U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2022, 09:52 AM

14,252 posts, read 10,244,317 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
There are 90,000 dams in the country but only 3% of them are setup for hydroelectric generation. But currently it takes more red tape to get one of those approved than a nuclear facility.

Why hydropower is the forgotten giant of clean energy
Dems have been on a dam removing rampage .... Because you know fish might not be able to swim upstream. . Can't win with them. They operate on emotions so they assume everything will simply work out in the end, without fully thinking things through.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2022, 09:55 AM

69,278 posts, read 52,138,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midnight_thunder View Post
I live in a colder climate, and I have solar panels. Solar panels can absolutely generate over 100% of the power you consume. No retrofitting was required, and installation was included in the price. It was surprisingly cheap to install, and with the new 30% tax credit, will be even cheaper. I urge you to look into installation yourself. I think you'll be surprised by the truth.

The electric company pays to replace the meter, not you. You don't need a battery either, I agree those are a few years away from being ubiquitous. Yes, we do need more energy. But we have options. Solar panels will help. Offshore wind will help too. Keeping nuclear plants open, and opening more of them, will help even more. These aren't unsolvable problems. But once we transition, we will live in a country that doesn't rely on despots in Saudi Arabia, Russia, China, or Venezuela for energy. We will have our own, and it will be cheap.
Yeah, I'm all for renewables and sensible policy.

There just seems to be too much politics and not enough common sense at times balancing what we WANT with how to actually get there without making a mess of things.

Old 08-11-2022, 10:11 AM

970 posts, read 434,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Yeah, I'm all for renewables and sensible policy.

There just seems to be too much politics and not enough common sense at times balancing what we WANT with how to actually get there without making a mess of things.
Well I don't have an answer for you as to how to take the politics out of it. Some people have it in their minds that "green energy" is bad because liberals like it.

I begrudgingly agree that it's going to take compromise to get America on renewable energy. That's why the Inflation Reduction Act gave a ton of goodies to the fossil fuel industry. We can't snap our fingers and be green, we will need fossil fuels for a couple decades.

My hope is that, with the new subsidies, conservatives might look at the cost of solar panels, and the ROI, and make a non-political, purely economical decision. Adding solar panels will save most people money. If you have the ability to pay in cash, you recoup in about 7 years usually (maybe less with costs coming down). If you put zero money down on one of those 30 year loans they're offering, you end up paying a ton of interest, but you should be saving around $30-50 per month because the solar loan payment will be less than your electric bill would have been.

Old 08-11-2022, 10:11 AM

14,229 posts, read 8,872,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltine View Post
Electricity will be in incredibly high demand. Roof panels are hardly going to supply a home with enough juice especially colder climates, besides the cost of retrofitting and installation costs make that unrealistic. You need duel meters, a gigantic battery if you can afford to do that route. etc etc. Its just not viable there. We would need more nuke plants, transmission etc. Im not discounting it, but it really is waaay off in the future. Im not ready for skyrocketing energy bills and blackouts. Would like to see the clear vision, and not 'pie in the sky'
? In colder climates heating is mostly natural gas so electric use plummets in the winter.

Old 08-11-2022, 10:14 AM

6,953 posts, read 2,549,205 times
Liberals believe that electricity is created by magic and there is no cost associated with it, much like they believe money is created by magic and there are no consequences associated with spending money one doesn't have. Their collective cognitive dissonance is fascinating in a train wreck sort of way.

Old 08-11-2022, 10:15 AM

451 posts, read 121,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltine View Post
Where will the electricity for EV's come from? What will it do to the cost of electricity? Many other questions, but these are the most obvious. Sincerely wondering.
Coal and gas and it will continue to raise electricity prices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
? In colder climates heating is mostly natural gas so electric use plummets in the winter.
Well the plan is to transition away from natural gas heating as well. Though I bet gas heating will outlast ICE cars.

3,724 posts, read 1,957,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
the electricity will come from power plants that use fossil fuels and nuclear energy. We will need to build a lot of them too,

We better start now on the nuclear, as only 2 more are scheduled to come online next year; both in Georgia. There aren't any even scheduled for new construction after this, and take 3-5 years for completion.

Old 08-11-2022, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by osu1978 View Post
Yes, energy costs are probably going to keep rising, so if you live in a state that does net metering on solar panels, you will insulate yourself from rising energy costs by adding solar panels.

Old 08-11-2022, 10:16 AM

25,302 posts, read 13,437,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by osu1978 View Post
This is todays reality. Its unfeasible.
Quote:
Originally Posted by midnight_thunder View Post
I live in a colder climate, and I have solar panels. Solar panels can absolutely generate over 100% of the power you consume. No retrofitting was required, and installation was included in the price. It was surprisingly cheap to install, and with the new 30% tax credit, will be even cheaper. I urge you to look into installation yourself. I think you'll be surprised by the truth.

The electric company pays to replace the meter, not you. You don't need a battery either, I agree those are a few years away from being ubiquitous. Yes, we do need more energy. But we have options. Solar panels will help. Offshore wind will help too. Keeping nuclear plants open, and opening more of them, will help even more. These aren't unsolvable problems. But once we transition, we will live in a country that doesn't rely on despots in Saudi Arabia, Russia, China, or Venezuela for energy. We will have our own, and it will be cheap.
How do you heat? Ac? Cloudy days?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies