Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2022, 08:30 AM

36,226 posts, read 30,671,050 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
Surrogate.

The great equalizer. FACT.

One of the advantages of being a wealthy woman.
I didnt think of that option. I wonder if she and her husband had discussed this.
I guess first her husband would have to agree. Then they would have to find a surrogate. I'm not sure how common it is to use a surrogate for convenience just because you dont want to be pregnant. It is generally for those who can not carry a pregnancy but I guess if you have enough money anything is possible.

Actually, reading her article from which this thread is based if you jump back an article, she did enjoy being and describes herself as very hands on. Also having another child was not the only reason she decided to retire. It might have given her another year but at 41 her days were numbered anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2022, 08:38 AM

8,989 posts, read 6,028,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Another man talks about child birth. Williams is not referring to the care of a baby once born.

She is talking about carrying a fetus and then having a baby and what that does to your body and recovering from it.

She's rich enough to hire a surrogate to carry.

Problem solved.

But it's much easier to be a victim.

Old 08-11-2022, 08:42 AM

88,300 posts, read 84,311,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowGirl View Post
Well, that is biological reality. She's not talking about juggling responsibilities. Men are able to father children without getting pregnant. Pregnancy does get in the way of playing professional sports. I agree I don't feel bad for her, but it's hard to argue against the biological reality.
^I was just going to write this. I just read the linked article. That's what she's saying. It's a biological thing that she's saying "isn't fair", which I think is an odd way to refer to a biological reality, but she's not complaining about a social construct.

Watched her play in Toronto for the last time yesterday. I wish her well.

Old 08-11-2022, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
serena had a very successful, long professional career. the sport of tennis provided her a $200 million fortune. she has a husband who loves her. she has a healthy daughter.

instead of being grateful for all these things above, she is whining?
One or two sentences out of article about her career and decision to retire and you say she is whining? Did you even read the Vouge article she wrote?
She spent most of her life in tennis, working her way to the top. She loved it. She is not happy about retiring but she knows at her age her time as a tennis pro is near its end and if she wants to expand her family she needs to do it now. Some of you all are making her out as a whiner because she is not elated to be at this turning point in her life.
I know some folks who were not elated when they had to retire from their mediocre boring jobs. Major life changes, or transitioning or evolving as she put it, is not always all rainbows and skittles for everyone. That does not mean you are whining about your life.

Old 08-11-2022, 08:43 AM

88,300 posts, read 84,311,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
I didnt think of that option. I wonder if she and her husband had discussed this.
I guess first her husband would have to agree. Then they would have to find a surrogate. I'm not sure how common it is to use a surrogate for convenience just because you dont want to be pregnant. It is generally for those who can not carry a pregnancy but I guess if you have enough money anything is possible.

Actually, reading her article from which this thread is based if you jump back an article, she did enjoy being and describes herself as very hands on. Also having another child was not the only reason she decided to retire. It might have given her another year but at 41 her days were numbered anyway.
Yes, exactly. Even if she wasn't going to try to have a child, how much longer would she have been able to compete?

Old 08-11-2022, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Her life is blessed, fulfilling, and wealthy. She has been celebrated worldwide, and has had a career that will forever be in the record books (at her age, it wasn't going to be much longer anyway, and she wasn't going to set any more records).

Everybody can find someone better off in some way to find a reason to feel sorry for themselves.

Or...we can compare ourselves to the multitude who are doing a lot worse and realize our blessings.

Serena Williams is better off than 98% of the entire world. There are at least 7 billion people who would love to have her life.

Unfair is the life of a 9-year-old rural Nigerian girl who has to choose every morning between going hungry and risking being gang-raped if she goes out to scavenge for food.

Unfair is the life of a woman in Chicago who lived a hard-scrabble, impoverished life for 40 years and then died of exposure in a cardboard box under a bridge.

I'm not playing a violin for Serena Williams, not even a tiny one.
She never said her life was not blessed. She actually talked about how blessed her life was if you actually read the piece she wrote. She was not talking about her life being unfair.
She made a true statement about the unfairness of biological reality.
Its unfair that I spent 35 years of my life bleeding once a month and suffering severe cramps. Does that mean I'm having a pity party about my entire life or just stating a biological reality that I personally think is unfair? If a man says it unfair that men go bald, is he having a pity party about his entire life or stating a biological reality.

Old 08-11-2022, 08:53 AM

1,080 posts, read 587,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Yes, exactly. Even if she wasn't going to try to have a child, how much longer would she have been able to compete?
As the best player in her sport, she has a chance to break the record for the most Grand Slam wins. At 40, she is at the cross roads. For both child bearing and staying at the top of her game.

I'm sure coming back from her last pregnancy and birthing and any other post birth issues, it wasn't easy to get back up to her level of athleticism.

She knows this is her LAST chance to go down in history as the absolute best. She also knows that it won't be easy but doable. I very much doubt she doesn't have the willpower and discipline to win another Grand Slam.

But as a lot of us elders (lol) realize, when we get to 40 and above, things slow down, things hurt, recovery is a lot slower and yes we are slower.

I don't know who she is as a person. But I very much doubt she is a complainer.

Whatever she decides I respect her and her situation and will not judge her like so many sofa athletes.

Old 08-11-2022, 09:04 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,902,269 times
Quote:
^I was just going to write this. I just read the linked article. That's what she's saying. It's a biological thing that she's saying "isn't fair", which I think is an odd way to refer to a biological reality, but she's not complaining about a social construct.

Watched her play in Toronto for the last time yesterday. I wish her well.
I'm sure her children will love the fact that she blames their existence for ending her career.

Old 08-11-2022, 09:06 AM

42,678 posts, read 17,872,014 times
Quote:
She's 40 and hasn't won anything in 5 years and hurt herself at the last match.

She's already over the hill. She also has a kid so she went through this already.
IMHO I think this is just her excuse for retiring, which she should have done years ago.

40 is over the hill for tennis.

Old 08-11-2022, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankNSense View Post
Oh that's all she is saying...

Yea, her life is so unfair she is one of the top tennis players man or woman in the history of the sport. She has a family and apparently still has the opportunity to have more kids. She and her kid(s) won't have to worry about finances for the rest of their lives. But yea it's so unfair that if she was a man she wouldn't have to stop playing because the woman needs to stay home and suffer through the pregnancy.

Nothing is awful that she will miss something she has devoted her life to. It is the reason. It isn't that she is content with her life. It isn't that she is ready to go on with the next phase of her life. She goes out saying that she is only making this choice because she is not a man.

I wish her well in her life and have no problem with her choice. But I haven't seen anything that makes me think she is "fine with it" and I'm not going to pretend that she has shown any indication that she doesn't truly think that if she was a man she could still be playing. That is NOT someone who is content and fine with their decision. It has "regret" written all over it.
Did you read her article? Tell me where she says her life is so unfair. Tell me where she says if she wasn't a man she wouldn't have to stop playing. She knows at her age the end is near anyway. If she didnt need to go ahead with this pregnancy due to her age she might have a couple more years in tennis. It is not whining to state that a man does not have to make that choice, it is just a fact.

No, she is not fine with leaving what has been pretty much her life. She states she isnt totally happy with retirement, that she will miss it. Truth be told many of us are not ecstatic with life changes and choices but we move onto the next phase just as she is doing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies