U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2022, 07:34 AM

2,693 posts, read 867,867 times

Advertisements

They'll make us trade in our cars for electric bikes
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2022, 07:38 AM

41,928 posts, read 22,959,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artisan10 View Post
They'll make us trade in our cars for electric bikes
Or you can take advantage of some poorly run crime ridden urine smelling metro transportation system

Old 08-11-2022, 07:40 AM

14,733 posts, read 6,477,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suesbal View Post
From your rooftop solar panel?
Those are busy powering the hot water heater ...

Old 08-11-2022, 07:44 AM

4,263 posts, read 2,980,494 times
CA will establish a driving ration system, then exempt the state government.

Old 08-11-2022, 07:50 AM

25,296 posts, read 13,437,631 times
As much as theyre pushed, or spoken of as such a great thing, it makes me wonder what I'm missing. If simple questions cant be readily answered, it leads me to be a bit cynical about the whole thing.

Old 08-11-2022, 08:03 AM

560 posts, read 240,319 times
I work for an electric utility at one of the largest remaining coal power plants in the country. As of right now we're slated for about 2 more decades of operations. Lot of work to do in that time to replace those megawatts. And as many point out there's a big difference between base load generation and wind or solar.

Also it's not just where the power is going to come from, but how are we going to get it where it needs to go? The infrastructure especially in older residential areas is going to have a hard time keeping up when more and more people start plugging in EVs. Upgrading the infrastructure is very costly and customers don't want to pay it.

Old 08-11-2022, 08:08 AM

14,227 posts, read 8,868,970 times
There are 90,000 dams in the country but only 3% of them are setup for hydroelectric generation. But currently it takes more red tape to get one of those approved than a nuclear facility.

Why hydropower is the forgotten giant of clean energy

Last edited by notnamed; 08-11-2022 at 08:28 AM..

Old 08-11-2022, 08:12 AM

4,671 posts, read 1,665,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Or you can take advantage of some poorly run crime ridden urine smelling metro transportation system
the left would rather us ride a mule powered jitney (the mule being a human obviously because animal cruelty)

Old 08-11-2022, 08:19 AM

970 posts, read 433,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltine View Post
As much as theyre pushed, or spoken of as such a great thing, it makes me wonder what I'm missing. If simple questions cant be readily answered, it leads me to be a bit cynical about the whole thing.
No, this question can be answered simply. It's just that the other posters here aren't interested in constructive conversation; they'd rather make cynical comments.

The electricity from an EV comes from your power company, and that power, today, is usually 1) natural gas, 2) nuclear, or 3) coal. A small, but rapidly growing percentage of that energy will come from solar and wind power. Some days in California (days, not nights) solar energy accounts for over 50% of energy consumed. In Texas, solar energy panels installed in the last year were credited for ensuring the power stayed on during the harsh heat waves this summer.

So yes, if you bought an EV today, odds are the electricity you put into the car was created at the source using fossil fuels. But keep in mind, that a natural gas power plant is WAAAAAAAAY more efficient at burning gas than a Ford Explorer. Even if you're getting your energy from a natural gas power plant, and using that to charge your EV, you're reducing your carbon footprint significantly. More EVs means the power grid will be more taxed, but there are solutions to this. Solar panels are a great deal these days. If more people get solar panels, more power enters the system (and those people with solar panels will save hundreds in energy costs per year). We should also consider reviving nuclear in this country. The technology is reliable, the energy is green, and it is safer than ever.

Last edited by midnight_thunder; 08-11-2022 at 08:22 AM.. Reason: and wind

Old 08-11-2022, 08:21 AM

970 posts, read 433,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
There are 90,000 dams in the country but only 3% of them are setup for hydroelectric generation. But currently it takes more red tape to get one of those approved than a nuclear facility.
I didn't know that. That's a shame, considering I know Canada gets so much energy (and lots of the Northeast USA too) from Quebec's hydroelectric dams.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies