Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2022, 10:22 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,376,689 times

Advertisements

As to the privilege claim, this isn't going to help Trump's case:

...Nixon v. GSA noted that all parties to the case, including former President Nixon, agreed that “the very specific privilege protecting against disclosure of state secrets and sensitive information concerning military or diplomatic matters . . . may be asserted only by an incumbent President” (emphasis added). Thus, the Court contrasted the privilege related to confidentiality of presidential communications with the “privilege relating to the need ‘to protect military, diplomatic, or sensitive national security secrets’” (quoting U.S. v Nixon)....

https://www.justsecurity.org/83012/t...urity-secrets/

Old 09-09-2022, 10:22 AM

37,183 posts, read 19,189,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
They are investigating more than that. However my point is if in the end the feds only charge him with obstruction and nothing related to those documents I would be against that. A former president is not like everyone else. Look at Nixon. Are you going to say that Trump having those documents is worse than Watergate?
Watergate was a Sunday school picnic compared to MAL.

Old 09-09-2022, 10:24 AM

23,972 posts, read 15,075,178 times
What some are ignoring is if TFG did declassify anything, then the rest of us have a right to fill out a FOIA to see it, too.

If he turned counterclockwise while chanting declassify 3 times, how do the rest of us know about it?

I can't see it if he declassified, did not notify the original producer of the document then put it in a box at Mar A Lago.

Old 09-09-2022, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
Here we go again. Pedantic to the extreme.
"Seems you don't know that declassified docs still have classified markings"
They also have “DECLASSIFIED” markings. If they do not, they are considered classified.

Old 09-09-2022, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Nixon did a lot more than simply try to keep his tapes private. Nixon had no choice but resign. They had the votes to remove him. Impeachment is a political process not a legal process.

I don't see Trump pleading guilty at all. So you have a trial. The trial of the century. And riots, etc.
Bring it. When we become afraid of domestic terrorism we cease to be America.

Old 09-09-2022, 10:31 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,854,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
What some are ignoring is if TFG did declassify anything, then the rest of us have a right to fill out a FOIA to see it, too.

If he turned counterclockwise while chanting declassify 3 times, how do the rest of us know about it?

I can't see it if he declassified, did not notify the original producer of the document then put it in a box at Mar A Lago.
Reality doesn’t exist in Trumplandia—
What Trump does and what “normal” people do are so at odds there is no shared reality

Cannon is just barely competent to be an attorney probably
For her to sit on the bench was for Trump’s benefit — not the legal system in general

Her putting forth that nonsensical response to Trump’s request is proof of that

MarALago is just the tip of the iceberg of Trump’s corruption
If you think THIS was bad—imagine what he was doing when he had the power and staff as POTUS

Having two Impeachment trials come to nothing left him with a sense of invulnerability and entitlement as deep as the Grand Canyon…
He still thinks he is protected from any real harm and acts accordingly…

Last edited by loves2read; 09-09-2022 at 10:59 AM..

Old 09-09-2022, 10:32 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,854,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post

They weren’t
He didn’t
It is as much a scam as Trump University
And only dupes believe it…

Old 09-09-2022, 10:33 AM

13,211 posts, read 21,825,412 times
Remember folks, there are more investigations to come whose existence were referenced in the various DOJ filings. But they're being very protective of what more they're investigating.

I think it's possible they know exactly where the documents went. Perhaps they followed a money trail. I'm still wondering about that $2B the Saudi's gave to Kushner on the ruse of being a private equity investment. Imagine giving $2B to a brand new equity started by a guy who has no previous record of private equities. So they certainly didn't do it on any objective criteria, other than being connected to Trump of course. Maybe 90% of that went to that "big guy".

Old 09-09-2022, 10:38 AM

15,047 posts, read 8,869,985 times
Quote:
They are investigating more than that. However my point is if in the end the feds only charge him with obstruction and nothing related to those documents I would be against that. A former president is not like everyone else. Look at Nixon. Are you going to say that Trump having those documents is worse than Watergate?
Absolutely. I'm surprised you need to be told that stealing highly sensitive documents, with information that could prove to be detrimental to the country's national security if it falls into the wrong hands, is worse than attempting to cover up a break in at your opponent's headquarters.

You really couldn't figure that out by yourself?

Old 09-09-2022, 10:42 AM

13,211 posts, read 21,825,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
Absolutely. I'm surprised you need to be told that stealing highly sensitive documents, with information that could prove to be detrimental to the country's national security if it falls into the wrong hands, is worse than attempting to cover up a break in at your opponent's headquarters.

You really couldn't figure that out by yourself?
Now, now, don't be harsh. He was told this whole thing is the same as forgetting to return a library book.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies