the state has been drifting to the right more and more over the last 10 years or so. While the affects of this are less noticeable in the city, I don't think the state is advancing like it could, if it remained purple.

I think we were better off as a country, when we were less divided. So, that's another reason I want to stay in Ohio; I can do my tiny part to push the state purple.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies