Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2022, 01:46 AM

2,122 posts, read 1,794,611 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Commenter View Post
The apologies part sounds far-fetched.

It is true that the bulk of the sized documents are unclassified.
The funny thing in all this back and forth over if the documents are classified or not is that the potential charges that Trump is facing have nothing to do with the classification status of the documents.

Old 08-15-2022, 01:55 AM

3,501 posts, read 3,135,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
I know of only one president that lied under oath.
Really? Only one? Are you sure about that?
I guess you’re technically correct since he wasn’t president…yet.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graph...on/trump-lies/

Old 08-15-2022, 02:32 AM

5,052 posts, read 3,956,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shellymdnv View Post
The funny thing in all this back and forth over if the documents are classified or not is that the potential charges that Trump is facing have nothing to do with the classification status of the documents.
Agreed.

The media tried to excite the base about deadly and highly classified Nuke secrets and the like (perhaps to justify the inevitable whiff of banana republic resulting from a raid on the home of an ex-president and political rival) but in reality this is a mundane dispute over presidential papers ownership.

Trump will respond in court to try and get the papers back.

Old 08-15-2022, 02:43 AM

24,511 posts, read 33,312,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quigboto View Post
Really? Only one? Are you sure about that?
I guess you’re technically correct since he wasn’t president…yet.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graph...on/trump-lies/
Yes only one president lied under oath during his presidency... William the Impeached.

Old 08-15-2022, 02:49 AM

3,098 posts, read 3,785,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfricanSunset View Post
The Atlantic is no longer a trustworthy source.

To keep this apolitical, I searched for this by entering a custom range into google (so only results for dates before this incident, to keep out all the noise these propaganda rags turn out).

Ultimately, DOE is under the executive branch and the president is head of that branch. So the Atlantic's interpretation didn't make sense to me, granted I'm not a lawyer.

You can read about the actual act here: https://www.energy.gov/sites/prod/fi...n%20U.S.C..pdf

§2011 begins on page 14. I see nothing in there that indicates Atlantic's interpretation. Instead of quoting the Atlantic, quote from that act. Because besides not finding anything to support that assertion, a google search filtered for the dates yields nothing.

I want to point out, that even if this technically true (I have my doubts!), it doesn't mean Trump broke the law (*if* he had nuclear docs). Laws conflict all the time, and president is put in charge of determining classification status in the constitution (as I understand) so this will make it to the USSC to clear up any contradiction.
Information concerning nuclear weapons is born classified and classification is under the control of AEC
https://sgp.fas.org/library/quist/chap_4.pdf

Old 08-15-2022, 02:55 AM

3,098 posts, read 3,785,557 times
Quote:

To keep this apolitical, I searched for this by entering a custom range into google (so only results for dates before this incident, to keep out all the noise these propaganda rags turn out).

Ultimately, DOE is under the executive branch and the president is head of that branch. So the Atlantic's interpretation didn't make sense to me, granted I'm not a lawyer.

You can read about the actual act here: https://www.energy.gov/sites/prod/fi...n%20U.S.C..pdf

§2011 begins on page 14. I see nothing in there that indicates Atlantic's interpretation. Instead of quoting the Atlantic, quote from that act. Because besides not finding anything to support that assertion, a google search filtered for the dates yields nothing.

I want to point out, that even if this technically true (I have my doubts!), it doesn't mean Trump broke the law (*if* he had nuclear docs). Laws conflict all the time, and president is put in charge of determining classification status in the constitution (as I understand) so this will make it to the USSC to clear up any contradiction.
You did not read the document you posted
Subsections 2161 clearly states the declassification of RD is the responsibility of the AEC

All nuclear information is born RD

Boom.

Old 08-15-2022, 03:49 AM

46,951 posts, read 25,990,037 times
Looks like the current line of thinking is that a document is legally declassified the millisecond a president has formed the decision in his mind that it should be. No process or procedure, no paper trail, no accountability.

And if that a line of thinking sounds familiar, it's because it was King John's take back in 1215 - the king decides what's legal, because the king is the fount of all law. Those who followed along in history class will recall Magna Carta putting an end to that idea.

What's so depressing right now is the number of people who seem to want a king - or a person with king-like powers - to rule over them. Tired of this "republic" thing?

Last edited by Dane_in_LA; 08-15-2022 at 04:40 AM..

Old 08-15-2022, 03:50 AM

46,951 posts, read 25,990,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Commenter View Post
Agreed.

The media tried to excite the base about deadly and highly classified Nuke secrets and the like (perhaps to justify the inevitable whiff of banana republic resulting from a raid on the home of an ex-president and political rival) but in reality this is a mundane dispute over presidential papers ownership.

Trump will respond in court to try and get the papers back.
You missed the other statutes mentioned in the warrant?

Old 08-15-2022, 04:01 AM

37,174 posts, read 19,200,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
Maybe but Trump knows how to spell liar.
It’s always wise to trust professionals.

Old 08-15-2022, 04:15 AM

37,174 posts, read 19,200,869 times
Quote:

Trump was not supposed to have ANY documents related to his presidency at his home five states away. That is the entire subject of this thread. All of the documents were government property to be cataloged and archived for the public by NARA.

Additionally, if any of the documents were classified, Trump had no security clearance to handle them after March, 2021. He would have had to file a FOIA request to be allowed to view them as a private citizen.

If they were declassified, the stamp on them would have to have been changed to reflect it. The classification level would be at any time how they were currently marked.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies