Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2022, 06:55 PM

2,427 posts, read 3,566,266 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
With less folks paying federal taxes, Dems gotta try to find more money for the free stuff folks. They finally figured out printing and borrowing money isn’t sustainable.
Did it ever occur to you and people who think like you that if everyone followed the rules and stopped trying to take write offs and hide income, then there wouldn't be a need to audit? Why should I have to make up for the tax cheats?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2022, 09:17 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,207,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
You have repeated the stockpiling argument in as many threads as you can.

The expenditure on ammunition is the same amt. that was spent in 2019. Given inflation -- that means they bought less ammunition this year.
Lol. I’ve never mentioned the stockpiling once until my last post but please do prove otherwise?

Old 08-09-2022, 09:21 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,207,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarragon View Post
Did it ever occur to you and people who think like you that if everyone followed the rules and stopped trying to take write offs and hide income, then there wouldn't be a need to audit? Why should I have to make up for the tax cheats?
Sure, and it’s funny how it’s all of a sudden happening now with less paying federal income tax. Long overdue to get able bodied folks off the couch and to work versus collecting free stuff…and let’s not forget Sleepy Joe extending the stimmies, gave folks even more money, let them live rent free, and tried to extend it again but was thankfully shut down.

When is Sleepy Joe going to tax the “rich” as he claimed?

Old 08-10-2022, 03:17 AM

13,388 posts, read 6,440,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
The very notion that they are going to find and hire 87,000 new IRS agents is laughable. Where are they going to come from? Just finding that number of new employees (from all the applicants), hiring only those who are qualified, can pass a drug test, get whatever clearances they need, find office space, and go through training will keep the IRS busy for a decade or more.

Apart from the right-wing hysteria, why should we be soft on tax cheats? Why is increased scrutiny and enforcement a bad thing? We have been hearing for years, and have some prime examples, that the wealthy do not pay taxes as they should. We should be closing the loopholes as well.
Agreed. Not to mention low unemployment rates generally yield very undesirable employees unless you can grab the cream of the crop from the next graduating class.

But, I don't think the 87,000 figure means that many agents. It also depends how the resources are spread between audits by mail and in person audits. They don't use agents for audits by mail. Those employees are lower paid and not required to have tax law or accounting experience/education. They will promote from within for those slots(from the people still processing paper tax returns) and back fill those positions which are mostly seasonal.

They still have some extra space in their large processing sites especially on night shifts.

I suspect that money will also be allowed to be used for retention bonuses to keep the last of the baby boomers on board, moving reimbursements to transfer between offices where they end up with staffing imbalances.

There are a lot of ways they can get creative and I do think the Boomers who retired could have pulled off hiring 87,000 agents in less than a decade lol. They had experience in both opening up and shutting down whole offices/processing sites. That institutional knowledge is long gone.

I don't believe whats being reported until I see IRS saying they are hiring that many agents.

Old 08-10-2022, 05:44 AM

45,226 posts, read 26,443,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondy View Post
Agreed. Not to mention low unemployment rates generally yield very undesirable employees unless you can grab the cream of the crop from the next graduating class.

But, I don't think the 87,000 figure means that many agents. It also depends how the resources are spread between audits by mail and in person audits. They don't use agents for audits by mail. Those employees are lower paid and not required to have tax law or accounting experience/education. They will promote from within for those slots(from the people still processing paper tax returns) and back fill those positions which are mostly seasonal.

They still have some extra space in their large processing sites especially on night shifts.

I suspect that money will also be allowed to be used for retention bonuses to keep the last of the baby boomers on board, moving reimbursements to transfer between offices where they end up with staffing imbalances.

There are a lot of ways they can get creative and I do think the Boomers who retired could have pulled off hiring 87,000 agents in less than a decade lol. They had experience in both opening up and shutting down whole offices/processing sites. That institutional knowledge is long gone.

I don't believe whats being reported until I see IRS saying they are hiring that many agents.
Sure, why not? I mean they give everyone else the benefit of the doubt.

Old 08-10-2022, 07:12 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 2 days ago)

27,177 posts, read 13,461,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
They have less than a third of those numbers at the border.

The IRS employee's union gave $600k to Democrats.

They are going to go after small business owners. Thoughts?
I don't think adding 87,000 new IRS agents will be popular with US voters, who tend to distrust big government and especially agencies such as the IRS.

I think it's game over for the Dems in relation to Mid terms, and they will subsequently have trouble passing a lot of legislation.

Old 08-10-2022, 07:31 AM

18,461 posts, read 7,089,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sholomar View Post
It's funny...the left weaponizes the institutions and then will go and blame the opposition when shots start being fired. It's like the bully who blames the victim when they fight back. Human nature at its best. Just a bunch of sheep running this planet...no more intelligent than the masses they try to rule.

It's no surprise societies rise and fall with some regularity with idiots like this in charge.

Why do you think the want your AR-15?

Old 08-10-2022, 07:34 AM

29,523 posts, read 19,620,154 times
All this money for IRS agents but not for border patrol agents. We know what the left's priorities are. Clowns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbraybarten65 View Post
Nah, neither your title or the OP's title are based on truth.

Oof.

https://time.com/6204928/irs-87000-a...ctcheck-biden/

From the IRS

Quote:
The IRS says the $80 billion boost will go towards operational upgrades, customer service updates, systems modernization, and “increased enforcement.”

Old 08-10-2022, 08:18 AM

2,016 posts, read 3,523,041 times

Old 08-10-2022, 08:26 AM

18,461 posts, read 7,089,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Nope -- they are going after people who aren't paying the tax they should.

So here's the thing. I guess conservatives support ignoring the tax code and paying tax as stated in laws.....if that's the case -- then fight to scrap the tax code.

So that means they're going after the millions of people who pay no taxes at all??

Good to know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies