Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2022, 01:48 PM

37,177 posts, read 19,200,869 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Tom Fitton was never POTUS, so what are you even talking about? I referenced examples prior to Trump of POTUSes declassifying documents/materials/info on the fly, at will.
I'm talking about Judicial Watch, which is as indistinguishable from Tom Fitton as Trump Org is from Trump. It's been all over the real news this morning.

https://thehill.com/regulation/court...fitton-report/

Old 08-26-2022, 01:50 PM

89,011 posts, read 44,824,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
I'm talking about Judicial Watch, which is as indistinguishable from Tom Fitton as Trump Org is from Trump. It's been all over the real news this morning.
https://thehill.com/regulation/court...fitton-report/
I'm talking about POTUSes prior to Trump declassifying as they wished, on the fly. Why are you off topic?

Old 08-26-2022, 01:50 PM

23,563 posts, read 12,535,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
Patel's beliefs are completely irrelevant. Also, what Patel might or might not believe was not part of your claim.

Also in that letter from Corcoran - no actual claim that Trump had declassified anything.
I was citing from Corcoran's letter, not from Patel.
If Corcoran didn't believe that Trump had declassified documents, then he wouldn't have included that bit in his letter since there would not have been any reason to include it.

Old 08-26-2022, 01:52 PM

8,425 posts, read 12,185,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
Are the Walls closing in or is this yet another ant hill that is being pumped up by the Left to become a Mountain of outrage? This same mountain like so many before is sure to fade off into the ether but they will keep it in view right up until November...
Well, as has been summarized:

Quote:
To state it more plainly: The defeated former president is being investigated for potential violation of several statutes pertaining to his illegal retention and storage of official documents containing sensitive secrets.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...rch-takeaways/

Old 08-26-2022, 01:53 PM

29,523 posts, read 19,620,154 times
Quote:
Did you read the affidavit? It specifically mentions that classified documents were out of their folders and tossed in boxes with newspaper clippings, photos, and other personal stuff, and included were notes Trump had made on them. Hardly the way anyone would "pack" anything.
He should have just downloaded them on an unsecured private computer server like a certain secretary of state did. Then maybe the FBI would have dropped the case.

Old 08-26-2022, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
Well, non-government employees can get clearances - I had one as both a GS employee and in the private sector.

Your point is valid, though, it's highly unlikely either of them have one.
I understand, and I also know that there is a process for getting the clearance. Bobb and Corcoran never showed up in the news about MAL until a month or so ago, leading me to believe they were latecomers.

Bobb was a "journalist" at OAN, though, and there are pictures of her in the War Room at the Willard with Giuliani and Eastman. She was close enough to the top that she could possibly have been accepted for a clearance.

Even at that, it is doubtful she would have had sufficient clout or "need to know" to have been able to access nuclear documents or lists of intelligence operatives and informants in the field.

Old 08-26-2022, 01:56 PM

28,353 posts, read 16,381,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by berdee View Post
I was citing from Corcoran's letter, not from Patel.
If Corcoran didn't believe that Trump had declassified documents, then he wouldn't have included that bit in his letter since there would not have been any reason to include it.
Your first post I quoted was regarding Patel, not Corcoran.

The above is assuming facts not in evidence.

If he thought Trump had declassified stuff, why would he not actually make that claim in the letter?

Old 08-26-2022, 01:58 PM

28,353 posts, read 16,381,866 times
Quote:
I understand, and I also know that there is a process for getting the clearance. Bobb and Corcoran never showed up in the news about MAL until a month or so ago, leading me to believe they were latecomers.

Bobb was a "journalist" at OAN, though, and there are pictures of her in the War Room at the Willard with Giuliani and Eastman. She was close enough to the top that she could possibly have been accepted for a clearance.

Even at that, it is doubtful she would have had sufficient clout or "need to know" to have been able to access nuclear documents or lists of intelligence operatives and informants in the field.
Understood and agreed, just clarifying for the folks out there who may not have as much experience with clearances.

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
That's going to be messy. First, they acknowledge they've already been told Trump declassified the documents, then they claim there are classified documents. The affidavit contradicts itself. A good attorney will have a field day with that.

He didn't turn them over while he was POTUS, and doesn't have to do so now. The 2019 court case reaffirms prior court decisions that POTUS has wide discretion to implement the PRA as he sees fit.
Has Trump been able to hire a "good attorney" yet? Last I heard he had Bobb, Corcoran, Alina Habba, and Lindsey Halligan, but no prestige firm would even talk to him.

8,312 posts, read 3,927,691 times
Quote:
Did you read the affidavit? It specifically mentions that classified documents were out of their folders and tossed in boxes with newspaper clippings, photos, and other personal stuff, and included were notes Trump had made on them. Hardly the way anyone would "pack" anything.
The elephant in the room is the reality that Trump or one of his reports digitized/scanned all of these documents. Where are those files? There is probably no way that we can ever be confident that digital copies of this classified information stayed in the USA. There is every likelihood that it is encrypted and sitting on a server, somewhere. Biding time until it can be used as a bargaining chip, perhaps?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies