Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2022, 12:33 PM

1,237 posts, read 1,383,369 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by berdee View Post
Grateful for unproven detail by unknown sources? Didn't y'all learn anything over these past 6 years?
That’s not the conclusion we should be drawing. But now I see you are another one who will never believe that our LEO agencies are trustworthy. No point in having the discussion then.

I just saw Maryland Governor Larry Hogan (R) on Fox talking about how dangerous the constant drumbeat against law enforcement is for the country. Back the Blue is just a slogan it seems.

Old 08-14-2022, 12:34 PM

8,325 posts, read 4,475,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanderling View Post
Sheesh. Kash Patel just ranted on Fox that NARA “never referred Hilary Clinton to the DOJ when she had all those classified documents…”

Ummmmm…. the DOJ investigated and investigated and investigated. They declined to charge, but that’s not due to lack of investigation.

What was it due to? My vote is a lack of integrity.

Old 08-14-2022, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHeadDave View Post
Trump can file appeal after appeal, he has billions of dollars to stay out of the pokey. In fact, he would probably enjoy the spotlight of a trial, which would be watched by the whole world - it would surely appease his enormous ego to have so much attention lavished on him.

He's already 76 and is far from being the picture of health. I think he has enough money to keep kicking the can down the road or better yet, have his devotees send their hard earned money to his legal fund.
Exactly. And when and if it looks like the conclusion is coming and he’ll be sentenced, he will fly the coop in a heartbeat. Talk about a flight risk!

Old 08-14-2022, 12:36 PM

11,989 posts, read 5,239,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
I've said many times, let the chips fall where they may.....if he's guilty he's guilt. But don't bring up trump is guilty when hillary did the exact same that, and her personnel server where these classified documents were knowingly hacked.

There are things that I liked what trump did and others things that I did not. But if the left is going to complain, it needs to be more than just the right, across the board. comey let hillary go, and if I did the same thing I'd be under the jail.
She didn’t do exactly the same thing. Trump hoarded original documents in violation of the Presidential Records Act, which doesn’t apply to Hillary. Hillary’s case involved emails, not original documents. The only issue was security for classified documents, many of which were classified retroactively after they were emailed.

Trump faces questions over the handling of classified records, which may hinge on whether he can legally declassify documents without memorializing (documenting) the reclassification and removing the classified markings on the records.

The other issue doesn’t involve the issue of classification at all. Trump lost the right to retain those documents when he left office. The documents are the property of the United States, and he was holding them in violation of the Presidential Records Act. NARA, the agency legally responsible for retaining those records tried to get Trump to return them, without success. In February of this year, NARA referred the issue to DOJ, who finally requested and received a subpoena to force return of the documents. About 20 boxes of records were retrieved. DOJ requested and received from a Trump lawyer a statement certifying that all documents (not just classified documents) had been returned. Subsequently, information was received by DOJ that there still were documents belonging to the United States being illegally retained at Mar-a-Lago. At that point, the FBI action was authorized. It wasn’t a rash action, but a slow, deliberative one, that was necessitated by the actions of Donald Trump.

Old 08-14-2022, 12:38 PM

22,840 posts, read 12,021,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
Show us the standing order that says any document Trump brings to the residence is automatically declassified. We'll wait.
It will likely be released at some point, patience grasshopper.

Old 08-14-2022, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchcargo777 View Post
What was it due to? My vote is a lack of integrity.
There’s lots of writing about why no charges were brought. We are not in the AG’s mind and can’t know for sure, but it’s just as likely to be due to actually HAVING integrity. We as citizens do not want the DOJ bringing cases because of popular opinion. The AG is the arbiter of when it is appropriate to charge someone, not you and not me.

Old 08-14-2022, 12:50 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,232,080 times
Quote:
It has been astounding to watch those on the left so easily fall for manufactured talking points over the past few years. Even after many of those points had been exposed as lies or as twisted information, they continue to believe whatever they're told. Maybe they should be rounded up and studied?
It's been astounding to at least 81 million Americans to watch family and friends so easily fall for the lies of a grifter. I honestly cannot keep up with the constant lies and disinformation from Trump & Co. this week. It changes hourly. Just a select few.

1. They didn't get a copy of the warrant. False, his lawyer was there, and she stated she had a copy of the warrant.
  2. All they had to do was ask, and we would have given them the documents. The U.S. government asked at least 3 times: January/February, a subpoena in the spring, a meeting in June when they were told there were no more documents.
  3. First claims no one was allowed to watch the search, and then claims he watched it on CCTV from MAL.
  4. Obama took 33 million documents to Chicago. Why isn't his house being raided? The movement of documents from Washington to Chicago for inclusion in Obama's Presidential library were and are under the control of NARA. It was all done according to law.

During his 4 years in office, it's estimated he lied at least 30,000 times in public.

Old 08-14-2022, 12:51 PM

17,881 posts, read 27,278,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanderling View Post
I sure don’t. I can’t imagine Trump spending a minute behind bars. He’ll be dead long before it comes to that.
I agree with you.

That's y'alls last hope.

Y'all are so scared of this man, this President of the United States of America.

: )

Oh, and thank you for spitting out the truth of the way y'all feel. I need to put a state of mind to the folks who would actually have voted for Joe Biden.

Old 08-14-2022, 12:54 PM

Quote:
When I'd asked why they didn't bother to take all of the documents, since they could have if they really wanted to, your response made it appear that you knew everything.
I said I was reasoning to a conclusion, not that I knew everything. I keep saying we don’t know everything, repeatedly.

Old 08-14-2022, 12:55 PM

17,584 posts, read 15,296,800 times
I really don't think he'll be going to prison. Maybe a fine, or maybe not even that. I believe it might take more than 1 incontrovertible piece of evidence to even get charged. The standard for an ex-prez being charged and convicted of national security or related crimes is probably quite a bit higher than a lower rank employee.

People talk about "2 tiers" of justice. I believe an ex-prez would be in the highest tier, handled more carefully, given more time to comply before a search & seizure than lower level employees. Evidence would need to be entirely convincing, rock solid and thoroughly vetted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies