Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2022, 02:37 PM

23,451 posts, read 12,487,658 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brennan2323 View Post
Please point out where in your post you say might, could, maybe:

I'd previously posted a link for the memo that Trump had sent to the AG, CIA director and the DNI regarding the declassification of those documents.

But since the feds didn't seem to notice or care that such highly sensitive classified material was missing for 18 months, then they may have problems finding that memo. IF that memo was sent then it's likely Trump has a copy of it, unless that copy was in with the other things that were taken. It's likely those offices that received the memo still have their copies, unless Garland seized them too. This will probably come out if he's charged and there's a court hearing.

You write this as if it is a fact. "Here is a link to the memo that was sent to the AG, CIA, etc regarding the declassification of THOSE documents." You are stating it as a fact. There is no other way to read into it, look at it, decipher it.
Yes, I should have worded the first comment with a 'might", or 'possibly', or similar, instead of waiting to say "IF" further into my comment. As I said, "I try" to word it as a possibility instead of as a fact.

Meanwhile, there's the apparent memo regarding declassifications, there's others like Patel who'd claimed things were declassified, there's Trump himself saying he'd declassified documents, etc. And all the feds had said so far is that there were documents with classified markings, they certainly had not stated that those documents had not been declassified.

Anyway.
It's good to be critiqued from time to time regarding claiming it as a possibility vs fact, since it keeps me on my toes in that department. Now, I would ask that you do the same for yourself and others of your ilk who post rumors as fact, but we both know that won't happen.

Old 09-09-2022, 02:43 PM

57,227 posts, read 26,172,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondy View Post
Logic dictates that only the incumbent pres could hold privilege.

Some if not all of these documents could still be in use by the current Executive Branch. Can't have 2 people making decisions about them.
Well yes it should be logically understood that only a sitting president could invoke executive privilege, but judge Cannon seems to think it's unsettled law. Nixon was in fact a sitting president attempting to invoke privilege to shield the tapes but there is no precedent for an ex-president using executive privilege, on that count she would be correct but that would assume the privilege extends beyond the term. Rather convoluted reasoning on her part since the title alone should dictate the parameters.

If a sitting president like Nixon can't block tapes that were in fact personally incriminating, why would a former president be allowed that latitude.

Old 09-09-2022, 02:45 PM

28,353 posts, read 16,368,692 times
Judge Cannon has given team Trump until Monday to respond to the DOJ's request that the classified documents be exempted from the Special Master review. She's looking for a way to save a little face on that ridiculous ruling at this point. We'll see if team Trump gives her an out or not.

Old 09-09-2022, 03:24 PM

8,410 posts, read 4,571,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
If he is agreeing to a quid pro quo, it is indeed a plea deal.

Also - Nobody has talked about hanging him. Yet. We'll need to see if he sold, traded, or gave any of the documents to anyone before that becomes the discussion.

That was THE topic of conversation a week ago. Your side was salivating at the idea of espionage and nuclear secrets. Now you are saying that 10 years for a procedure crime is good enough. It is so clear SOME punishment is necessary without even knowing what the crime is. The Monty Python BURN THE WITCH bit comes to mind.

As a Trump supporter I will come out and say that IF it is proven that HALF of what you people are claiming is true, I will 100% be onboard with him being punished. I will also say that I don't trust the government at all and will need to see some irrefutable evidence. What you guys are drooling over doesn't qualify.

Old 09-09-2022, 03:33 PM

5,581 posts, read 2,304,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchcargo777 View Post
....I'm talking about Hillary.....
but, but, but......Hillary!

Old 09-09-2022, 03:35 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,525,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Variable View Post

Old 09-09-2022, 03:40 PM

8,410 posts, read 4,571,146 times
Quote:

Precedence is precedence.

Equal treatment under the law.

Old 09-09-2022, 03:58 PM

23,451 posts, read 12,487,658 times
Quote:
Precedence is precedence.
To agree with that then they'd have to finally be truthful and admit that she's guilty as heck and that she was protected. That's never going to happen.

Quote:
Equal treatment under the law.
...does not exist, as has been proven time after time.

Old 09-09-2022, 04:10 PM

37,165 posts, read 19,174,827 times
Quote:
That was THE topic of conversation a week ago. Your side was salivating at the idea of espionage and nuclear secrets. Now you are saying that 10 years for a procedure crime is good enough. It is so clear SOME punishment is necessary without even knowing what the crime is. The Monty Python BURN THE WITCH bit comes to mind.

As a Trump supporter I will come out and say that IF it is proven that HALF of what you people are claiming is true, I will 100% be onboard with him being punished. I will also say that I don't trust the government at all and will need to see some irrefutable evidence. What you guys are drooling over doesn't qualify.
If Trump is tried and found innocent by a jury I can accept that. Juries have more power in a courtroom than anyone else. Their word is literally law.

If he is guilty of any of the crimes he is facing, I want to see him die in prison. If he is guilty of treason because he sold classified information to a hostile country, he should face the same penalty as Julius and Ethel Rosenberg in 1953.

Just so we are clear.

Old 09-09-2022, 04:13 PM

37,165 posts, read 19,174,827 times
Quote:
Default position when Fort Trump runs out of ammunition. Ad hominem attacks are also in fashion this year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies