Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2022, 06:19 AM

8,383 posts, read 4,366,655 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
President Trump has Attorneys- why would anyone think he doesn’t?

Those Attorneys filed a Fourth Amendment Lawsuit yesterday in Florida.

It’s 27 pages long, but easy reading - I promised to post it after it was filed and so I did.

Statement from President Trump on the Lawsuit

Of course he sued. Its what he does.

Time line compiled from various sources including the Boston Herald, Fox News, NY Times

January 2021, Trump departs the White House shortly before President Biden is sworn into office. The former president takes with him an undisclosed number of boxes containing classified documents.

The National Archives said it received a collection of documents from the White House at the end of the administration. It later said that many had been torn up and taped back together, and that others were handed over in scraps that officials had never reconstructed.

Late January 2021, National Archives and Records Administration (NARA), the agency tasked with preserving federal government records contacts representatives of Trump. NARA officials inquire about missing potentially-classified information.

The NARA negotiated with Mr. Trump’s lawyers throughout 2021 to have the materials returned.

Mid January 2022: Fifteen boxes of presidential records are retrieved from Mar-a-Lago in a transfer arranged by the National Archives and Records Administration. The transfer came after a Trump representative told the agency in December 2021 there were records in Florida nearly a year after he left office.

NARA requested Trump representatives "continue to search for any additional Presidential records that have not been transferred to NARA, as required by the Presidential Records Act" and that the agency notified the DOJ since classified documents were identified in the boxes Trump turned over.

Jan. 31, 2022: The agency says in a statement that some paper records from Trump’s time in office had been torn up by Trump.

Feb. 18, 2022: Classified information was found in the 15 boxes of White House records that had been stored at Mar-a-Lago

Feb. 25: The House Committee on Oversight and Reform seeks additional documents from the National Archives as part of its investigation

Spring 2022: Investigators from the Justice Department and FBI visit Mar-a-Lago to get more information about classified materials taken to Florida. Federal officials also served a subpoena for some documents believed to be at the estate.

June 2022 - Senior DOJ officials travel to Mar-a-Lago to meet with lawyers representing Trump regarding additional missing documents. Jay Bratt, the chief of DOJ's counterintelligence and export control section is in attendance. Trump briefly stopped by during the negotiations to greet the officials.

June-August 2022- Negotiations between DOJ investigators and Trump's representatives break down due to apparent lack of cooperation from Trump.

Aug. 5: U.S. Magistrate Judge Bruce Reinhart in South Florida approves an application for a search warrant, finding the FBI had probable cause to search Mar-a-Lago.

Aug 8: The FBI executes the search at Mar-a-Lago

A list of documents removed from Mr. Trump’s Mar-a-Lago residence include materials marked as top secret and meant to be viewed only in secure government facilities.

In total, the government has recovered more than 300 documents with classified markings including documents from the C.I.A., the National Security Agency and the F.B.I. spanning a variety of topics of national security interest.

Old 08-23-2022, 06:21 AM

5,581 posts, read 2,307,455 times
New NY Times article published evening of 8/22/2022:

Additional video of Mar-a-Lago requested by DOJ After the Aug 8 raid

Documents seized on Aug 8 were found in Trump's office closet as well as the club storage area

Video shows people moving boxes in/out of storage between April and June

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/08/22/u...documents.html

Quote:
Even after the extraordinary decision by the F.B.I. to execute a search warrant at Mar-a-Lago on Aug. 8, investigators have sought additional surveillance footage from the club

[Original] surveillance footage going back 60 days for some areas of the property, stretching back to late April of this year. While much of the footage showed hours of club employees walking through the busy corridor, some of it raised concerns for investigators, according to people familiar with the matter. It revealed people moving boxes in and out, and in some cases, appearing to change the containers some documents were held in.

....found the additional documents in the storage area in the basement of Mar-a-Lago, as well as in a container in a closet in Mr. Trump’s office

Old 08-23-2022, 06:22 AM

16 posts, read 4,156 times
Trump’s motion, filed in a federal court in West Palm Beach, Fla., also demanded that the U.S. Justice Department provide him a more detailed property receipt outlining items the FBI seized from his Mar-a-Lago home during its Aug. 8 search, and asked investigators to return any items outside the scope of the search warrant.

Old 08-23-2022, 06:33 AM

5,581 posts, read 2,307,455 times
https://www.nytimes.com/2022/08/22/u...documents.html
Quote:
In total, the government has recovered more than 300 documents with classified markings from Mr. Trump since he left office....

15 boxes Mr. Trump turned over to the archives in January, nearly a year after he left office, included documents from the C.I.A., the National Security Agency and the F.B.I. spanning a variety of topics of national security interest....Mr. Trump went through the boxes himself in late 2021...

Among the items they knew were missing were Mr. Trump’s original letters from the North Korean dictator Kim Jong-un, and the note that President Barack Obama had left Mr. Trump before he left office.

Two former White House officials, who had been designated as among Mr. Trump’s representatives with the archives, received calls and tried to facilitate the documents’ return.

Mr. Trump resisted those calls, describing the boxes of documents as “mine,”

Old 08-23-2022, 06:35 AM

3,406 posts, read 3,449,665 times
It comes down to does the current President have the right to wave executive privilege on documents of a former president? Former president makes such documents non classified. This will go to supreme court to decide.

Old 08-23-2022, 06:36 AM

13,248 posts, read 7,308,440 times
Quote:

It’s 27 pages long, but easy reading - I promised to post it after it was filed and so I did.

Former Federal Judge Nancy Gertner and former white house attorney John Dean say Trump's latest legal moves and assertions of executive privilege have no legal standing. The legal defense is nothing more than a public relations stunt.

Old 08-23-2022, 07:09 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,379,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
The president picks and delineates the original classification authorities. They work for him, not the other way around. That is a FACT.

There is no process our procedure for the president to, “go and get permission,” from the same damn people he has hand picked to classify information.

What part of “commander in chief” don’t you understand? The president answers to no one when it comes to classification, period.

https://securityawareness.usalearning.gov/oca/index.htm

And you continue to conflate "process" with "permission".

No, the President doesn't need to get permission to declassify most things.

Yes, there is absolutely a process that needs to happen for them to actually be declassified.

Permission - noun - consent; authorization.

Process - noun - a series of actions or steps taken in order to achieve a particular end.

Old 08-23-2022, 07:19 AM

37,174 posts, read 19,194,865 times
Quote:

Evan Corcoran and Christina Bobb are the ones who sent the letter to DOJ in June claiming all the documents had been returned. They may be in jeopardy of being rung up for Obstruction of a Federal Investigation, which, IIRC, carries 20 years.

Those are the ones he uses to handle his scut work. He is finding it all but impossible to interest any of the big law firms in working with him as his defense attorneys.

If he has that covered in the last couple of days, please provide a link to who will be representing him.

Old 08-23-2022, 07:23 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,379,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
Evan Corcoran and Christina Bobb are the ones who sent the letter to DOJ in June claiming all the documents had been returned. They may be in jeopardy of being rung up for Obstruction of a Federal Investigation, which, IIRC, carries 20 years.

Those are the ones he uses to handle his scut work. He is finding it all but impossible to interest any of the big law firms in working with him as his defense attorneys.

If he has that covered in the last couple of days, please provide a link to who will be representing him.
Don't forget the other lady with the strong background in family law. Quite the heavy hitter when it comes to Constitutional questions and the federal government, I'd bet.

Old 08-23-2022, 07:36 AM

8,418 posts, read 4,575,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
They show that the boxes being there and the documents held back in June were no mistake or packing error. He intentionally stole the documents and refused to return them when subpoenaed.

So yeah, I guess they do show intent. I'm open to any other explanation you may care to offer, though.

He tried to give them back and they just told him to put a lock on them. Sounds like FBI approved storage to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies