Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2022, 08:59 PM

5,988 posts, read 3,731,946 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
Classic case of victim blaming.

Unbelievable.
There is considerable disagreement over this "victim" label. If a thief is running to escape a crime scene and gets shot, is he really a "victim"?

"New evidence in Ahmaud Arbery case: He was a thief pretending to be a jogger
By M Dowling -April 25, 202128751

On Feb. 23 last year, Ahmaud Arbery, 25, was shot and killed by the McMichael’s while he was allegedly jogging through a neighborhood near Brunswick, Georgia.

Gregory, 64, and Travis, 34, were charged with murder and aggravated assault and are currently jailed in coastal Glynn County, Georgia. Their neighbor, William “Roddie” Bryan, who filmed the footage on his cellphone, was also charged with murder for trying to “confine and detain” Arbery with his vehicle in the moments leading up to his killing.

They said Arbery looked similar to a man committing burglaries.

Cellphone video showed the father and son confronting him after a neighbor blocked him. They can be seen shooting him at close range.

Arbery was known as ‘The Jogger,’ not because he was actually a jogger, but because he was a robber who pretended to be a jogger according to new evidence.

According to excerpts from the documents, shared by Andy Ngo on Twitter, in August 2018, Arbery was allegedly caught by a woman who saw him in her backyard looking into the windows of her cars and was given a trespass warning by Burke County police officers.

In another alleged incident that took place in October 2018 and captured on a Burke County police officer’s body cam, Arbery and two other juveniles were found in a vacant mobile home and when confronted by authorities he said he was just out jogging. He was later charged with misdemeanor obstruction for running when given lawful commands to stop, according to the report.

Other eye-witness accounts and video evidence details Arbery and his repeated behavior of pretending to be out running and then committing crimes, which apparently also earned him the nickname “The Jogger” by members of his community.

“In 2019 and 2020, local convenience store witness interviews reveal Mr. Arbery became known as ‘The Jogger’ for his repeated conduct and behavior of running up, stretching in front, and then entering several convenience stores where he would grab items and run out before he got caught,” the excerpt read.

“In 2020, witness cell phone video reveals Mr. Arbery was confronted at a convenience store by employees about his theft conduct and behavior. Mr. Arbery, concerned about his thefts, chose to fight a man who worked on location at the adjacent truck stop who tried to confront him about it,” the report stated of another eye-witness account.
"

https://www.independentsentinel.com/...o-be-a-jogger/

Old 08-09-2022, 09:30 PM

46,951 posts, read 25,990,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas863 View Post
There is considerable disagreement over this "victim" label.
A man is chased, cornered and gunned down. Some react with shock, horror, regret. Others look for dirt in his past.

Old 08-09-2022, 09:32 PM

46,951 posts, read 25,990,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas863 View Post
And the guy who did have the gun only shot him when the victim attempted to wrestle the gun away from him.
How gracious.

Old 08-09-2022, 09:38 PM

18,381 posts, read 19,020,549 times
All 3 guilty deserving their sentences

Old 08-09-2022, 10:25 PM

15,047 posts, read 8,871,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
A man is chased, cornered and gunned down. Some react with shock, horror, regret. Others look for dirt in his past.
I owe you a rep for this. Sums it up nicely.

Old 08-09-2022, 10:29 PM

45,582 posts, read 27,187,569 times
The only two things I have to offer...

Don't take the law into your own hands.

Having lived in Brunswick - no way dude was just jogging in that neighborhood.

Old 08-09-2022, 10:51 PM

3,072 posts, read 1,301,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
Odd case especially since it was kind of buried in the legal system until that video went viral.

I get the father/son being sentenced but the guy following in his car really wasn't involved except for videoing it and his video put them all on trial! If he stayed home, they probably would have gotten away with it.

All three of them are going to have a very tough time in prison.
I have no idea how the guy who taped it got anything more than just 6 months in jail

Old 08-09-2022, 11:10 PM

2,185 posts, read 1,382,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie&Rose View Post
If these guys were black....they wouldn`t do any time. Two of them didn`t even have a gun.
Wrong the father and son had guns out, the 3rd guy if he was armed never drew it.

Old 08-09-2022, 11:17 PM

10,214 posts, read 15,927,883 times
This was just a sad situation all around. I don't think the 3 men had any bad intent, they truly suspected Ahmaud of crime not because he was black but because of him personally. Their only mistake was attempting to make the citizens arrest without directly witnessing Ahmaud commit the burglary which made the citizens arrest illegal and hence a "kidnapping" so I understand why under the law the jury found the McMichaels guilty. The most tragic irony is that Ahmaud really was a thief and thug and responded with such violence and thuggery, attempting to kill the men. But because the citizens arrest was illegal, it made Ahmaud's death felony murder even though Ahmaud did attack them first and try to grab their guns and kill them.

There are other videos of Ahmaud in the past being confrontational and irrational with police. Make no mistake Ahmaud was a thief, a criminal, a drug addict, and a thug whose actions led to his own death (much like Trayvon and Michael Brown and Freddie Gray), but the McMichaels mistake in pursuing him without actually seeing him commit his crime made them guilty.

I totally don't understand how the neighbor is guilty though. All he did was join the pursuit after being told Ahmaud was the criminal who had been breaking into homes.

I can tell you that where I live we have unofficial neighborhood watch and a citizens arrest was made after a criminal WAS directly witnessed breaking into someone's shed and trying to steal equipment. Some of my neighbors tied him up and gave him a nice beating before calling the cops, and because the guy was white nothing was made of it, the cops claimed he had fought back during the citizens arrest and neighbors were acting in self defense.

I'd say that if it was up to me the McMichaels deserve 10 years in prison with possibility of parole after 5, while Roddy Bryan deserves maybe 6 months to a year.

Old 08-09-2022, 11:20 PM

13,248 posts, read 7,308,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BELMO45 View Post
I have no idea how the guy who taped it got anything more than just 6 months in jail
Laws were passed in the 1980's 90s to crack down on criminals mostly used against minorities since they commited most of the crimes where 3rd parties who were involved in a felony didn't directly commit a murder someone ended up dead also convicted of murder. It's like the getaway driver in a bank robbery he just sitting in a car waiting, and someone is killed inside the bank the driver will be convicted of felony murder.

The law in Georgia for Felony murder has a life sentence with parole or without parole up to the judge. Mr "Roddie" Bryan who video recorded the shooting he used his truck to box in Mr Arbery several times. This was felony imprisonment the law doesn't allow someone to hold a guy for the police unless they witness a crime that happened right then not 2 weeks ago.

The crime was nothing more then trespassing on a guys property who they didn't even know only though a 3rd guy. There was some racism involved text messages and social media post by Travis, and Roddie. The fact that Travis stood over Arbery and made racial slur's while Arbery was bleeding out. Arbury was alive for several minutes the shots were to the hand, and armpit Travis and his father could have rendered aid to Arbury try to stop the bleeding they didn't because I believe their racist mindset, and anger at him for entering their street and trespassing. They only were concerned with what was going to happen after the shooting.

Next time you want to chase someone down with your guns think about what life will be like for Roddie and two others in a Georgia state prison. Personally unless someone is attacking me in my home I won't be chasing anyone with guns i'll be calling the police. Catching someone like Arbery isn't worth life in prison.

Last edited by kell490; 08-09-2022 at 11:29 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies