Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2022, 09:02 PM

6,015 posts, read 2,838,772 times

Advertisements

https://www.thecentersquare.com/illi...dd559c504.html

I hope the Republican Gubernatorial candidate runs ad after ad showcasing this...

And, Governor Pritzker defended letting accused murderers out of jail, too.

From the article:
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Center Square
The Safety, Accountability, Fairness and Equity-Today Act, or SAFE-T Act, abolishes cash bail beginning in January 2023, overhauls police training, and includes other measures.

Pritzker has come under fire recently as opponents of the criminal justice measure say it will allow violent criminals to return to the street.

At a recent event, Will County State's Attorney Jim Glasgow pushed for a repeal of the SAFE-T Act.

"It will destroy the state of Illinois," Glasgow said. "I have 640 people in the Will County jail. All their bonds will be extinguished on Jan. 1, and 60 are charged with murder.

Pritzker also said that the elimination of cash bail prevents low-level, poorer criminals from sitting in jail for months at a time.

"We do not want someone in jail because they were arrested for a low-level crime like shoplifting to be sitting in jail for months or maybe even years," Pritzker said. "At the same time, someone who is a wealthy drug dealer, perhaps accused of murder and arrested, can show up with a suitcase full of money and get out of jail."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2022, 06:59 AM

78,364 posts, read 60,556,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerTheRefridgerator View Post
Keyword ‘accused’.
Like the Uvalde school shooter.

Just let him out, after all he's just accused and no real threat to the public in the 18-24 months it takes to complete his trial.

Old 08-10-2022, 07:15 AM

24,475 posts, read 17,215,678 times
What is it with the Democrats? When they go in on something they go all in.

When it comes to Abortion Rights I think most of us agree that a woman should be allowed to get an abortion early in the pregnancy but that is not good enough for the Dems. They want Abortions to be legal right up to the point when baby is being naturally delivered.

The same goes for this No Bail idea. I think most of us can agree that for a first time low level offense by a person that cannot afford bail then it should be waived. It would be ridiculous to keep someone in jail while they await the trial for say shoplifting but this is not good enough for the Dems. They want everyone no matter the crime and no matter if that person is a career criminal to enjoy the no bail reform rule.

This is so dumb but what else should we expect from the party of "Feelings over Thought" ?

I think what it comes down to is that states do not want to keep criminals in jails or prisons because it is costly to do so. We also saw issues during the pandemic when our politicians got nervous that Covid was going to infect the prison population and kill many of them. It is the responsibility of the State to take care of their prisoners and if suddenly there were many deaths there could also be many lawsuits so at least in my state, MA. low level offenders were let out early.

Letting out everyone including murder suspects due to No Bail is stupid. There might be some that are in for attempted murder and letting them out would allow them to finish the job.

Old 08-10-2022, 07:44 AM

25,710 posts, read 18,784,900 times
Quote:
Keyword ‘accused’.
At one point, Jeffrey Dahmer was only "accused." Should he have walked until trial? Maybe cut off a couple more kids' heads before returning voluntarily to be tried and convicted of murder?

Old 08-10-2022, 07:51 AM

29,464 posts, read 14,635,166 times
Wow, again, more proof that many of these Democratic politicians are on the side of criminals.

Old 08-10-2022, 08:06 AM

78,364 posts, read 60,556,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
Letting out everyone including murder suspects due to No Bail is stupid. There might be some that are in for attempted murder and letting them out would allow them to finish the job.
...or go after the witnesses.

...or get greeted by the rival gang member whose buddy he killed.

I wonder how many of those 60, if released, would stay out of trouble until their court date?

25% at most imo.

Old 08-10-2022, 08:24 AM

30,628 posts, read 18,209,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
At one point, Jeffrey Dahmer was only "accused." Should he have walked until trial? Maybe cut off a couple more kids' heads before returning voluntarily to be tried and convicted of murder?
Yep. Everyone is accused until they are found guilty in court. Where there is probable cause to charge someone with murder, such cases shouldn’t result in people being let out onto the streets

Old 08-10-2022, 08:54 AM

23,541 posts, read 17,216,356 times
The left can see no further than bumper sticker deep. A life of no consequential considerations.

Old 08-10-2022, 10:46 AM

4,942 posts, read 3,049,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Like the Uvalde school shooter.

Just let him out, after all he's just accused and no real threat to the public in the 18-24 months it takes to complete his trial.

I fail to understand why they don't simply perform no cash bail for non-violent offenders; and hold the accused murderers.

Old 08-10-2022, 10:53 AM

9,499 posts, read 4,337,574 times
Quote:
Keyword ‘accused’.
Jeebus. My mamma taught me to not say anything if I can't say anything nice. I'm not going to say anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies